Matt B.

Default Sony TV Picture Squeezed In, Died

I have a 27" Sony Trinitron TV, model KV-27S15. It is 10 years old. It's
been a great TV until it broke. :-) (I love the dark picture tube.)

For about a minute before it died, the picture squeezed in from the right a
couple of inches. After that the TV just shut off and it won't give any
signs of life now.

I found a description of this problem on this newsgroup's FAQ on the web
(which is how I found this newsgroup), but I'm afraid that the description
of the problem is all Greek to me.

I'd like to repair the TV if it is not too expensive (otherwise I might buy
a new, larger TV :-)
Is this repairable and how much might it cost?

Thanks.

Travis Jordan

Matt B. wrote:
Is this repairable and how much might it cost?

Usually it is the horizontal output transistor that fails.

Might cost $150 - 200 to repair depending on where you live.

James Sweet

"Matt B." none@given wrote in message
I have a 27" Sony Trinitron TV, model KV-27S15. It is 10 years old. It's
been a great TV until it broke. :-) (I love the dark picture tube.)

For about a minute before it died, the picture squeezed in from the right

couple of inches. After that the TV just shut off and it won't give any
signs of life now.

I found a description of this problem on this newsgroup's FAQ on the web
(which is how I found this newsgroup), but I'm afraid that the description
of the problem is all Greek to me.

I'd like to repair the TV if it is not too expensive (otherwise I might

buy
a new, larger TV :-)
Is this repairable and how much might it cost?

Thanks.

If the picture was good before it died and the unit is in good cosmetic
shape then it's probably worth having fixed, if the troubleshooting sounds
like Greek you should take it to a shop though, it does require some skill
to track down the problem.

Donald

Try checking the power supply capacitors, will be hi voltage, about 165VDC.
BE CAREFUL If that don't work check vertical side capacitors. You will be
checking for microfarad value. The part will be blue or gray in color, and
about an
inch tall. If you do the work yourself it will be about 10 to 12 dollars. If
you take it to a shop it will be anywhere from
150 to 250 dollars. But it could be the flyback, what the 160v source
drives. The flyback runs allot, including the hi
voltage to the picture tube and what not. Ask more if you need. The vertical
side is usually on the right looking from back.
The flyback is on the right back w/a thicker red wire coming out of it,
looking from the back. Donald

clintonG

Fellas... your thoughtful and knowledgeable replies are needed for an
inquiry I posted yesterday "ViewSonic P225f Horizontal Shrinks & Expands"
posted as "clintonG" with nearly exact same behavior as Travis has
explained. Could either of you review my concerns and respond?

%= Clinton Gallagher

"Donald" wrote in message
Try checking the power supply capacitors, will be hi voltage, about
165VDC.
BE CAREFUL If that don't work check vertical side capacitors. You will be
checking for microfarad value. The part will be blue or gray in color, and
about an
inch tall. If you do the work yourself it will be about 10 to 12 dollars.
If
you take it to a shop it will be anywhere from
150 to 250 dollars. But it could be the flyback, what the 160v source
drives. The flyback runs allot, including the hi
voltage to the picture tube and what not. Ask more if you need. The
vertical
side is usually on the right looking from back.
The flyback is on the right back w/a thicker red wire coming out of it,
looking from the back. Donald

Tom MacIntyre

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:44:39 GMT, "clintonG"
wrote:

Fellas... your thoughtful and knowledgeable replies are needed for an
inquiry I posted yesterday "ViewSonic P225f Horizontal Shrinks & Expands"
posted as "clintonG" with nearly exact same behavior as Travis has
explained. Could either of you review my concerns and respond?

%= Clinton Gallagher

Respectfully, similar behaviour in totally different units could be
for totally different reasons, and often are.

Tom

"Donald" wrote in message
Try checking the power supply capacitors, will be hi voltage, about
165VDC.
BE CAREFUL If that don't work check vertical side capacitors. You will be
checking for microfarad value. The part will be blue or gray in color, and
about an
inch tall. If you do the work yourself it will be about 10 to 12 dollars.
If
you take it to a shop it will be anywhere from
150 to 250 dollars. But it could be the flyback, what the 160v source
drives. The flyback runs allot, including the hi
voltage to the picture tube and what not. Ask more if you need. The
vertical
side is usually on the right looking from back.
The flyback is on the right back w/a thicker red wire coming out of it,
looking from the back. Donald

James Sweet

"clintonG" wrote in message
Fellas... your thoughtful and knowledgeable replies are needed for an
inquiry I posted yesterday "ViewSonic P225f Horizontal Shrinks & Expands"
posted as "clintonG" with nearly exact same behavior as Travis has
explained. Could either of you review my concerns and respond?

There's a very big difference between a TV and a 21" computer monitor, it's
unlikely that the cause of the problem is particularly similar.

Junior Member

Wink

Thanks,

Mine the same, wouder if Sony Blinking Codes apply to KV27S15, if yes, capacitors and flyback =+- Q601, IC601, R612 and VDR601
BTW,fuse is good.

Thanks,

""Unit is dead and there are no blinks---Problem in the standby power section. Might check fuse, R607, Q601, IC601, R612 and VDR601 (should show open)""

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald