Sam Nickaby

Default Batteries die in remote

Sony remote for a Wega TV will not work unless I open the
lid and twist the battery a couple of times. I also clean the
battery and remote contact surfaces with a q-tip and nail
polish without much reliability. What are some ways that
I can do to improve its reliability?

Thanks

JANA

It sounds like there is a cold solder connection in the remote, or there is
a crack in the circuit board, thus making a trace opened. It is also
possible that a component inside is mechanically damaged.

You can open the remote, and see if there is anything you can find. Pay
particular attention to the soldering of the battery contacts. In some
remotes, the contacts are mechanically sitting on the board, and are not
soldered. In this case, the surfaces must be clean.

The remote you have was not intended to be serviceable. You will have to
make sure you remove all the screws to open it. There may be one hidden
under the label. Along the seam where the case-shells fit together, there
are some interlocking taps. You will have to use a fine tool to release
these carefully without damaging the case.

If the remote is not repairable, you can order one from Sony parts. A
universal one will not do all the menu functions for your Sony set.

--

JANA
_____

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
Sony remote for a Wega TV will not work unless I open the
lid and twist the battery a couple of times. I also clean the
battery and remote contact surfaces with a q-tip and nail
polish without much reliability. What are some ways that
I can do to improve its reliability?

Thanks

Andy

There might be poor mechanical (or badly soldered) inside possibly where
the battery connections attach to the printed circuit board. The best way to
check is to spring open the plastic case carefully with a small dinner knife
( fewer sharp edges than stanley knife) and check inside. This has to be
done very carefully with the minimum amount of pressure ,or the plastic tabs
will break off. I would use an ink rubber (slightly abrasive) to clean the
contacts ,and battery ends rather than cotton buds

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
Sony remote for a Wega TV will not work unless I open the
lid and twist the battery a couple of times. I also clean the
battery and remote contact surfaces with a q-tip and nail
polish without much reliability. What are some ways that
I can do to improve its reliability?

Thanks

JW

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:20:16 GMT "Sam Nickaby" wrote in
Message id: :

Sony remote for a Wega TV will not work unless I open the
lid and twist the battery a couple of times. I also clean the
battery and remote contact surfaces with a q-tip and nail
polish without much reliability.

Nail polish? I hope you're kidding...

Mikey

JW wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:20:16 GMT "Sam Nickaby" wrote in
Message id: :

Sony remote for a Wega TV will not work unless I open the
lid and twist the battery a couple of times. I also clean the
battery and remote contact surfaces with a q-tip and nail
polish without much reliability.

Nail polish? I hope you're kidding...

Maybe he meant nail polish remover.

Adam Sampson

JW writes:

Nail polish? I hope you're kidding...

I suspect that was meant to be "nail polish remover"...

--
Adam Sampson http://offog.org/
Jim Yanik

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in
:

Sony remote for a Wega TV will not work unless I open the
lid and twist the battery a couple of times. I also clean the
battery and remote contact surfaces with a q-tip and nail
polish without much reliability. What are some ways that
I can do to improve its reliability?

Thanks

Nail "polish" is not a polish,but an insulative coating.A lacquer.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik

Mikey wrote in
:

JW wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:20:16 GMT "Sam Nickaby" wrote in
Message id: :

Sony remote for a Wega TV will not work unless I open the
lid and twist the battery a couple of times. I also clean the
battery and remote contact surfaces with a q-tip and nail
polish without much reliability.

Nail polish? I hope you're kidding...

Maybe he meant nail polish remover.

That stuff contains more than just acetone.
It has oils to prevent harm to one's nails.
It probably leaves a nasty film of gunk.

You want acetone,go to the hardware store and buy straight acetone,not nail
polish remover.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
N Cook

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
Sony remote for a Wega TV will not work unless I open the
lid and twist the battery a couple of times. I also clean the
battery and remote contact surfaces with a q-tip and nail
polish without much reliability. What are some ways that
I can do to improve its reliability?

Thanks

If the pip on the + end of the battery pokes through a plastic slot
it may be only just making contact if recessed in the slot

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

jakdedert

N Cook wrote:
"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message

Sony remote for a Wega TV will not work unless I open the
lid and twist the battery a couple of times. I also clean the
battery and remote contact surfaces with a q-tip and nail
polish without much reliability. What are some ways that
I can do to improve its reliability?

Thanks

If the pip on the + end of the battery pokes through a plastic slot
it may be only just making contact if recessed in the slot

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Yeah, some battery positive terminals (and the positive end of the
battery itself, which might have an effect) are slightly different than
others...some shorter, some fatter...both of which might affect positive
(pun intended) contact.

jak
Jim Gregory

Try using a very fine emery cloth to clean springs that make with cell
electrodes (whilst "anchoring" them to reduce any strain on PCB), then blow
powder off and clean them with surgical spirit, especially if they were
caked in nail polish - which is an insulator in my book.
..
"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message
.. .
Mikey wrote in
:

JW wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:20:16 GMT "Sam Nickaby" wrote in
Message id: :

Sony remote for a Wega TV will not work unless I open the
lid and twist the battery a couple of times. I also clean the
battery and remote contact surfaces with a q-tip and nail
polish without much reliability.

Nail polish? I hope you're kidding...

Maybe he meant nail polish remover.

That stuff contains more than just acetone.
It has oils to prevent harm to one's nails.
It probably leaves a nasty film of gunk.

You want acetone,go to the hardware store and buy straight acetone,not
nail
polish remover.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

spudnuty

In addition to all of the above I've found that some Sony remotes use a
spiral wound wire for the poslitive contact. This can be indented
slightly if the remote is dropped. A penknife point inserted at the
center of the spiral will pull the spiral flat or slightly convex. This
will improve the contact.
BTW the old nailpolish remover was acetone which will damage most
plastics. Haven't tested the newer ones.
Richard

Jim Yanik

"Jim Gregory" wrote in
:

Try using a very fine emery cloth to clean springs that make with cell
electrodes (whilst "anchoring" them to reduce any strain on PCB), then
blow powder off and clean them with surgical spirit, especially if
they were caked in nail polish - which is an insulator in my book.

Once coated with lacquer(nail polish),"surgical spirit"(95% ethyl alcohol,I
believe) will have no effect. Acetone is readily available from Wal-
Mart,and other home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowes,hardware
stores.
Also,denatured alcohol is available from them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

.