DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   RCA CTC 203CX (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/126452-rca-ctc-203cx.html)

Karen Ray-Stewart October 25th 05 03:41 PM

RCA CTC 203CX

I have an RCA CTC 203CX, the high output transistor keeps blowing,
Q4401. R4509 has changed colours ... is the measurement for this 220 OHMS 1
W??

R4305 a 22 Ohm resistor (?), has changed in value to 2 1/2 k ohms.

R4119 has also fried in the set. It measures at 15 k ohms and should be 10
ohms. The capacitor that is in conjuntion with this resistor is C4111 and
has also lowered in value. Are these values correct for these parts
according to schematics ?? Is there anything else I should be checking for
?

Also an audible squeal from the flyback transformer when AC is supplied.
Which makes me think there is an overload, something drawing to much current
??

Please help !!

James

Karen Ray-Stewart October 25th 05 05:42 PM

RCA CTC 203CX

did you send something ....?? I am not seeing my message on this
newsgroup.. did a search for my message and didn't find it that way
either....
thanks
Kanen

.. .

[email protected] October 26th 05 08:34 PM

RCA CTC 203CX

I don't see any other responses from Kip, either.

What else have you replaced besides Q4401? IME, it's rare for the HOT
to blow without anything else either causing it or being taken out by
it. I don't have a service manual in front of me, but there are some
caps in parallel with the HOT side of the flyback that should be
replaced at the same time. If they fail, they cause a huge voltage
spike that will blow the HOT again. Sometimes right away, sometimes in
a few months.

However... that audible squeal is bothersome. How is the B+ voltage,
and the standby voltages? That should not be an overload, after all the
TV draws one or two hundred watts when on and doesn't make squealing
noises normally.

Karen Ray-Stewart October 26th 05 08:56 PM

RCA CTC 203CX

I can't find my message on the group posted on the 24th, that's why I
reposted..... so I am also not getting any answers that were posted in reply
to my message....
Don't know why my post from yesterday is not showing up on my computer.
Karen

[email protected] October 26th 05 11:36 PM

RCA CTC 203CX

Oh, I get it now. This is a repost, and Kip replied to your original.

So what about what Kip and I said?

And are you Karen or James?

Tony Marsillo October 27th 05 01:41 AM

RCA CTC 203CX

Here is Karen or James origional post and Kip's response:

Did you remove the little choke near the Q4401 ( L14401 )
clean the holes and remove the glue then reinsert.
This is famous for blowing the Q4401. and so are the Flybacks.

--
Tony Marsillo
Nutmeg Repair
ps.com...

Karen Ray-Stewart October 27th 05 11:24 PM

RCA CTC 203CX

Yes this was a repost, as for some reason only Kip seems to be able to see
the original, I can't find it anyplace on the group, and hence did not
receive any responses to my question.

To clear up the James/Karen thing, it is the both of us, I am the owner
and James is the tech/my DH. I do the typing/posting, Other office stuff)
and he does the repairing. Hope that clears up the misunderstanding.

He is going to try what Kip said and we'll let you know what happens...

He is still not sure about res. 4509 220 ohms, it was burnt to the point
that we could not read the colours, don't have schematics, he hopes it is
red red brown not red red red. The colours are hard to make out as the res.
was so bad. It's like art sometimes, even under all the lights in the shop.

thanks
Karen & James

ps.com...

[email protected] November 2nd 05 02:11 AM

RCA CTC 203CX

I don't have a service manual for that set, I see a free download for
CTC203AA5 and AA9 on this site:
http://www.samswebsite.com/photofact...SAMPLE_420.PDF

It shows R14509 on the 14.3V line, off of CR14704, which comes from pin
6 of T14401. Does that ring a bell? In this set, it's 300 ohms at 2W
and seems to be just there to drain C14711 when the set is turned off.

One of the hazards of working as an independent contractor- no access
to service manuals at home.

Yep, shading on color codes can be slightly different shades from one
maker to the next, even. I favor the sunlight fluorescents, because
"soft white" tubes put out an orangish light similar to incandescent.

[email protected] November 2nd 05 02:13 AM

RCA CTC 203CX

Oh, yeah, I always resolder the HOT driver transformer.