David Sewell

Default Sharp tv not so sharp

Hi,
I recently got a Sharp widescreen tv. My brother has just got a Sony
widescreen same size as mine. The Sony is much brighter and sharper than
mine. Is this because of more complex circuitry, or a better quality tube
in the Sony?
Thanks.
David

David Sewell wrote:
Hi,
I recently got a Sharp widescreen tv. My brother has just got a Sony
widescreen same size as mine. The Sony is much brighter and sharper than
mine. Is this because of more complex circuitry, or a better quality tube
in the Sony?
Thanks.
David

To start with, sharp is generally inferior overall quality- wise to
Sony, plus Sony use the trinitron tube design (the tube has fine wires
instead of the usual shadowmask) which some say gives a sharper and
brighter picture. (Others however say it is too 'revealing' or gritty
and claim the aforementioned lines are visible.)

That said, to make the best of your sharp set,I advise you to check the
picture settings - many sets tend to come shipped with the brightness
and contrast etc pushed way up, or generally not well adjusted.
ideally you need to make the adjustments depending on your personal
taste and the viewing area. As a rule, your brightness ought to be set
so that black parts of the scene (peoples' coats, for example) are no
brighter than the screen itself, and contrast set so as white areas
have no trailing or jagged edges on vertical lines.
hope this helps
-B.

David Sewell

"b" wrote in message
oups.com...

David Sewell wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I've tried various settings of brightness and contrast and there is
no way to get a match to the Sony. The detail is just not there. I notice
it is possible to see that the left and right sides of the picture phospher
strips are more visible than the central area. Just a crap tv I guess.
Thanks,
David

Jerry G.

You will not be able to get the performance from your Sharp set as that
of the Sony. I would suggest trading it in for the same model that your
friend has.

If you take a look at the new Sony and Panasinic HDTV plasma and LCD
flat panel sets, they're stunning. There is an old saying, "When you
buy a reputable product, you get what you pay for".

Jerry G.

David Sewell

"Jerry G." wrote in message
oups.com...

If you take a look at the new Sony and Panasinic HDTV plasma and LCD
flat panel sets, they're stunning.
Jerry G.

Thanks, But I read somewhere that a good quality crt tube gives better
resolution than plasma and lcd? hope that statement don't start a blitz!!

David

Darmok

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:35:07 +0100, "David Sewell"
wrote:

"Jerry G." wrote in message
roups.com...

If you take a look at the new Sony and Panasinic HDTV plasma and LCD
flat panel sets, they're stunning.
Jerry G.

Thanks, But I read somewhere that a good quality crt tube gives better
resolution than plasma and lcd? hope that statement don't start a blitz!!

David

Wont' get any argument from me. My HDTV is a Sony KD-34XBR960 ... its
a 34" (widescreen) CRT. The picture is, simply, the best picture I've
ever seen on any TV set of any make, size or style ... Period!

Bill
David Sewell

"Darmok" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:35:07 +0100, "David Sewell"
wrote:

"Jerry G." wrote in message
roups.com...

If you take a look at the new Sony and Panasinic HDTV plasma and LCD
flat panel sets, they're stunning.
Jerry G.

Thanks, But I read somewhere that a good quality crt tube gives better
resolution than plasma and lcd? hope that statement don't start a blitz!!

David

Wont' get any argument from me. My HDTV is a Sony KD-34XBR960 ... its
a 34" (widescreen) CRT. The picture is, simply, the best picture I've
ever seen on any TV set of any make, size or style ... Period!

Bill

And I'm sure the old Thorn Ferguson TX10 ( well setup and with a pristine
tube) would knock spots off of a lot of the crap around today.

David

James Sweet

David Sewell wrote:
"Jerry G." wrote in message
oups.com...

If you take a look at the new Sony and Panasinic HDTV plasma and LCD
flat panel sets, they're stunning.
Jerry G.

Thanks, But I read somewhere that a good quality crt tube gives better
resolution than plasma and lcd? hope that statement don't start a blitz!!

David

Good can mean a number of different things, and a lot of it is personal
preference. A good CRT (as in a high end Sony, etc) will look better in
most ways than LCD, and the contrast ratio is likely to be better than
plasma, but the geometry of the flat panel technologies is perfect and
while a very good CRT can be close, it'll never be quite as good.

Sharp, but not scary Michael Press Woodworking 9 April 30th 04 06:23 AM
Sharp Microwave Ray Batig Electronics Repair 5 March 8th 04 12:52 AM
Jointer/Planer knives - How sharp should I expect Dave Rowell Woodworking 11 January 4th 04 11:36 PM
Failure to get sharp RWL Metalworking 21 October 10th 03 03:23 AM
Sharp R7380 Microwave Craig Electronics Repair 0 July 10th 03 10:50 PM