jon

Default RGB problem

I have just bought a Panasonic dmreh60d dvd recorder. Basically I need to
know if the following problem is a fault, a quirk, or something that will
develop into something far worse, several months down the line.

Basically the pana 60d is set-up to accept RGB in on av1 (this is my sky
box, which is set to output RGB). Av2 is to output RGB, and my TV is set to
accept RGB.

No everything works fine when the pana 60d is in standby mode, however when
I power the unit up the TV shows only green and red (so no blue). However
once the pana 60d has been left on for about 3 mins the problem cures itself
(perfect RGB picture). This problem is directly proportionate to the length
of time the unit has been left on, i.e. if the unit has been left on for an
hour, then I turn it off and then turn it back on within a minute the RGB
will be fine, likewise if I let the unit cool down (i.e. turn off for 15
mins). then turn it back on it will take about 1 min for the RGB problem to
cure itself.

So you can see the problem basically if the pana 60d has been left off for
over an hour, then turned on, it will take approx 3mins before I can record
in true RGB.

All scarts are top quality and new, the pana 60d is 1 week old.

So there is some sort of heat "thingy" going on?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jon

jon

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Get it replaced under warranty.

It's already flakey. These problems only get worse.

Thanks Sam,

It's going to be a right pain if I have to send it back, as I bought over
the Internet, and I'll also have to transfer nearly 40hrs of recordings onto
dvd-rs, but if you reckon that it's the "best" thing to do then I'll
probably do it soonish.

Out of intertest, would you care to hazard a guess as to why it's doing it,
faulty connections somewhere that cures itself when the unit heats up, thus
causing bad connection to expand and therefore make the contact good?

Jon

Dave D

"jon" wrote in message

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Get it replaced under warranty.

It's already flakey. These problems only get worse.

Thanks Sam,

It's going to be a right pain if I have to send it back, as I bought over
the Internet, and I'll also have to transfer nearly 40hrs of recordings
onto dvd-rs, but if you reckon that it's the "best" thing to do then I'll
probably do it soonish.

Out of intertest, would you care to hazard a guess as to why it's doing
it, faulty connections somewhere that cures itself when the unit heats up,
thus causing bad connection to expand and therefore make the contact good?

Jon

Most likely a faulty capacitor, but could also be a thermally defective IC
or transistor.
It would be easy to find the offending component with a tin of freeze spray,
but as it's under warranty, that's not the best course of action!

Dave

Sam Goldwasser

"Dave D" writes:

"jon" wrote in message

[...]

A bad solder connection is a very real possibility.

Dave D

"Dave D" writes:

"jon" wrote in message

[...]

Good point. As the parts warm up, it expands, the connection is made and all
seems well. Given the size of some modern SMT components and their leads,
it's very likely indeed, and not necessarily an easy repair if it's a high
density IC.

Dave