Posted to sci.electronics.repair
electman

Default Sony SLV-R5UC - purple pic in EE - bad cap, which one?

Hello All,

I need your help, desperately. I have an old VHS Sony SLV-R5UC.
Playback of a self-recorded tape has a purple tint on the bright
portions of the picture. Playback of a pre-recorded tape is OK.

If you were to simply record color bars, or any other test pattern, you
can't see a problem. But, if you record from the tuner, you can see
it, plain as day. I know it's a cap, just don't know which one. I've
changed so many, but can't seem to find 'the one'.

Doesn't mater if it's VHS, or SVHS.

Can any of you out there lend me a helping hand with this one? Your
assistance would be much appreciated.

When replying by email, please remove the nospam_ or it wont get
through.....

Thanks!

Electman

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
electman

Nope. It's a capacitor problem, as noted. Two different units are
doing the same thing, one not as bad as the other. Just need to find
the right person that knows which capacitor it is.

No loose connections, been there done that.

electman

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

"electman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nope. It's a capacitor problem, as noted. Two different units are
doing the same thing, one not as bad as the other. Just need to find
the right person that knows which capacitor it is.

No loose connections, been there done that.

electman

There is a color noise-cancelling adjustment in the service manual. Helped
with mine.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
electman

What exactly do you mean 'helped'? Did it fix the problem? Was the
problem purple hue's, on bright portions of the picture?

Thanks!

Electman

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

The problem was blotchy or smeared red flesh tones, adjustment fixed the
problem. There was a service bulletin on this.

Mark Z.

"electman" wrote in message
oups.com...
What exactly do you mean 'helped'? Did it fix the problem? Was the
problem purple hue's, on bright portions of the picture?

Thanks!

Electman

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
electman

Mark,

Badaboom!

No service bulletin on this problem, I'm live with Sony, and I've the
manual and the alignment manual...

The alignment you spoke of did however solve my problem, BOOM.

What is the old saying? Go through the alignments FIRST.. then you'll
know if you've a problem.... This thing has been on my mind for quite
some time, and I must say that you've made me (not to mention the
customer) quite happy.

Thanks again,

'electman'

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

"electman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mark,

Badaboom!

No service bulletin on this problem, I'm live with Sony, and I've the
manual and the alignment manual...

The alignment you spoke of did however solve my problem, BOOM.

What is the old saying? Go through the alignments FIRST.. then you'll
know if you've a problem.... This thing has been on my mind for quite
some time, and I must say that you've made me (not to mention the
customer) quite happy.

Thanks again,

'electman'

The service bulletin was in their old FPRIS field problem reporting system.
Lots of the old info hasn't made it over to the new system. A Sony higher-up
field service manager called us a few weeks back to see if we would look up
a part for him. The didn't have the old manuals anymore!

Glad that worked out for you!

Mark Z.