Jim Stansell

Default Maytag Gas Dryer Repair?

I originally posted this question a couple of years ago, but the dryer
was put in storage, and I never got to the repair. Now it's back again
(long story), but unfortunately, I've lost all the responses with
suggestions of what to check.

Anyway, I have an 18 year old Maytag gas dryer (model number DG 482 W)
that has suddenly started to cycle on and off in roughly 30 second
intervals. I don't think it's a heat buildup problem since it starts
cycling immediately after it's turned on. I've checked the ducting,
and everything is clear. The flame is a nice, bright blue.

Any/all suggestions are appreciated.
peanutwhistle

Jim Stansell wrote:
I originally posted this question a couple of years ago, but the dryer
was put in storage, and I never got to the repair. Now it's back again
(long story), but unfortunately, I've lost all the responses with
suggestions of what to check.

Anyway, I have an 18 year old Maytag gas dryer (model number DG 482 W)
that has suddenly started to cycle on and off in roughly 30 second
intervals. I don't think it's a heat buildup problem since it starts
cycling immediately after it's turned on. I've checked the ducting,
and everything is clear. The flame is a nice, bright blue.

Any/all suggestions are appreciated.

I hope http://www.repairclinic.com/0047_8.asp can be useful...

Good luck.

peanutwhistle

Jim Stansell wrote:
I originally posted this question a couple of years ago, but the dryer
was put in storage, and I never got to the repair. Now it's back again
(long story), but unfortunately, I've lost all the responses with
suggestions of what to check.

Anyway, I have an 18 year old Maytag gas dryer (model number DG 482 W)
that has suddenly started to cycle on and off in roughly 30 second
intervals. I don't think it's a heat buildup problem since it starts
cycling immediately after it's turned on. I've checked the ducting,
and everything is clear. The flame is a nice, bright blue.

Any/all suggestions are appreciated.

Someone by the name "Jim Stansell" posted a while back:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.repair/browse_frm/thread/524bb458391bae3f/0b69efe28c80bc71?lnk=st&q=dg+482+w&rnum=5&hl=en#0b 69efe28c80bc71

Maybe those replies will help?

Anyway, I have an 18 year old Maytag gas dryer (model number DG 482 W)
that has suddenly started to cycle on and off in roughly 30 second
intervals. I don't think it's a heat buildup problem since it starts
cycling immediately after it's turned on. I've checked the ducting,
and everything is clear. The flame is a nice, bright blue.

A guess might be the ignitor circuit. Some monitor the current through
the ignitor to make sure it is dissipating sufficient power before
opening the gas valve. That current may have to be maintained while the
valve is open (maybe the ignitor must always be on when the gas is on).
It sounds like something is faking a flameout and the valve closes
until something cools. I'm glad it fails shutting the gas than leaving
it open!

Another great website:

http://fixitnow.com/faq.htm

It just helped me fix a gas oven, which may have a similar ignition
circuit.

http://fixitnow.com/2004/09/applianc...revelation.htm

Good Luck,

Jim

Asimov

"Jim Stansell" bravely wrote to "All" (18 Aug 05 06:34:28)
--- on the heady topic of "Maytag Gas Dryer Repair?"

Most automatic gas appliances have a flame monitor for safety. It is
likely the one in your dryer may be dirty, obstructed, or defective
and it is cycling the main burner. Some flame monitors are optical and
some are pyroelectric, I don't know which type your dryer has, but
check this out. Carefully use a small soft brush to clear away dust.

A*s*i*m*o*v

JS From: Jim Stansell
JS Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:340007

JS I originally posted this question a couple of years ago, but the dryer
JS was put in storage, and I never got to the repair. Now it's back again
JS (long story), but unfortunately, I've lost all the responses with
JS suggestions of what to check.

JS Anyway, I have an 18 year old Maytag gas dryer (model number DG 482 W)
JS that has suddenly started to cycle on and off in roughly 30 second
JS intervals. I don't think it's a heat buildup problem since it starts
JS cycling immediately after it's turned on. I've checked the ducting,
JS and everything is clear. The flame is a nice, bright blue.

JS Any/all suggestions are appreciated.

.... Wasted power is current squared times the resistance.