Old September 3rd 05, 12:54 AM
Ken G.

IT WORKS ALREADY READ MY FIRST POST .

Old September 3rd 05, 10:08 PM
Doug McLaren

Ken G. wrote:

| IT WORKS ALREADY READ MY FIRST POST .

So? We have to stop discussing it?

--
Doug McLaren,
Remember "I" before "E", except in Budweiser.
Old September 29th 05, 04:51 PM
Asimov

"Jim Yanik" bravely wrote to "All" (25 Aug 05 23:17:16)
--- on the heady topic of " replacing batteries in Norelco shaver"

JY From: Jim Yanik .
JY Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:340643

Anyone ever replace batteries in a Norelco (or other brand) shaver?
Anything I should be aware of or watch out for? Seems like it should
be a pretty straight forward procedure.

TIA

JY NiMH cells have a more complicated charge requirement than NiCd.
JY Unless you plan on designing a new charger,you should only replace
JY with NiCd cells similar to what you removed.

Riding my bike I found a cellphone flattened by traffic on the side of
the road. Its Li-ion battery seemed undamaged and it took a controlled
charge okay. I was thinking of replacing the 2 sub-C nicads in a hand
driver with it, as the Li-ion cell has a 1,000mA/hr spec on the label.
It seems impossible for such a small battery (2"x1.5x1/4"thick). There
are 3 contacts on the cell, beneath is a pcb with surface mount IC's.
One terminal is labelled TH, what is it, thermal monitor?

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... That was a fascinating period of time for electronics

Old September 29th 05, 11:28 PM
Jim Yanik

"Asimov" wrote in
:

[...]

I don't know what the "TH" means.Possibly "THermal",maybe a thermistor for
temp monitoring. You could try measuing resistance between TH and each
other terminals,perhaps while changing the packs temp by hairdryer.

Wood Magazine recently had an article on a new drill/driver that uses Li-
Ion cells in a 28V pack with a microprocessor controller IC built into each
battery pack,it not only controls the charge,gettting the most from the
cells,but it counts charge cycles and keeps track of battery life.According
to the article,some Li-Ion formulations do not have a high discharge
current capability,that it shortens cell life.But Milwaukee says their
cells are different.Their cells are 4 volts apiece.(Is 4.8v/cell 'standard'
for Li-Ion?)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old September 30th 05, 01:47 AM
Jack Edin

I put NiMH cells in mine a year ago...

I let it charge a bit longer, as the capacity is much higher...

Works great!

Did the same with my Uniden and Panasonic cordless phones. I let 'em
charge fully, and they last a l-o-n-g time!

And I didn't redesign the charger. These are trickle chargers, gentlemen.

A fast charger would matter... These do not.

IMHO...

Jack

Old September 30th 05, 01:53 AM
H. Dziardziel

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:51:30 GMT, "Asimov"
wrote:

[...]

Li-ions can only be at best pulsed at a 2-3C rate. The TH probably
is the termistor and the pcb has picofuses. How will you charger
it once in the driver? Li-ion aren't for casual experimenting, as
you no doubt know..

This has a nice update on consumer product Li-ion capacities.
http://powerelectronics.com/mag/powe...s_seek_higher/
Old September 30th 05, 07:11 AM
Asimov

"H. Dziardziel" bravely wrote to "All" (30 Sep 05 09:53:52)
--- on the heady topic of " replacing batteries in Norelco shaver"

HD From: H. Dziardziel
HD Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:343591

okay. I was thinking of replacing the 2 sub-C nicads in a hand
driver with it, as the Li-ion cell has a 1,000mA/hr spec on the label.

HD Li-ions can only be at best pulsed at a 2-3C rate. The TH probably
HD is the termistor and the pcb has picofuses. How will you charger
HD it once in the driver? Li-ion aren't for casual experimenting, as
HD you no doubt know..

The battery has its own charging smt electronics on a tiny board that
holds the contacts for the adaptor base. I would connect the existing
driver terminals to these contacts and not directly to the battery.

I was so impressed by an experimental electric sports car I saw on
Alan Alda's science show. It went 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and a top speed
over 200. Consider that not many gasoline powered cars can do that. It
was powered by a bank of Li-ion batteries. It must be quite
breathtaking to press the accelerator sitting in that car. Oooh, the
G's, the G's!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Wasted power is current squared times the resistance.