Alex

Default Phillips 27" Dead after 4 months

I have a Phillips 27" which died after 4 months.

Model Number is 27PT6441/37.

Press power on (on TV or remote) and nothing.

Rumored to be a common problem with this TV.

Has anyone repaired this problem? Can you share your findings?
Maybe a Tech bulletin??

Email direct if you like to and/or use group.

Thanks,
Alex

Alex:
A television "not turning on" can be a "common problem" with ANY
electronic device.... just like "my car doesn't start" is certainly a
common problem and fault with any automobile.
The diagnosed faults could be something simple like a blown fuse to a
more complex and costly repair involving expensive parts and labor.....
and everything in-between. If you or someone you know has any
relevant technical experience and electronics knowledge along with the
proper test equipment, tools and parts.... this is something that can
obviously be diagnosed and repaired but first the back will have to
come off and some initial and basic technical troubleshooting and
component testing will need to be performed. For additional repair &
saftey information you should visit the website for this newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/
Plan to spend some search time there.... lots of useful information
including important SAFETY information that will help you to stay away
from dangerous and lethal electrical shock hazards inside your
television... note that there hazards can still be present even when
the television is unplugged from the AC power.
If after looking over the website you are still not certain how to
proceed you would be best advised to TAKE your television to a
qualified service shop for at the very least a repair cost estimate so
that you can make an intelligent repair decision with facts instead of
internet or telephone wild guesses.
Since the television is only one month out of it's 90 day warranty have
you contacted Phillips to see if they will do anything about the
problem? ? ? That would be my first thought.
electricitym
..
- - - -

Alex wrote:
I have a Phillips 27" which died after 4 months.

Model Number is 27PT6441/37.

Press power on (on TV or remote) and nothing.

Rumored to be a common problem with this TV.

Has anyone repaired this problem? Can you share your findings?
Maybe a Tech bulletin??

Email direct if you like to and/or use group.

Thanks,
Alex

Alex:
BEFORE you "jump in" you might re-consider my previous suggestion about
contacting Philips.... since it is only 4 months old maybe they will
cut you a break.... certainly worth the phone call.
electricitym

Andy Cuffe

On 20 Jul 2005 14:59:03 -0700, "Alex" wrote:

I have a Phillips 27" which died after 4 months.

Model Number is 27PT6441/37.

Press power on (on TV or remote) and nothing.

Rumored to be a common problem with this TV.

Has anyone repaired this problem? Can you share your findings?
Maybe a Tech bulletin??

Email direct if you like to and/or use group.

Thanks,
Alex

I've seen a LOT of recent Philips TVs with bad degaussing thermistors.
They come in dead with a blown line fuse. If you replace the fuse it
degausses very loudly and blows the new fuse. The sets run fine with
the degaussing coil unplugged. Replacing the degaussing thermistor
seems to cure the problem. I suspect the theirmistor isn't increasing
in resistance fast enough with temperature. Has anyone else seen
this? Is there anything official from Philips?
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005

Alex wrote:
I have a Phillips 27" which died after 4 months.

That could still be in warranty.

Model Number is 27PT6441/37.

Press power on (on TV or remote) and nothing.
Rumored to be a common problem with this TV.

Do you have a chassis number? Then do a google search on that. Normally
this could be any number of problems.

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.

Alex wrote:
I have a Phillips 27" which died after 4 months.

Model Number is 27PT6441/37.

Press power on (on TV or remote) and nothing.

Rumored to be a common problem with this TV.

Has anyone repaired this problem? Can you share your findings?
Maybe a Tech bulletin??

Email direct if you like to and/or use group.

Thanks,
Alex

where are you based? in the Uk, things like tvs have a 3 YEAR no
quibble warranty from most the big stores. you say you got 4
months???!!! that's downright robbery! I'd call the shop you got it
from , or failing that, trading standards or your local consumer rights
people, as the unit clearly is not 'of merchantable quality'.
-B.

-Alex

I'm with you...but many electronics sold here(USA) have 90 full coverage, up
to 1 year - You pay labor.

Doesn't say much for confidence in their product!

"b" wrote in message
ups.com...

Alex wrote:
I have a Phillips 27" which died after 4 months.

Model Number is 27PT6441/37.

Press power on (on TV or remote) and nothing.

Rumored to be a common problem with this TV.

Has anyone repaired this problem? Can you share your findings?
Maybe a Tech bulletin??

Email direct if you like to and/or use group.

Thanks,
Alex

where are you based? in the Uk, things like tvs have a 3 YEAR no
quibble warranty from most the big stores. you say you got 4
months???!!! that's downright robbery! I'd call the shop you got it
from , or failing that, trading standards or your local consumer rights
people, as the unit clearly is not 'of merchantable quality'.
-B.

-Alex

Thanks, Andy. That sounds exactly like this problem. The fuse is blown.

I'll replace the fuse, unplug the degassing coil and give it a go. I'll let
you know how it went.

Just in case...got a spec or part number for that thermistor?

Alex

-Alex wrote:
I'm with you...but many electronics sold here(USA) have 90 full coverage, up
to 1 year - You pay labor.

Doesn't say much for confidence in their product!

damn right! I thought the states was supposed to be the land where the
customer is king, capitalism par excellence blah blah.....what a hose
job! Although in the Uk, after about a month if you have a problem, I
think you have to put up with repair or replacement rather than a
straight refund. In any case, I've read that the Sale Of Goods Act
covers you for up to 5 years, a consumer law above and beyond the shop
or manufacturer guarantee, so with that in mind most shops treat you
well since they don't want to be taken to court over some product. They
usually just exchange to avoid the hassle. At least thats been my
experience....maybe you should 'lobby congress' (or whatever is usually
done stateside) to bring in something like that ! ;-)

Anyway, in the mean time, power the set with the PTC removed, see what
happens.
B.

-Alex

Well, B. I guess it has been this way here for some time and there doesn't
seem too much concern over such a deal. That's how those "Extended
warranties" are sold. It will likely remain so until our trash dump fills up
with throw-away products. This TV cost me $200 new... the repair cost was
quoted as "about" $130 (Sight un-seen). Think this may be a common
problem???

I would toss it out before repairing it for over 75% of the cost.

In any case, it appears to be functioning just fine with a new fuse. I
bought a package and decided to see if it would blow without removing
anything. It has been running for 5-6 hours solid and I did try powering it
off and on several times since that would be when surge current would be
high... Still works. Defective fuse??
Doubt it. Hate when that happens. After hearing Andy's findings and having
found basically the same story from a Google search, I decided that the
thermistor may be on the hairy edge of functioning so I'll buy a replacement
to have on hand. When the fuse blows again I'll replace fuse and thermistor
and go from there.

No doubt it will blow as soon as I put the cover back on! :-)

Appreciate all the help guys!

Thanks,
Alex

"b" wrote in message
ups.com...

-Alex wrote:
[...]

Jason D.

Appreciate all the help guys!

Thanks,
Alex

Alex,

I repair those Philips and your is one of those models under that
Philips' bulletins and there are 3 bulletins for that chassis to
increase reliablity and to repair one that failed as well. It is
common failures till Philips put the corrective actions into
production with changes to components parts.

You merely just replaced a fuse which we don't do until the problem is
repaired or done according to the bulletins.

Need to take care of all 3 bulletins. Your shop that quoted you
sounds they're not famillar with recent philips stuff. Take the TV to
shop that is philips authorized servicer and philips should able to
authorize the bulletins.

Next time, do not buy anything from stores that does not have 1 year
warranty especially on electronics over $200.

Not just Philips, other makers had bulletins as well, they only take
place if there's bulletins to perform when product is in for repairs
for any reason.

Cheers, Wizard

Alex:
Fuses do "wear out" ....... unless they are blown and all black
inside, which may indicate a serious short or fault in the circuitry, a
fuse can simply open up due to fatigue of the fuse element. If the
replacement 4 AMP SLOW BLOW fuse soon blows again then I would be
looking at some of the repair suggestions given to you by the other
reply posts.
You can also go to the website for this newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/
for more repair and troubleshooting suggestions including IMPORTANT
safety information when working on your television.
electricitym
..
..

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
-Alex wrote:
I'm with you...but many electronics sold here(USA) have 90 full
coverage, up to 1 year - You pay labor.

Crikey. My new TV bought in the UK from a store chain 'never knowingly
undersold' came with a 5 year unconditional warranty.
It wasn't the cheapest sticker price I could find, but when free delivery
and this warranty was included, the best value.

Then there's the consumer protection laws. An item sold must be fit for
the purpose. And there's no time limit stated for that. I'd expect a court
to find in your favour if a TV went wrong like this within 3 years.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Tom MacIntyre

On 22 Jul 2005 08:35:30 -0700, wrote:

Alex:
Fuses do "wear out"

Very rarely. I saw it once in about 6 years as a consumer electronics
repair technician. In that case, I had to do all the usual tests and
checks...how does one justify a full service/labour charge for
changing a fuse, given the lack of knowledge of most customers? :-)

The answer in this case worked...honesty...I explained that it was
rare, and that I had to do all the work to verify that more damage
wouldn't be done if I simply replaced the fuse. Some people wouldn't
have accepted it, and perhaps that customer simply wrote us off, but
that's the way the ball bounces.

I wonder if this sort of scenario ever gets used in a news sting on
repair shops (put a bad fuse in a good TV). That would be definitely
one that could be fought, and possibly leave egg on the face of the TV
station. The blown fuse scenario is one requiring among the most
exhaustive checks before a new fuse is installed, in many cases.

Tom

....... unless they are blown and all black
inside, which may indicate a serious short or fault in the circuitry, a
fuse can simply open up due to fatigue of the fuse element. If the
replacement 4 AMP SLOW BLOW fuse soon blows again then I would be
looking at some of the repair suggestions given to you by the other
reply posts.
You can also go to the website for this newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/
for more repair and troubleshooting suggestions including IMPORTANT
safety information when working on your television.
electricitym
.
.

The invoice would read:
Troubleshoot tv power and deflection systems for possible cause of open
fuse. Inspected for signs of power surge arcing in the line feed
section of the power supply. Perform standby and run current draw
checks on tv set. Perform all safety checks including leakage, signs
of excessive heating of components after extended test run. Replaced
fuse with proper type and rating.
Intermediate labor rate (not minimum, not maximum) plus the fuse.

Since this equipment was always set up on the bench and the safety and
leakage tests were always performed, it really did not take that much
tech time to do the job. Most of the 'bench' time was to let the tv
run four a few hours after replacing the fuse, and leaving out to turn
it on cold a few times before buttoning it up.