DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   36" TVs, clicking sound at power-up, no picture (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/117993-36%22-tvs-clicking-sound-power-up-no-picture.html)

Skew August 22nd 05 06:22 PM

36" TVs, clicking sound at power-up, no picture

My 7 year old 36" RCA TV stopped working about 3 weeks ago. I'd try
turning it on, I'd hear 3-6 clicks that sounded like the relay clicks
during power-on, and then it would stop with nothing happening. I've
been too busy to troubleshoot it so far, but that was my plan.

An old neighbor of mine called about his 5 year old Sony 36" WEGA doing
the same thing, right down to the click count. I thought I better ask
on here if this is a semi-common problem before tackling it blindly,
since I'm merely a wanna-be tech and not a full-fledged TV repair
person.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Mike Berger August 22nd 05 06:43 PM

The clicking is an indication that the power supply is trying
to start up and detects a fault. The number of clicks is
usually dependent on how many attempts it makes to turn on
before quitting, and not an indication of where the problem lies.

The trouble might be in the power supply itself, or one of the
circuits it feeds.

Skew August 22nd 05 07:01 PM

Thanks Mike... a couple other things I should've mentioned...

- no sound (it really appears that the TV
didn't turn on, rather than just the tube)
- There is electrostatic charge on the
screens, so that if I'm lucky that means
the high-voltage supply is ok

Tom MacIntyre August 22nd 05 08:43 PM

On 22 Aug 2005 10:22:33 -0700, "Skew" wrote:

My 7 year old 36" RCA TV stopped working about 3 weeks ago. I'd try
turning it on, I'd hear 3-6 clicks that sounded like the relay clicks
during power-on, and then it would stop with nothing happening. I've
been too busy to troubleshoot it so far, but that was my plan.

An old neighbor of mine called about his 5 year old Sony 36" WEGA doing
the same thing, right down to the click count. I thought I better ask
on here if this is a semi-common problem before tackling it blindly,
since I'm merely a wanna-be tech and not a full-fledged TV repair
person.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

For the RCA, if it'll come on in Service Mode, it may mean that you
have an I2C (communication and control) bus problem. I don't recall
how to do it; it's a combination of 2 or 3 front panel controls. Don't
do anything but determine if it'll come on, as, without knowledge and
experience, you can really mess things up in Service Mode.

Tom

Skew August 23rd 05 12:57 AM

I found the service mode sequnce
(http://www.artofhacking.com/files/TVMODES.TXT for those of you reading
this thread), it didn't come on, at least not visibly. The TV seemed
off, but it's hard to tell for sure at this point.