Too_Many_Tools

Default Portable HDTV Set

I am looking to buy a PORTABLE HDTV set.

Are there any available...I can't seem to find anything but LARGE sets
that are anything but portable.

Also I would like to hear anyone's experience with a HDTV set that is
being used while traveling in a RV.

Thanks

TMT

RobH

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in
oups.com:

I am looking to buy a PORTABLE HDTV set.

Are there any available...I can't seem to find anything but LARGE sets
that are anything but portable.

Also I would like to hear anyone's experience with a HDTV set that is
being used while traveling in a RV.

Thanks

TMT

Look on Amazon. These are all under $500.

Sharp LC-13B6U-S 13" AQUOS HDTV-Ready
Zenith Z15LA7R 15" Flat Panel HD-Ready LCD TV
Philips 15PF8946 15" HDTV-Ready Flat Panel TV
Sharp Aquos LC-15B9US 15" HD-Ready LCD
Wes Newell

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:38:25 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I am looking to buy a PORTABLE HDTV set.

Are there any available...I can't seem to find anything but LARGE sets
that are anything but portable.

Also I would like to hear anyone's experience with a HDTV set that is
being used while traveling in a RV.

I've looked all over for about a 20" HDTV with builkt in tuner and came up
empty, so I just decided to order an HDTV tuner for my PC. It's a heck of
lot cheaper too. This would seem to be a perfect solution for an RV.

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv RobH wrote:
| "Too_Many_Tools" wrote in
| oups.com:
|
| I am looking to buy a PORTABLE HDTV set.
|
| Are there any available...I can't seem to find anything but LARGE sets
| that are anything but portable.
|
| Also I would like to hear anyone's experience with a HDTV set that is
| being used while traveling in a RV.
|
| Thanks
|
| TMT
|

| Look on Amazon. These are all under $500.

NONE of them are genuine HDTV. These are just HD-ready or ED-ready.
NONE have an ATSC tuner so they require an external STB tuner to get
HD broadcasts (which will subsequently be reduced in quality to fit
the 4:3 screens they have).

Note that an external tuner may be fine for a large screen home theatre
system, but they are inconvenience for a portable.

The ideal portable TV will include a 16:9 screen, ATSC/NTSC tuner (for
North American markets), and correct handling of all ATSC formats to
be sure resolution is never any less than what that small screen can
show (it won't be anything like a large screen, but that is no cause
for dumb engineering that downgrades video below the 480 size before
displaying it). An integrated Blu-Ray DVD player would also be nice
when that technology finally makes it to market. The ability to also
handle 576i/p, 25/50 fps, DVB-T, world channeling, and 100-250v power
in the mains adapter, would be a big plus. Cable TV (QAM) would also
be a plus for many people.

| Sharp LC-13B6U-S 13" AQUOS HDTV-Ready

The aspect ratio is only 4:3. The tuner is only NTSC (no ATSC). Apparently
it can do "HDTV" only via video input, up to 480p (really just EDTV). but
it can do PAL and SECAM (maybe only via video in).

| Zenith Z15LA7R 15" Flat Panel HD-Ready LCD TV

This one is also 4:3. No mention of a tuner is given, but no mention of ATSC
certainly indicates it has no such capability.

| Philips 15PF8946 15" HDTV-Ready Flat Panel TV

Another 4:3 unit. Again, no mention of ATSC. This one does have an FM
(radio) tuner.

| Sharp Aquos LC-15B9US 15" HD-Ready LCD

I see no "LC-15B9US" but there is a LC-15B6US at Amazon. It says ED-ready
(not "HD-ready") and appears to be a larger screen version of the LC-13B6U-S.

Too_Many_Tools

I would have to agree....and so why I asked the original question to
see if I was missing something offered in the marketplace.

I guess one just needs to wait for the manufacturers to offer the
product for a market segment they have yet to address.

TMT

The DTV standard for over the air broadcasts requires a good and stable
incoming signal from the antenna. In the RV if you are parked and can
orient the antenna you should be fine. If you want to use it while
driving, it is not going to work. There will be too much 'ghosting' of
the incoming digital signal and the tuners won't handle it well.

I am not certain there will ever be a market segment for what you are
searching.

Too_Many_Tools

I consider it to be a faulty standard.

Do you remember the early portable CD digital audio players?

Remember the skipping?

Note that manufacturers had to build buffering and better pickups to
take care of the problem.

Same evolution with video.

Kids are in the back of the SUV/RV watching digital
televison...dropouts, ghosting, etc....guess what..manufacturers will
be forced to provide the service the customer demands.

Until then I and many others won't be spending money on DTV.

TMT

Bob Miller

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I consider it to be a faulty standard.

Do you remember the early portable CD digital audio players?

Remember the skipping?

Note that manufacturers had to build buffering and better pickups to
take care of the problem.

Same evolution with video.

Kids are in the back of the SUV/RV watching digital
televison...dropouts, ghosting, etc....guess what..manufacturers will
be forced to provide the service the customer demands.

Until then I and many others won't be spending money on DTV.

TMT

Portable and mobile are a big deal and will be big business in most
countries. The recent IBC show in Amsterdam was 20% bigger than last
year mostly because of the interest in mobile DTV.

In the US we do have two ventures both targeting cell phone DTV,
Qualcomm and Crown Castle but soon you will hear of other ventures
targeting vehicles, laptops and other larger screens than cell phones.

Auctions to be held in 2008 will allow more such DTV that works mobile
and portable. Stay tuned. The disastrous DTV transition in the US has
held back progress but it will soon be of little interest as new
broadcasters come on line who do care about OTA DTV broadcasting unlike
the current broadcasters who live and die by must carry over cable.

Bob Miller
Andy Cuffe

On 28 Oct 2005 19:45:37 -0700, "
wrote:

The DTV standard for over the air broadcasts requires a good and stable
incoming signal from the antenna. In the RV if you are parked and can
orient the antenna you should be fine. If you want to use it while
driving, it is not going to work. There will be too much 'ghosting' of
the incoming digital signal and the tuners won't handle it well.

I am not certain there will ever be a market segment for what you are
searching.

It may be a few years before technology allows a cheap portable ATSC
TV, but it will happen. I think it's foolish to think people will
just stop wanting portable TVs because they're digital now. People
like their NTSC portable color TVs even though you can't get a very
good color picture most of the time and the screens are too small to
really enjoy it. It's certain that people won't want NTSC portables
after they stop NTSC broadcasting. Using a battery portable TV with
an AC powered receiver box makes about as much sense as using a
walkman with a rack component CD player.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Andy Cuffe

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 06:07:30 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

I've looked all over for about a 20" HDTV with builkt in tuner and came up
empty, so I just decided to order an HDTV tuner for my PC. It's a heck of
lot cheaper too. This would seem to be a perfect solution for an RV.

A few years ago I had a JVC 'multimedia' TV that was basically a 20"
TV that could also sync to VGA/SVGA. At the time it was just a TV
that also made a really bad computer monitor, but one of those would
be great now. I wish I had saved it instead of selling it.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005

James Sweet

wrote:

I've looked all over for about a 20" HDTV with builkt in tuner and came up
empty, so I just decided to order an HDTV tuner for my PC. It's a heck of
lot cheaper too. This would seem to be a perfect solution for an RV.

A few years ago I had a JVC 'multimedia' TV that was basically a 20"
TV that could also sync to VGA/SVGA. At the time it was just a TV
that also made a really bad computer monitor, but one of those would
be great now. I wish I had saved it instead of selling it.
Andy Cuffe

We had several of those at work for compatibility testing, IIRC every
one of them failed.
Too_Many_Tools

I would agree....would you want your cell phone to come with a cord
that you had to plug into a stationary socket before using it?

HDTV will not be a replacement for NTSC until it does everything that
NTSC does now...everything.

And the public will not accept it until it does everything that it
replaces.

NTSC will be with us longer than anyone wants to admit.

TMT

Andy Cuffe

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 08:01:33 GMT, James Sweet
wrote:

A few years ago I had a JVC 'multimedia' TV that was basically a 20"
TV that could also sync to VGA/SVGA. At the time it was just a TV
that also made a really bad computer monitor, but one of those would
be great now. I wish I had saved it instead of selling it.
Andy Cuffe

We had several of those at work for compatibility testing, IIRC every
one of them failed.

I repaired a HV shutdown problem with the one I had. I can't remember
what caused it, but it was something minor.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Brenda Ann

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would agree....would you want your cell phone to come with a cord
that you had to plug into a stationary socket before using it?

HDTV will not be a replacement for NTSC until it does everything that
NTSC does now...everything.

And the public will not accept it until it does everything that it
replaces.

NTSC will be with us longer than anyone wants to admit.

I'd like to believe that, but I'm afraid that the FCC has other ideas.

I know I won't be buying an HDTV receiver any time soon, they're still WAY
out of my budget. I can buy a 27" NTSC set that looks just fine for what's
being broadcast for $175, it's 10x to 12x that for the cheapest HDTV ready
(without the HDTV tuner) set. Damn if I'll pay more than a week's wages for
a TV set, there's just nothing worth that kind of scratch to WATCH on them.

Bob Miller

Andy Cuffe wrote:
On 28 Oct 2005 19:45:37 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Will not happen! Over the next few years the standard for
portable/mobile will be set by broadcasters like Qualcomm, Crown Castle
and others all of which will be using COFDM based modulations that will
be extremely robust.

Anyone trying to use a junk modulation like 8-VSB would be crazy and
whatever product they tried to sell would be laughed off the market.

This is what COFDM can do in a market like New York City. 8-VSB still
does not work in New York even for fixed receivers on rooftops with
fancy powered and rotored antennas let alone mobile with half inch
antennas like Qualcomm and Crown Castle will offer.

www.viacel.com/bob.wmv

Japan will start a mobile COFDM cell phone service in a few months. The
antenna is an inch at best.

http://www.dibeg.org/news/news-4/news-e4.htm#dn058e

Bob Miller

Andy Cuffe

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 07:44:57 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

I know I won't be buying an HDTV receiver any time soon, they're still WAY
out of my budget. I can buy a 27" NTSC set that looks just fine for what's
being broadcast for $175, it's 10x to 12x that for the cheapest HDTV ready
(without the HDTV tuner) set. Damn if I'll pay more than a week's wages for
a TV set, there's just nothing worth that kind of scratch to WATCH on them.

HDTVs are actually a LOT cheaper than that now. You can get a 27ish
Sanyo set with a built in ATSC tuner for about $450 now. Not top
quality, but unless Sanyo is farming out manufacturing to Durabrand it
should be decent.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Brenda Ann

wrote:

I know I won't be buying an HDTV receiver any time soon, they're still WAY
out of my budget. I can buy a 27" NTSC set that looks just fine for what's
being broadcast for $175, it's 10x to 12x that for the cheapest HDTV ready
(without the HDTV tuner) set. Damn if I'll pay more than a week's wages
for
a TV set, there's just nothing worth that kind of scratch to WATCH on
them.

HDTVs are actually a LOT cheaper than that now. You can get a 27ish
Sanyo set with a built in ATSC tuner for about $450 now. Not top
quality, but unless Sanyo is farming out manufacturing to Durabrand it
should be decent.

Sure don't have anything like that available at our PX or through AAFES
Online. Cheapest digital ready TV we have access to is $1000, 24" screen,
and has no digital tuner even available for it yet.

"Brenda Ann" wrote:
[...]

Not a widescreen, but not a bad deal for an entry level set.
No where near $1750-2100 either! Check your facts first.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2601424

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

" wrote:
wrote:

"Brenda Ann" wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

If it's not widescreen, it's not HDTV.

Yes, it is HD. If you are watching an HD broadcast, there will be bars on the top and bottom. It cuts down the size of the viewable screen, but it is HD.
The effective screen size would be 29.4" instead of the actual size of 32".
Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

The screen aspect ratio has nothing to do with whether a tv is HDTV or
not.

If the tv can display the lines of resolution at the appropriate scan
rate for HDTV, then it is high definition. Just because it may have
bars on the top and bottom, or on the side when displaying a different
aspect ratio has nothing to do with HDTV or not.

" wrote:
The screen aspect ratio has nothing to do with whether a tv is HDTV or
not.

If the tv can display the lines of resolution at the appropriate scan
rate for HDTV, then it is high definition. Just because it may have
bars on the top and bottom, or on the side when displaying a different
aspect ratio has nothing to do with HDTV or not.

True, but this is an HD television.

Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

What is the 'correct' aspect ratio then?
Most people for the next 3 or 4 years are going to have 95% or more
stuff available over cable at 4:3 aspect ratio, why would they want to
buy a tv that would have those annoying bars on the sides for 95% of
what they are going to watch for a next few years?

Seems to me that it would be bass-ackwards to buy a tv set that does
not fit most of your available viewing material.

The problem so far in being able to get enough HDTV sets and ATSC
tuners available has been the widespread penetration of cable. To use
the still standard cable, you need a standard tv set. Cable companies
have been slow to provide HDTV capable signal at reasonable cost.

Brenda Ann

wrote in message
"Brenda Ann" wrote:
[...]

How nice you can go to Wal-Mart. I can choose from either the BX/PX or
hundreds of stores on the local economy. The BX/PX are by far the cheaper,
and no such sets exist in their local inventory, nor on their website.

Andy Cuffe

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:54:21 -0500, "
wrote:

I guess if it shows the correct resolution but why anyone would want to
buy something that bass-ackward, I don't know. May as well just buy a
smaller TV with the correct aspect ratio.

I actually prefer 4:3 HDTVs for now since most of what I watch is
still 4:3. Also, a 32" 4:3 set is about the same price as a 30" 16:9
set and will give you the same size 16:9 picture. Plus, you get a
bigger 4:3 picture for free if you don't mind a set that takes up a
little more space.