DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Thompson GE 46GW947 RP TV, no power, squeaks (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/132168-thompson-ge-46gw947-rp-tv-no-power-squeaks.html)

Andross November 21st 05 09:35 AM

Thompson GE 46GW947 RP TV, no power, squeaks

According to the original owner, the tv turned off while she was
watching it. Then when she plugged it in, it would make a 'click'.
When I got it from her, I plugged it in and I found the noise wasn't
a click, but a sort of chirp or squeek. It happens in about 1-2
second intervals and continues for a short time after the TV is
unplugged. I'm not sure what it is, because I know of a number of
components that can make this noise or cause another component to
make it. I know the noise isn't coming from the speakers, which I did
get to initialize, and there are no visible arcs inside the machine. I
read somewhere else that it could be the High Voltage splitter. Any
input would be grateful. Thanks.

John-Del November 21st 05 12:54 PM

Thompson GE 46GW947 RP TV, no power, squeaks

That noise is from the SMPS starting and shutting down, usually from
over current. *ANY* short on the secondary side of the SMPS will cause
this. Typical failures are secondary power supply diodes and caps, bad
HOTs, bad Flys, shorted HV splitters, shorted vert amps, shorted audio
amps. There are other causes, but these are the most common. Get a
manual and localize the load.

John

Andross November 22nd 05 01:36 AM

Thompson GE 46GW947 RP TV, no power, squeaks

Do you know where I might find a manual, I've looked all over the
internet and can't even find pay manuals.

kip November 22nd 05 01:47 AM

Thompson GE 46GW947 RP TV, no power, squeaks

Go here...

http://www.thomsonnetwork.com/unprot...CC3280,00.html

kip