Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Chris F.

Default Bad Tuner?

Got this 32" Sony right now, don't have the model # handy but it's a '99
model. Nothing but snow with a few barely visible lines, looks like it's
trying to tune something in but not succeeding. A/V input works fine. The
customer was not in possesion of it when it quit, so they aren't sure if it
was hit by lightning or not.
To confirm that the tuner was bad, I first checked all supply voltages to
the tuner - all were perfect. I then injected a signal into the IF output of
the tuner - this produced a good solid image. That probably confirms a bad
tuner, but I want to be absolutely sure before I replace it (a replacement
runs about $150). I don't have a lot of experience with tuners because
customers seldom ever bother to have them replaced.
So have I diagnosed this properly? Or is there anything else I should
check?
Thanks for any advice.