DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Motherboard boot (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/119200-motherboard-boot.html)

Ricki from trailerparkboys August 31st 05 11:31 PM

Motherboard boot

I have an ECS Elitegroup motherboard, pentium 4 sometimes boots,and
sometimes just a black screen, If boot fails and I just leave it plugged in
for a while it sometimes boots than crashes after a few minutes. anyone know
what causes this?

Big Brother September 1st 05 02:52 AM

Ricki from trailerparkboys wrote:
I have an ECS Elitegroup motherboard, pentium 4 sometimes boots,and
sometimes just a black screen, If boot fails and I just leave it plugged in
for a while it sometimes boots than crashes after a few minutes. anyone know
what causes this?

Might be bad/leaky caps on the motherboard..

I had this guy fix my epox board about 3 months ago for the same problem

It works great..http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=home

Carl Jenkins September 1st 05 05:30 PM

Hi Ricki,

If the board is still under warranty I would
just RMA it. If the replacement works fine then
problem solved. If not then it's time to ask
around here for some ideas.

Carl

mistermaniac September 1st 05 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricki from trailerparkboys
I have an ECS Elitegroup motherboard, pentium 4 sometimes boots,and
sometimes just a black screen, If boot fails and I just leave it plugged in
for a while it sometimes boots than crashes after a few minutes. anyone know
what causes this?

Could be a faulty PSU.

[email protected] September 2nd 05 01:58 AM

hi Ricki

from experience, some boards have that kind of problem due to faulty
bios issues/memory problems and the like. I would suggest that you try
to do a good cleaning of the board along with the memory and ram. I
would also suggest that you try flashing the bios to a more recent
version so that it will eliminate buggy irq handling problems. :)

goodluck

crazy frog September 5th 05 06:59 AM

sometimes you can weed out the faulty caps
by looking in where things get hot around
these caps such as voltage reg's on your
motherboard.
i replaced 2 caps in a p2-266 the other day
2 1000uf 10 volt neer the voltage reg's, due to
heat from them, the caps were leaky and upsetting
the voltage rails, the system will not boot.

James Sweet September 5th 05 08:32 AM

"crazy frog" eat@joes wrote in message
u...
sometimes you can weed out the faulty caps
by looking in where things get hot around
these caps such as voltage reg's on your
motherboard.
i replaced 2 caps in a p2-266 the other day
2 1000uf 10 volt neer the voltage reg's, due to
heat from them, the caps were leaky and upsetting
the voltage rails, the system will not boot.

Usually they're bulging too, there was a large batch of capacitors made with
defective electrolyte that found their way into all sorts of things for a
few years there, seems to be all over with now though.