Default HeNe laser tube spes?

I just got a laser power meter and was measuring the output of some
20+year old HeNe laser tubes. These tubes were used in early 80's
Pioneer laser disc players. The service manual for one of the players
gives the spec on the tubes to be at 1mW at 633nm.
I tested 3 tubes all after about 15 minutes of warm up and on one tube
I get 1mW the other 1.2mW and one gives 0.8 mW, all using the same
power supply.
What would be considered too low for the out put on these tubes?
Do these tubes normaly exceed the 1mW spec? If so, usualy by how much?
Maybe Sam G. could give me an Idea?

Sam Goldwasser

writes:

I just got a laser power meter and was measuring the output of some
20+year old HeNe laser tubes. These tubes were used in early 80's
Pioneer laser disc players. The service manual for one of the players
gives the spec on the tubes to be at 1mW at 633nm.

I tested 3 tubes all after about 15 minutes of warm up and on one tube
I get 1mW the other 1.2mW and one gives 0.8 mW, all using the same
power supply.

What would be considered too low for the out put on these tubes?
Do these tubes normaly exceed the 1mW spec? If so, usualy by how much?
Maybe Sam G. could give me an Idea?

The spec is the minimum power after warmup during the life of the tube.
A new or young tube may be 2X the rated power or even more.

So, if they are rated 1 mW, you should see 1 mW or more after warmup
(at least 10 minutes). If you wait, I bet all your tubes are greater
than 1 mW.

Often, you'll find that unless the tube is truly end-of-life, the
mirror alignment has changed slightly due to thermal cycles and adjusting
it will bring back the missing power.

Don't attempt this unless you have read the info in the Laser FAQ chapter
on HeNe Laser Testing, Adjustment, Repair.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Laser level??? Sorta........ Tom Metalworking 9 December 30th 03 11:19 AM
Tech Review: Victor's (8liners/Genao) Replacement Arcade RGB Monitor Chassis (LONG) Pac-Fan Electronics Repair 22 November 26th 03 01:56 PM
Argon Laser, 150mW, American Laser Spudley Electronics 0 October 3rd 03 07:19 AM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 05:30 AM
JDS Uniphase SLM uGreen 532 nm DPSS Laser problems Sam Goldwasser Electronics Repair 0 July 15th 03 04:50 PM