DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gopher(s) ate buried Radio Dog Fence - several thousand feet - need scientific method to locate break (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/121714-re-gopher-s-ate-buried-radio-dog-fence-several-thousand-feet-need-scientific-method-locate-break.html)

Tim Fischer September 21st 05 05:32 AM

Gopher(s) ate buried Radio Dog Fence - several thousand feet - need scientific method to locate break

http://www.canadapets.com/RFbreak.htm

Doug Miller September 21st 05 02:33 PM

In article , wrote:
You can buy an electric signal tracer at many of the larger hardware
stores. They are under $50 for most. You hook they device on the end
to the wire. Then you follow the path of the wire with another
handheld device and either listen to a tone or watch for flashing
LEDs.
These are made for wiring in a building. Dont know if it will work
underground.

As previously posted... a portable AM radio is the only thing you need.

--
Regards,

Angrie.Woman September 22nd 05 05:25 PM

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , wrote:

You can buy an electric signal tracer at many of the larger hardware
stores. They are under $50 for most. You hook they device on the end
to the wire. Then you follow the path of the wire with another
handheld device and either listen to a tone or watch for flashing
LEDs.
These are made for wiring in a building. Dont know if it will work
underground.

As previously posted... a portable AM radio is the only thing you need.

When we did it, we also used a coil that we got from Radio Shack. We put
the coil across the trassmitter, tuned the radio to the pulse, and walked.

Angrie.Woman September 22nd 05 05:26 PM

Tim Fischer wrote:
http://www.canadapets.com/RFbreak.htm

Method #2: This method requires you purchase an "RF-Choke" from Radio
Shack (Catalog item # 273-102) and use an AM Radio. Once you have these,
follow these procedures:

1. Disconnect the boundary wire from the terminals on the transmitter.

2. Wrap the boundary wire around the choke leads

3. Connect the choke leads to the terminals on the transmitter. The
choke has now completed the loop as far as the transmitter is
concerned.

4. Turn the range adjustment knob up 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

5. Take the transistor radio and set it to AM 600. Stand outside the
structure where the twisted wire exits and listen for the
pulsating static of the transmitter.

Gently swing the radio back and forth across the front of your body and
follow the wire out to where the loop begins. Pick either direction and
continue until the pulsating stops for a 4-6 ft area. In this area is
your break.

That's what we did. We got pretty good at it!