DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Test cable TV input signal strength? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/110810-test-cable-tv-input-signal-strength.html)

[email protected] June 25th 05 06:21 PM

Test cable TV input signal strength?

I just made 3 16ft coax cable extensions that will run to 3 TVs (1
each) off of a cable that previously had only 2 TVs on it.
I bought rg6 wire with crimp on connectors and 3 5-900MHz 2-way
splittes for the connections.
I noticed a little snow in the reception of the 2 TVs i ran off of the
first 2-way splitter I installed.
Could I use my analog multimeter to test the signal strength coming
from the cable?
If so then what should the signal stength be?
The first splitter leads to 1 TV one way, and then the 4 other TVs.
The second split will be to 1 TV, and 2 TVs
Should I use better splitters?
Do I need a signal amp?
If so what do you recommend?
This is the first time that I have run cable so I'm not totaly certain
of what is best.

NSM June 25th 05 06:59 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...

Should I use better splitters?
Do I need a signal amp?

Get a 5 way splitter and use that. Use a Radio Shack amp if needs be - some
have a built in splitter.

[email protected] June 25th 05 08:49 PM

The 3 legs that I am running are far apart.
I could use 3 lenghts of 16 ft wire with 3 splitters or well over 150
ft of wire with a 5-way.

NSM June 25th 05 09:12 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...

The 3 legs that I am running are far apart.
I could use 3 lenghts of 16 ft wire with 3 splitters or well over 150
ft of wire with a 5-way.

Multiple splitters is a bad idea. The only other way is to run one cable and
use taps and not splitters.

[email protected] June 27th 05 02:13 AM

psistormyam:
There is NO free lunch here. If you split the signal two ways, each
television will get 1/2 of the original signal strength.... actually
a little less than that due to losses. If you split it 3 ways then
each television will get a little less than 1/3 of the original signal
strength.
Radio Shack sells a 4 way amplified splitter that compensates for the
split and the losses. Each of the 4 outputs produces a slightly
greater signal strength than the input.
electricitym
..

Mike Berger June 27th 05 04:48 PM

That's the correct way to do it. With the series connection
you have now, each TV down the line will get a progressively
worse signal. The star distribution configuration should give
you an adequate signal for each TV despite the longer coax length.

Mark June 28th 05 08:40 PM

and no you cannot use a vom multimeter to measure the catv signal.

Mark