DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sony RPTV arcing and shutdown (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/115966-sony-rptv-arcing-shutdown.html)

Tomjac August 5th 05 05:33 PM

Sony RPTV arcing and shutdown

Hello all, this is my first post. I have a Sony KP-57HW40, RA-6 chassis that has a shutdown problem. After the set runs for approx. 15 minutes, there is arcing under one of the connectors on the D board and then the set shuts down with a HV error. I unplugged the socket from the CRT's so that only one was on at a time. The problem only occurs when the red CRT is connected. I would suspect the CRT is arcing internally and feeding back to the connector. Is there a possibility it is not the CRT. The arcing appears to be between pins labeled G2 and DFT. Is there any chance a bumpy ride in a truck could have caused internal shorting of the CRT?

Andy Cuffe August 5th 05 07:23 PM

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 17:33:23 +0100, Tomjac
wrote:

Hello all, this is my first post. I have a Sony KP-57HW40, RA-6 chassis
that has a shutdown problem. After the set runs for approx. 15 minutes,
there is arcing under one of the connectors on the D board and then the
set shuts down with a HV error. I unplugged the socket from the CRT's so
that only one was on at a time. The problem only occurs when the red CRT
is connected. I would suspect the CRT is arcing internally and feeding
back to the connector. Is there a possibility it is not the CRT. The
arcing appears to be between pins labeled G2 and DFT. Is there any
chance a bumpy ride in a truck could have caused internal shorting of
the CRT?

It's probably the CRT, but if you can make the cables reach, try
plugging the green, or blue CRT socket into the red CRT.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005

Tomjac August 8th 05 08:15 PM

Thanks for the ideas, I will give them a try tonight.

Tomjac August 25th 05 08:36 PM

It's the tube. I downloaded the service manual but see no mention of how to replace a tube. Is there any source for this procedure that anyone can recommend?