Mike Foss

Default Parts value for Sony KPR53EX20

We just moved into a smaller place and are looking to sell our Sony
53" rear-projection TV. It's a 1990 model and is in perfect working
condition (we just had the boards resoldered a few months ago), but
it's taking up half of our new living room.

Looking at ads for similar sets for sale we're seeing a huge range of
prices, from $400 to ~$1200, and we're wondering what the parts
value of this set is.

Thanks,

Mike Foss.

Mike Foss

"kip" wrote in message .. .
Well for a TV that's 15 yrs old you get what you can for it...
but don't expect to get between 400 and 1200.

Thanks, that was completely unhelpful.

Actual answers appreciated.

"Mike Foss" wrote in message
ink.net...
We just moved into a smaller place and are looking to sell our Sony
53" rear-projection TV. It's a 1990 model and is in perfect working
condition (we just had the boards resoldered a few months ago), but
it's taking up half of our new living room.

Looking at ads for similar sets for sale we're seeing a huge range of
prices, from $400 to ~$1200, and we're wondering what the parts
value of this set is.

Thanks,

Mike Foss.

kip

Believe it..!!
Now for parts, again you get what you can for it.
It might not be the answers you are looking for but
do you honestly think its worth $400 to $1200 ?

kip

"Mike Foss" wrote in message
nk.net...
"kip" wrote in message
.. .
Well for a TV that's 15 yrs old you get what you can for it...
but don't expect to get between 400 and 1200.

Thanks, that was completely unhelpful.

Actual answers appreciated.

ink.net...

Leonard Caillouet wrote:
Feel lucky if you can get $200 for a set this age.

Leonard

$200 is definitely the top end that should be asked for a 15 year old
RPTV of any kind. It is not HDTV compatible and with 15 years age on
the picture tube I am sure it is not working perfect and like new.

Who exactly would you part the set out to?
Odds of finding someone with the same model needing a screen, or other
major component, and willing to put much money into fixing it is slim,
the set is 15 years old.

Working, $200 top money to sell it used.
Non-working, it will cost you to have it thrown away but you might get
lucky to have someone move it out for free.

Andy Cuffe

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:02:15 GMT, "Mike Foss" wrote:

We just moved into a smaller place and are looking to sell our Sony
53" rear-projection TV. It's a 1990 model and is in perfect working
condition (we just had the boards resoldered a few months ago), but
it's taking up half of our new living room.

Looking at ads for similar sets for sale we're seeing a huge range of
prices, from $400 to ~$1200, and we're wondering what the parts
value of this set is.

Thanks,

Mike Foss.

I'd say around $400 assuming it is working perfectly and has excellent
CRTs. If it's been used a lot, then it will be worth a lot less. The
picture should be razor sharp with no burn in.

It will be worthless for parts unless you happen to find someone who
needs a part from it at that time. Even then, used parts are worth a
tiny fraction of new parts. No one will want to store a huge TV until
they someday need a part from it.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005

kip

Who needs a fresnel for that set ????
Get realistic..
kip

"Mike Foss" wrote in message
nk.net...
If we part out the set, you're saying $200 tops? Just the fresnel
which is in perfect shape sells for almost double that.

"kip" wrote in message
.. .
Now he wont like that answer..
"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message
Feel lucky if you can get $200 for a set this age.

Leonard

"Mike Foss" wrote in message
ink.net...
We just moved into a smaller place and are looking to sell our Sony
53" rear-projection TV. It's a 1990 model and is in perfect working
condition (we just had the boards resoldered a few months ago), but
it's taking up half of our new living room.

Looking at ads for similar sets for sale we're seeing a huge range of
prices, from $400 to ~$1200, and we're wondering what the parts
value of this set is.

Thanks,

Mike Foss.

Leonard Caillouet

Well, there may be some very useful parts in the set, including the fresnel.
I have seen these sets with etching of the two screens in btween at the
edges, presumably due to a combination of the glue, humidity, temperature
and some contaminant, likely some mold or bacterial growth here in
Gainesville. The problem with used parts, however, is storing them until
you reach someone with a need. We pitch out most sets like this that are
not worth repairing simply because the cost of storing the parts exceeds the
value quite rapidly.

You can try to sell the boards to PTS or other rebuilders and list them in
various forums for electronics, but don't expect to get much out of the
parts even if you get very lucky and find someone who happens to need what
you have. No one is going to want to spend very much to rebuild a set this
age. If you do, you still need to deal with the transportation costs and
packaging, which can be very significant for something like a screen.

Leonard

"kip" wrote in message
.. .
Who needs a fresnel for that set ????
Get realistic..
kip

"Mike Foss" wrote in message
nk.net...
If we part out the set, you're saying $200 tops? Just the fresnel
which is in perfect shape sells for almost double that.

"kip" wrote in message
.. .
Now he wont like that answer..
"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message
Feel lucky if you can get $200 for a set this age.

Leonard

"Mike Foss" wrote in message
ink.net...
We just moved into a smaller place and are looking to sell our Sony
53" rear-projection TV. It's a 1990 model and is in perfect working
condition (we just had the boards resoldered a few months ago), but
it's taking up half of our new living room.

Looking at ads for similar sets for sale we're seeing a huge range of
prices, from $400 to ~$1200, and we're wondering what the parts
value of this set is.

Thanks,

Mike Foss.

John-Del

Andy Cuffe wrote:

I'd say around $400 assuming it is working perfectly and has excellent
CRTs. If it's been used a lot, then it will be worth a lot less. The
picture should be razor sharp with no burn in.

I think that's high Andy.

I'd sell that TV in my store for $275 to $325 (depending on cosmetics)
with a 1 year warranty (carry in) assuming it has near perfect CRTs.
People will spend that much for a TV if the seller is confident enough
to warrant it for a full year. For a private owner to sell, it's worth
more like $200 considering the big risk to the buyer for an "as is"
item.