Old July 31st 05, 12:03 AM
orange

Default ATX power supply upside down?

Can ATX power supply work when mounted upside down? Its 300W
(Chaintech) but with small load (Amiga 2000).

Old July 31st 05, 12:36 AM
Ken Weitzel

orange wrote:
Can ATX power supply work when mounted upside down? Its 300W
(Chaintech) but with small load (Amiga 2000).

Of course, but naturally you must turn the monitor and
keyboard upside down too.

And it will run a bit slower, because some of the electricity
will dribble out of the holes. Makes the Chinese people
a bit angry.

Ken

Old July 31st 05, 12:44 AM
Jonathan

Yes they can....the electrons won't fall out

oups.com...

Old July 31st 05, 12:48 AM
orange

electronic components heat up. if you place PCB upside down heat will
go into the base of resistors and transistors, etc.. so I wanted to
know if that would be a problem.. a simple 'yes' or 'no' would do.

Old July 31st 05, 01:18 AM
Rich Webb

On 30 Jul 2005 16:48:42 -0700, "orange" wrote:

electronic components heat up. if you place PCB upside down heat will
go into the base of resistors and transistors, etc.. so I wanted to
know if that would be a problem.. a simple 'yes' or 'no' would do.

There is not an absolute answer. Some (most? all?) ATX supplies won't
care; I'd guess that most (all?) that are cooled with a fan would be the
"don't care" type. If the power supply did have restrictions on its
orientation, the manual should so state.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Old July 31st 05, 04:34 AM
JANA

Just make sure that there is a lot of air from the fan to blow through it.
Technically it is best to run it in the position where the heat will rise
off of the circuit boards, and not back to the circuit boards.

--

JANA
_____

oups.com...

Old July 31st 05, 06:00 AM
Franc Zabkar

On 30 Jul 2005 16:03:48 -0700, "orange" put finger
to keyboard and composed:

Can ATX power supply work when mounted upside down? Its 300W
(Chaintech) but with small load (Amiga 2000).

I understand your concern. I have a 350W Antec whose normal mounting
arrangement has the PCB upside down. In addition to the obvious
heating issues, there is an intake fan at the bottom of the case which
blows additional heat from the nearby CPU through the PSU and out via
the exhaust fan. Not an advisable setup IMHO.

- Franc Zabkar
Old July 31st 05, 06:20 AM
CJT

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On 30 Jul 2005 16:03:48 -0700, "orange" put finger
to keyboard and composed:

Can ATX power supply work when mounted upside down? Its 300W
(Chaintech) but with small load (Amiga 2000).

I understand your concern. I have a 350W Antec whose normal mounting
arrangement has the PCB upside down. In addition to the obvious
heating issues, there is an intake fan at the bottom of the case which
blows additional heat from the nearby CPU through the PSU and out via
the exhaust fan. Not an advisable setup IMHO.

- Franc Zabkar

The power supply fan is part of the case cooling system; it's not just
to cool the PS (if it were, the intake would be outside the case).

Old July 31st 05, 07:22 AM
Andy Cuffe

On 30 Jul 2005 16:48:42 -0700, "orange" wrote:

electronic components heat up. if you place PCB upside down heat will
go into the base of resistors and transistors, etc.. so I wanted to
know if that would be a problem.. a simple 'yes' or 'no' would do.

In that case, upside down would be better since the PCB is mounted on
the top of most ATX power supplies.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Old July 31st 05, 09:19 AM
James Sweet

"orange" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can ATX power supply work when mounted upside down? Its 300W
(Chaintech) but with small load (Amiga 2000).

You'll be fine either way, some PC's mount the supply upside down anyway.
The cooling is all done by the fan so convection is not an issue.

Converting old PC power supply to hobbyist PSU Adam Preble Electronics 0 February 27th 05 07:43 PM
Need help re power supply for new Digital (DLP) tv R. Bharat Rao Home Ownership 3 February 24th 05 03:43 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
POWER SUPPLY NEEDED DC-DC for Auto Hard Drive wadewells Electronics 0 March 28th 04 03:30 AM
Sony VCR Power Supply Don Satman Electronics Repair 9 January 23rd 04 05:48 PM