aether

Default Better For TV Health (preventing burn-in): Turn It Off or Leave On (non-logoed) Channel?

Let me start by saying I've left my television on for hours in the AV
(blue screen) mode. Could this cause burn-in?

Anyhow, he told me to simply turn the TV off whenever you're not using
it. Even if that means on and off four or more times a day. I've always
been averse to this, however, as I've (much more) experience with
computers, and know the effects it can have over time on the
motherboard and various components. So, is he right? Or, should I leave
it on a (non-logoed; cnn, fox news, etc..) channel? (esp. a movie type
channel)

aether

aether wrote:

Anyhow, he** told me to simply turn the TV off whenever you're not using
it.

** = a friend

You do risk eventually reducing the emission from the blue crt gun
compared to the red and green guns and having a poor picture as a
result. Why not turn down the brightness so the blue gun is not
wearing away the cathode coating material that gradually wears away
with emissions.

I personally wouldn't worry about turning the TV off and on unless it
is a lot more than 4 times a day. I would take my chances compared to
the electric bill that the set runs up by being on all the time. I
wouldn't turn it off for a 10 minute out of the room situation, but if
it were not going to be watched for an hour, I would sure turn it off.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Tom MacIntyre

On 20 Aug 2005 18:09:15 -0700, "aether"
wrote:

Let me start by saying I've left my television on for hours in the AV
(blue screen) mode. Could this cause burn-in?

Anyhow, he told me to simply turn the TV off whenever you're not using
it. Even if that means on and off four or more times a day. I've always
been averse to this, however, as I've (much more) experience with
computers, and know the effects it can have over time on the
motherboard and various components.

TV's don't have the same issues as computers, because they typically
have no plug-in cards. I think it's been tried, largely
unsuccessfully, in the past.

Turn it off if you are not watching or listening to it for more than
30-60 minutes, I'd say.

Tom

So, is he right? Or, should I leave
it on a (non-logoed; cnn, fox news, etc..) channel? (esp. a movie type
channel)

James Sweet

TV's don't have the same issues as computers, because they typically
have no plug-in cards. I think it's been tried, largely
unsuccessfully, in the past.

Turn it off if you are not watching or listening to it for more than
30-60 minutes, I'd say.

The plug in cards don't have anything to do with it, the argument is mostly
for mechanical components like hard drives and fans. I think it largely
stems from the fact that a drive with marginal bearings or some other
problem is most likely to fail to start up from cold a while before it fails
while warm and running. Same with light bulbs that most often fail at
turnon, but while people will argue both ways, I'm convinced that reasonable
power cycles will have no effect on the life of a piece of equipment. Don't
flip it rapidly off and on, but if you walk away for more than a few minutes
shut it off.

Tom MacIntyre wrote:
Turn it off if you are not watching or listening to it for more than
30-60 minutes, I'd say.

Same goes for any computer, unless you are using several power saving
features, in that case the treshold would be a few hours instead.

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.

James Sweet wrote:
The plug in cards don't have anything to do with it, the argument is mostly
for mechanical components like hard drives and fans. I think it largely
stems from the fact that a drive with marginal bearings or some other
problem is most likely to fail to start up from cold a while before it fails
while warm and running. Same with light bulbs that most often fail at

However, the bearings will wear out way faster when spinning
continuously, same goes for electrolytic capacitors.

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.
Tom MacIntyre

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:58:42 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

TV's don't have the same issues as computers, because they typically
have no plug-in cards. I think it's been tried, largely
unsuccessfully, in the past.

Turn it off if you are not watching or listening to it for more than
30-60 minutes, I'd say.

The plug in cards don't have anything to do with it,

Well, reseating a card is one of the first things to try in many
computer repair situations, and heat cycling could cause a problem,
couldn't it? I know it isn't as likely as actually moving a PC...

Tom

the argument is mostly
for mechanical components like hard drives and fans. I think it largely
stems from the fact that a drive with marginal bearings or some other
problem is most likely to fail to start up from cold a while before it fails
while warm and running. Same with light bulbs that most often fail at
turnon, but while people will argue both ways, I'm convinced that reasonable
power cycles will have no effect on the life of a piece of equipment. Don't
flip it rapidly off and on, but if you walk away for more than a few minutes
shut it off.

James Sweet

wrote in message
l...
James Sweet wrote:
The plug in cards don't have anything to do with it, the argument is

mostly
for mechanical components like hard drives and fans. I think it largely
stems from the fact that a drive with marginal bearings or some other
problem is most likely to fail to start up from cold a while before it

fails
while warm and running. Same with light bulbs that most often fail at

However, the bearings will wear out way faster when spinning
continuously, same goes for electrolytic capacitors.

Yes, but when failure is imminent, it will most likely keep spinning until
it's been shut off and then it will fail to spin up again, that's the sort
of thing that leads people to believe that turning it off and on caused it
to fail.