DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   KDS 19" monitor problem (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/110305-kds-19%22-monitor-problem.html)

Larry C June 18th 05 11:53 PM

KDS 19" monitor problem

I have a KDS XF-9b monitor (19") that is about 14 months old. Recently it
started having a problem that I will try and describe. After it has been on
for a while (less time required lately) the screen will almost blank out for
a millisecond or two, then it comes back to normal. This is usually
preceeded by an electrical snap. Now I am also getting a series of snaps
when the monitor first comes on or out of standby mode.

I have tried degausing and I have also removed the cover and blasted away
all the dust I could. No change in the symptoms.

I'm no electronics tech, so I gues I am hoping for a possible "dummies" fix.
I hate to go shopping for a new monitor when this one is only a little over
a year old.

Your help is appreciated!

Tom MacIntyre June 19th 05 06:25 PM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:53:14 -0700, "Larry C"
wrote:

I have a KDS XF-9b monitor (19") that is about 14 months old. Recently it
started having a problem that I will try and describe. After it has been on
for a while (less time required lately) the screen will almost blank out for
a millisecond or two, then it comes back to normal. This is usually
preceeded by an electrical snap. Now I am also getting a series of snaps
when the monitor first comes on or out of standby mode.

Not quite enough information for a solid conclusion (no fault of
yours), but you've given a good enough description to tell me that
possibly it's a malfunctioning/intermittently shorting CRT. A shop may
be able to take care of this by "buzzing" the CRT (cleaning the
cathodes and/or blowing away the short with a device designed for that
purpose), but it's a crapshoot at best.

Tom

mistermaniac June 19th 05 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry C
I have a KDS XF-9b monitor (19") that is about 14 months old. Recently it
started having a problem that I will try and describe. After it has been on
for a while (less time required lately) the screen will almost blank out for
a millisecond or two, then it comes back to normal. This is usually
preceeded by an electrical snap. Now I am also getting a series of snaps
when the monitor first comes on or out of standby mode.

I have tried degausing and I have also removed the cover and blasted away
all the dust I could. No change in the symptoms.

I'm no electronics tech, so I gues I am hoping for a possible "dummies" fix.
I hate to go shopping for a new monitor when this one is only a little over
a year old.

Your help is appreciated!

Looks like the HV to the CRT is flying to somewhere else, like you described as the electrical snap.

Cyrus June 19th 05 10:54 PM

Larry,
Your monitor comes with 3 years warranty , check this site for more info.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-KDS_XF-9B...ay_~full_specs

Best wishes
Cyrus

Larry C June 21st 05 03:34 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I was digging through my reciepts and manuals
looking for the warrantee info before I made this post. I found the owners
manual, but there isn't any warrantee info in it. Of course I haven't found
the receipt yet either.

I'll keep looking and hope for the best. Since this baby was on sale for $99
bucks after rbate, maybe I got what I payed for :(

James Sweet June 21st 05 03:48 AM

"Larry C" wrote in message
Thanks for all the feedback. I was digging through my reciepts and manuals
looking for the warrantee info before I made this post. I found the owners
manual, but there isn't any warrantee info in it. Of course I haven't

found
the receipt yet either.

I'll keep looking and hope for the best. Since this baby was on sale for

$99
bucks after rbate, maybe I got what I payed for :(

Well yeah, but it's still worth looking into the warranty. They might cover
it just based on the serial number.

Tom MacIntyre June 21st 05 09:06 PM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 02:48:15 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"Larry C" wrote in message
Thanks for all the feedback. I was digging through my reciepts and manuals
looking for the warrantee info before I made this post. I found the owners
manual, but there isn't any warrantee info in it. Of course I haven't

found
the receipt yet either.

I'll keep looking and hope for the best. Since this baby was on sale for

$99
bucks after rbate, maybe I got what I payed for :(

Well yeah, but it's still worth looking into the warranty. They might cover
it just based on the serial number.

I've seen similar with a hard disk drive...if the manufacture date was
within the warranty period, the warranty status was obvious, and the
company (Fujitsu) honoured the warranty.

Tom