dcau88

Default 2 panel projection engine implementation

Hi:

I've read a lot about projection technologies for rear and front
projection televisions. Has anyone seen a commercial implementation of
a two panel LCD/DMD/LCOS projection engine?

I've only see 3 panels and 1 panel with color-wheel.

Thanks,

Derek

James Sweet

"dcau88" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi:

I've read a lot about projection technologies for rear and front
projection televisions. Has anyone seen a commercial implementation of
a two panel LCD/DMD/LCOS projection engine?

I've only see 3 panels and 1 panel with color-wheel.

Thanks,

Derek

What would be the point of using 2 panels?

dcau88

Primarily lower cost with improved output and minimal artifacts over
single panel implementations. It is a hybrid between three panel and
time sequential single panel systems.

In a 2 panel implementation you would have a discreet panel on red for
example and sequential imaging on blue and green.

James Sweet

"dcau88" wrote in message
oups.com...
Primarily lower cost with improved output and minimal artifacts over
single panel implementations. It is a hybrid between three panel and
time sequential single panel systems.

In a 2 panel implementation you would have a discreet panel on red for
example and sequential imaging on blue and green.

Seems like kind of a waste of time to me, is that third panel really that
much more expensive than the color wheel and additional optics to make two
panels work? Makes more sense to use 1 panel for cheap units and 3 panels
for good ones.

dcau88

Hi James:

What you have said may very well be true and is reasonable to me. The
papers that I have seen date back to 1999. At the time, the incremental
cost of the additional panel(s) may have been a significant economic
issue. LCDs are ubiquitous and prices have fallen thus eliminating the
cost benefit.

I was just curious to see if anyone build and sold any with two panel
scheme.

Thanks,

Derek