developer

Default what are the most needed equipment used to repair motherboard??

what are the most needed equipment used to repair motherboard??

frequency counter, 20 mhz scope, multimeter, soldering iron , screw drivers,
brush...etc.

what else ?

Dave D

"developer" wrote in message
what are the most needed equipment used to repair motherboard??

frequency counter, 20 mhz scope, multimeter, soldering iron , screw
drivers,
brush...etc.

what else ?

Repair at what level? About the only things that can be replaced on a modern
motherboard are capacitors and things like IDE connectors/rear panel ports
etc.

Dave

Graham

"developer" wrote in message
what are the most needed equipment used to repair motherboard??

frequency counter, 20 mhz scope, multimeter, soldering iron , screw

drivers,
brush...etc.

what else ?

Antistatic straps?
http://bushfordummies.com/img/bush_a...tric_chair.jpg
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Darmok

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 19:13:52 +0800, "developer"
wrote:

what are the most needed equipment used to repair motherboard??

frequency counter, 20 mhz scope, multimeter, soldering iron , screw drivers,
brush...etc.

what else ?

Hot Air SMT re-work station, Hot air/infrared BGA re-work station,
desoldering station, ESD work area ... a lot of experience.

From someone who works on and repairs motherboards for a living.

I think that if you don't work at a motherboard factory, you can better
invest the price of a rework bench in a good logic analyzer. If you end
up having to replace that one BGA IC, you can scrap the board. Any of
the other hundreds of components can be removed with a tube of
chip-quik and a $5 soldering iron from radio shack.

You would have to replace an awful lot of bridge chips to make up the
cost of a BGA rework station.

developer

I , too who works on and repairs motherboards for a living.

Albert Grennock

I wouldn't have thought it is cost effective to repair
a board cheaper to but a new one.

"developer" wrote in message
I , too who works on and repairs motherboards for a living.

Aren't most of the repairs done on motherboards performed before most
of the chips go on? (And don't most factory repairs consist of throwing
the board out and using a non-broken one?)

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
Aren't most of the repairs done on motherboards performed before most
of the chips go on? (And don't most factory repairs consist of throwing
the board out and using a non-broken one?)

Only thing I bother to repair on motherboards are electrolytic capacitors, I
doubt the factory does that though.

developer

power supply , capacitors. yes, we make money

mike

Dave D wrote:
"developer" wrote in message

what are the most needed equipment used to repair motherboard??

frequency counter, 20 mhz scope, multimeter, soldering iron , screw
drivers,
brush...etc.

what else ?

Repair at what level? About the only things that can be replaced on a modern
motherboard are capacitors and things like IDE connectors/rear panel ports
etc.

Dave

Based on the question and the way you asked it, you'll need a bright
light and a magnifier. Once you get past the things that you can find
by inspection, bad solder joints, broken connectors, bulging capacitors,
you're outa luck.

You can't get documentation. You can't get parts.
A 20 MHz scope will let you know if the power supply is working.

With the level of experience/equipment suggested by your question
you'd be better off fixing something else.
mike

--
Wanted, Serial cable for Dell Axim X5 PDA.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

Ouch.

Actually, I agree that working on mobos is a waste of time in most
cases. I've changed clock IC's on some, and repaired some physical
damage, but I wouldn't attempt to make a living doing it. Nobody will
pay a tech five hours to work on a motherboard if they can get a more
modern replacement for the same price.

Now if you are talking about motherboards for PDP-11s, Lisas, arcade
consoles, or something like that, you most certainly can repair them,
make money at it, and use your 20MHz scope to do it.

Clint Sharp

In message , mike
writes
You can't get documentation.

Mum, you can. Most boards are very similar to the chip-set
manufacturer's reference designs for the chip-set used. There's only so
many ways you can connect the same chips and get a working system.
You can't get parts.

You can. If you know where to look, there are many companies out there
selling chips, either pulls or new.

A 20 MHz scope will let you know if the power supply is working.

And a bunch of other things as well. Remember, most of the chips on the
motherboard run at much lower frequencies than the core and you'd
definitely be able to troubleshoot the on-board peripherals plus the PCI
bus to a lesser extent, although a POST card is probably a good initial
test here.

With the level of experience/equipment suggested by your question
you'd be better off fixing something else.

Or learning on a few old boards to gain a new skill.
mike

--
Clint Sharp
tomhoo

Yeowww, I didn't think you could make any kind of respectable money
repairing mobos.

If the caps are bad, the board is old - maybe expensive multi processor
server boards???

The local computer shop in town here, actually do mobo repairs. it
does seem like caps and psu circuits like the transistor/scr looking
devices (mosfets???)

I've done a few cap jobs and "enjoy" the hobby style project. Of
course, the stuff that I repair is worth $30 on eBay. (loser, huh?)

Tom

And my pre-neolithic Hexacon 1001 crapped out.... boo hoo. (It made a
loud buzzing noise when it was working, then it quit buzzing and quit
working.....)

James Sweet

"tomhoo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeowww, I didn't think you could make any kind of respectable money
repairing mobos.

If the caps are bad, the board is old - maybe expensive multi processor
server boards???

For a few years that wasn't true, I fixed a whole pile of boards with
bulging caps that were between 6 months and 2 years old, the defective
capacitor plague seems to be over with though.

Clint Sharp

In message GOl0f.5389$YH6.3841@trnddc06, James Sweet
writes
For a few years that wasn't true, I fixed a whole pile of boards with
bulging caps that were between 6 months and 2 years old, the defective
capacitor plague seems to be over with though.

Dell SX270 and GX280 are suffering badly. Wouldn't be surprised if
others were too.
--
Clint Sharp

James Sweet

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
Hmm thats nice to know.. I'm reinstalling windows on a sx260 right now for
someone. I will remember to expect that if it comes back dead in the

future.

- Mike

May as well peak under the hood, if the capacitors are bulging or leaking
replace them before they corrode the board.

Michael Kennedy

Sounds like a good idea. I've had it apart allready but didn't bother to
look at the caps. By the way do you know where to buy a cd rom for these
units for a reasonable price? It takes a laptop sized cd rom drive.

- Mike