DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help! How do you solder epoxy-coated copper threads? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/124350-help-how-do-you-solder-epoxy-coated-copper-threads.html)

Good Music October 11th 05 02:52 AM

Help! How do you solder epoxy-coated copper threads?

Help! How do you solder coated copper threads? Here is a photo of the
stripped common, left, and right wires on a new set of home audio stereo
headphones:

http://www.eternalgoods.com/temp01.jpg

I bought these with the intention of wiring them into something, but upon
cutting the 1/8" stereo phone jack off, I find the left & right red- and
blue-coated (epoxied?) wires reject solder. I was hoping if I held the hot
bead of solder against the red wire long enough, it would melt through the
coating and stick; no.

How does one make a connection to these types of coated wires? (If anyone
here's built homespun choke coils or transformers, how to you make a
connection to those?)

Thanks
- Goodmusic

Good Music October 11th 05 03:26 AM

Help! How do you solder epoxy-coated copper threads?

Found the answers through some websearches:

1. It's an enamel coating, not epoxy

2. First choice seems to be burn it off with solder; doesn't work on this
wire

3. Last choice due to possibly nicking/weakening wire is scrape off some of
the enamel with a sharp knife; will go this route.

- Goodmusic

. ..

[email protected] October 11th 05 05:43 AM

Help! How do you solder epoxy-coated copper threads?

You might have some luck with solvents like acetone or mek. Use in a
well-ventilated area.

Skype_man October 12th 05 03:04 AM

Help! How do you solder epoxy-coated copper threads?

Use a lighter with low flame, & then a sharp
knife to scrape off the excess. Sky.

. ..