Sam Goldwasser

Default PCMCIA serial port card

Anyone have an extra one of these laying around? I need to be able to
control two RS232 devices from one laptop. It looks like they are $25-30
on eBay once shipping is included.

Thanks.

Travis Jordan

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Anyone have an extra one of these laying around? I need to be able to
control two RS232 devices from one laptop. It looks like they are
$25-30 on eBay once shipping is included.

Hi Sam - Once again, eBay buyers who don't know any better are getting
ripped off. That's twice what they should cost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...o .x=0&Go.y=0

Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Anyone have an extra one of these laying around? I need to be able
to control two RS232 devices from one laptop. It looks like they
are $25-30 on eBay once shipping is included.

Hi Sam - Once again, eBay buyers who don't know any better are
getting ripped off. That's twice what they should cost.

Oops - sorry, missed the part about the 'PCMCIA' / laptop. So those
prices don't look so bad after all.

Sorry, I don't have one or I'd let you have it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=&Go.x=0&Go.y=
0

Ray

http://www.dunnsdealstore.com/

Eiger serial card

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Anyone have an extra one of these laying around? I need to be able to
control two RS232 devices from one laptop. It looks like they are $25-30
on eBay once shipping is included.

Sam Goldwasser

"Ray" writes:

http://www.dunnsdealstore.com/

Eiger serial card

$50+shipping, twice eBay prices.

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Anyone have an extra one of these laying around? I need to be able to
control two RS232 devices from one laptop. It looks like they are $25-30
on eBay once shipping is included.

James Sweet

"Ray" writes:

http://www.dunnsdealstore.com/

Eiger serial card

$50+shipping, twice eBay prices.

It's one of those things that was never very popular because few people
needed more than one serial port on a laptop and these days serial ports are
pretty much dead for most people. You might be best off getting one from
ebay, I've never even seen one up close and I've got a lot of random
computer bits.

Travis Jordan

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Anyone have an extra one of these laying around? I need to be able to
control two RS232 devices from one laptop.

Got USB ports on that laptop? How about a serial-to-USB adapter?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
..

Sam Goldwasser

"Travis Jordan" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Anyone have an extra one of these laying around? I need to be able to
control two RS232 devices from one laptop.

Got USB ports on that laptop? How about a serial-to-USB adapter?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
.

Sorry, this is a dinosaur - but a useful dinosur though since it servces my
needs in controlling lasers and data acquisition widgets.

What about a parallel to serial port converter?

Alex Bird

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

Sorry, this is a dinosaur - but a useful dinosur though since it servces my
needs in controlling lasers and data acquisition widgets.

I'm assuming you already have one serial port - I've seen a project
online where a guy converted an old unneeded pcmcia modem into a serial
card for his sony vaio, which had no ports at all.

Lots of old card modems lying around now I reckon... could be an
interesting project!

Alex

Michael Black

"Alex Bird" ) writes:
Sam Goldwasser wrote:

Sorry, this is a dinosaur - but a useful dinosur though since it servces my
needs in controlling lasers and data acquisition widgets.

I'm assuming you already have one serial port - I've seen a project
online where a guy converted an old unneeded pcmcia modem into a serial
card for his sony vaio, which had no ports at all.

Lots of old card modems lying around now I reckon... could be an
interesting project!

Alex

When somebody suggested few had ever been interested in a PCMIA serial
port, my reaction was that likely people did add things that bypassed
the need for a serial port. Your suggestion reinforces that, since likely
people would be more interested in adding a modem than just a serial port.

On the other hand, it may be that the vintage is too late. Ten years ago,
I took an ISA 2400Baud modem and yanked the UART, adding some line drivers
and receivers so I had a 2400 Baud serial modem to use with my Mac.

I would have duplicated the process with a faster modem later, but by
then there was no standalone UART. It was part of some LSI IC, and there
was no way of accessing the needed points.

Michael

Sam Goldwasser

"Alex Bird" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

Sorry, this is a dinosaur - but a useful dinosur though since it servces my
needs in controlling lasers and data acquisition widgets.

I'm assuming you already have one serial port - I've seen a project
online where a guy converted an old unneeded pcmcia modem into a serial
card for his sony vaio, which had no ports at all.

Yes, one DB9 serial port and an internal modem that I think is COM2.

I need COM3 or higher.

A Sony VAIO would be another possibility - I have the port replicator but
alas, that only provides a single serial port!

But this KIWI dinosaur would be much more appropriate as it's so ancient
as to have no other good use.

Lots of old card modems lying around now I reckon... could be an
interesting project!

That's a thought - I've got plenty old PCMCIA modems myself. But even if
I only value my time at minimum wage, it's going to be more than for one
from eBay!

Ray

A lot of pmcia serial card and especially usb to serial cards wont work for
all applications.

The Eigar serial port works like an original port, and drivers are available
for Dos and Windows. I f you have a dinosaur application, you may need it
to work in DOS.
Ray

"Alex Bird" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

[...]

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above
is

Sam Goldwasser

"Ray" writes:

A lot of pmcia serial card and especially usb to serial cards wont work for
all applications.

The Eigar serial port works like an original port, and drivers are available
for Dos and Windows. I f you have a dinosaur application, you may need it
to work in DOS.

At least one of the applications is genuinely Windows compatible.

The other is a terminal emulator and while I'm currently using an ancient
copy of Procomm Plus, and terminal emulator that has certain terminal types
included in its database will be fine. But since COM1 can be the built in
port, that really doesn't matter.