Old October 29th 05, 02:29 AM
fybar

Default Missing coax connector on TV

We moved a few months ago and just got out our spare TV to set up in the
basement. I went to connect to the cable up and the coax connector is
missing. The plastic is broken around the area. I see two coiled wires,
one copper and one red and the edge of a board. It is a Citizen
model:JCTV3413B. Can I get a new coax connector and connect it? I would
like to try doing this myself if at all possible.

Any advice apprecitated.

fybar

Old October 29th 05, 05:01 AM
Jason D.

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:29:53 -0500, fybar
wrote:

We moved a few months ago and just got out our spare TV to set up in the
basement. I went to connect to the cable up and the coax connector is
missing. The plastic is broken around the area. I see two coiled wires,
one copper and one red and the edge of a board. It is a Citizen
model:JCTV3413B. Can I get a new coax connector and connect it? I would
like to try doing this myself if at all possible.

Any advice apprecitated.

fybar

Fybar, sorry to say this, the thin yellow and red copper wires was
specially wound open core coils and little piece of board ripped out
of that tuner. Best to take unit to shop and have them replace this
tuner, is still available from Citizen. Find shop that is authorized
to repair these.

Cheers, Wizard
Old October 29th 05, 08:58 AM
James Sweet

fybar wrote:
We moved a few months ago and just got out our spare TV to set up in the
basement. I went to connect to the cable up and the coax connector is
missing. The plastic is broken around the area. I see two coiled wires,
one copper and one red and the edge of a board. It is a Citizen
model:JCTV3413B. Can I get a new coax connector and connect it? I would
like to try doing this myself if at all possible.

Any advice apprecitated.

fybar

Your best bet is probably to replace the tuner, you can do that yourself
if you know how to solder. Tuners can be expensive but sometimes they're
reasonable, and it's possible someone might have a good tuner from a
junk set.
Old October 29th 05, 02:18 PM
spudnuty

Actually I've repaired a problem like this on a Sony 27" I got at a
garage sale for $1, The sellers kids had ripped the coax out of the
back taking the connector and a few of the coils with it. All the parts
were still there and I was able to reassemble them and rewind the
broken coils with guesswork. It's been working fine now for 5 years.
You could attempt this if you want the experience and you're good at
soldering.
Richard

Old October 29th 05, 04:17 PM
Tom MacIntyre

wrote:

We moved a few months ago and just got out our spare TV to set up in the
basement. I went to connect to the cable up and the coax connector is
missing. The plastic is broken around the area. I see two coiled wires,
one copper and one red and the edge of a board. It is a Citizen
model:JCTV3413B. Can I get a new coax connector and connect it? I would
like to try doing this myself if at all possible.

Any advice apprecitated.

fybar

Is the blocking capacitor still there? If so, I'd use the stock RCA
connector. What I usually did if the connector was too big for the
opening is remove one or two sections of the part of the connector
that goes inside the TV, and heavily solder the connector to the tuner
on the outside. You'd probably have to see one of those connectors to
know what I am referring to.

Tom
Old October 29th 05, 04:26 PM
Leonard Haney

You might be able to get a rebuilt tuner from Tip Top Tuner for $27 which
includes shipping. Check them out at: http://tiptoptuner.com/
Or call them at 818-345-1974 to see if they have a replacement in stock. I
didn't see Citizen listed though, but I'd call them anyway. Get any part
numbers off of the tuner itself to help them cross-reference it.

If they have it in stock, all you have to do is remove your old one and send
it to them as a core. I've done this recently and the turn around is about
1 week.

Good luck,

Lenny

Old October 29th 05, 05:42 PM
Ken G.

Here we go again ... This is not a big deal you dont need to replace the
tuner . Any honest tv shop could replace the jack and charge 25to 35$ .
I have replaced many of these even if the edge of the board was chipped
off .

Old October 29th 05, 05:49 PM
Sam Goldwasser

wrote:

We moved a few months ago and just got out our spare TV to set up in the
basement. I went to connect to the cable up and the coax connector is
missing. The plastic is broken around the area. I see two coiled wires,
one copper and one red and the edge of a board. It is a Citizen
model:JCTV3413B. Can I get a new coax connector and connect it? I would
like to try doing this myself if at all possible.

Any advice apprecitated.

fybar

Is the blocking capacitor still there? If so, I'd use the stock RCA
connector. What I usually did if the connector was too big for the
opening is remove one or two sections of the part of the connector
that goes inside the TV, and heavily solder the connector to the tuner
on the outside. You'd probably have to see one of those connectors to
know what I am referring to.

Make sure that blocking capacitor is still there or it is replaced with
the proper part. If it's what I think Tom is referring to, it's a safety-
critical component.

Old October 29th 05, 07:22 PM
James Sweet

Ken G. wrote:
Here we go again ... This is not a big deal you dont need to replace the
tuner . Any honest tv shop could replace the jack and charge 25to 35$ .
I have replaced many of these even if the edge of the board was chipped
off .

But didn't he say a few of the coils were ruined? A shop might be able
to repair the tuner but most would probably replace it, and he asked
about repairing it himself in which case replacing the tuner would be
the way to go if he's inexperienced, depending on cost of course.