Posted to sci.electronics.repair
moonlite

Default RTV silicone good as gasket for TV's ?

Has anyone used high temp RTV silicone as gasket for projo TV CRT's ?
My supplier wants too much $$ for a gasket I need to seal a projo TV
CRT. I drained it of coolant liquid and want to refill with new one.
Thanks

moonlite

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art

Leakage all over the inside of the set, onto the circuit boards, through the
yokes, etc, can be at least as expensive as the gasket set. "of course, this
is just my own opinion"! Try the RTV, if you like it, go for it!
"kip" wrote in message
.. .
Do the job right and get the gasket..

kip
"moonlite" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone used high temp RTV silicone as gasket for projo TV CRT's ?
My supplier wants too much $$ for a gasket I need to seal a projo TV
CRT. I drained it of coolant liquid and want to refill with new one.
Thanks

moonlite

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

moonlite wrote:
Has anyone used high temp RTV silicone as gasket for projo TV CRT's ?
My supplier wants too much $$ for a gasket I need to seal a projo TV
CRT. I drained it of coolant liquid and want to refill with new one.
Thanks

moonlite

It might work for a while, but having done a few of these jobs I can say
it's something I'd much rather not repeat, it's worth it to buy the
right parts so you don't have to tear it apart and start over.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

You'd be best off using the right gasket materials. If not, and it leaks,
the repair is going to be much more expensive!

--

JANA
_____

"moonlite" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone used high temp RTV silicone as gasket for projo TV CRT's ?
My supplier wants too much $$ for a gasket I need to seal a projo TV
CRT. I drained it of coolant liquid and want to refill with new one.
Thanks

moonlite

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gb

"moonlite" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone used high temp RTV silicone as gasket for projo TV CRT's ?
My supplier wants too much $$ for a gasket I need to seal a projo TV
CRT. I drained it of coolant liquid and want to refill with new one.
Thanks

moonlite

Read the label on RTV very carefully - not inert. I would not want some of
the out gassing in a proj TV.

gb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS

In article .com, "moonlite" wrote:
Has anyone used high temp RTV silicone as gasket for projo TV CRT's ?
My supplier wants too much $$ for a gasket I need to seal a projo TV
CRT. I drained it of coolant liquid and want to refill with new one.
Thanks

moonlite

I think some form of copper is used in the high temp stuff. Regular
rtv goes up to 400 degrees F anyway. Permatex makes that blue
rtv gasket stuff, guareented not to leak. Ultrablue. This
stuff is also electronic grade or sensor safe.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe

On 22 Nov 2005 09:56:35 -0800, "moonlite" wrote:

Has anyone used high temp RTV silicone as gasket for projo TV CRT's ?
My supplier wants too much $$ for a gasket I need to seal a projo TV
CRT. I drained it of coolant liquid and want to refill with new one.
Thanks

moonlite

Sony did make some projection CRTs in the 80's that were sealed with
RTV instead of a gasket and screws. The seals never leaked, but they
were a nightmare to disassemble to change the fluid. After cleaning I
reassembled them with regular RTV and, as far as I know, none ever
leaked.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005