DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   TV keeps blowing audio IC (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/109621-tv-keeps-blowing-audio-ic.html)

Chris F. June 10th 05 11:51 PM

TV keeps blowing audio IC

Thought I had this little 9" TV working, but another even tougher problem
has popped up. After I originally fixed the set, I ran it for several hours
without any problems. Unplugged it and closed up for the night. When I
plugged it in and turned it on the next day, the volume was stuck on full
blast. I replaced the an IC which serves as the audio OP, volume control,
and mute; I also checked for bad caps and cold solder, and measured the
voltages on the IC to make sure they were correct. Set works great for a few
more hours, again I unplug it and close up. Once again, the next time I
power it, the sound is full blast. I only have one more IC left, and I'm not
installing it until I know what the underlying problem is!
A note about this set; when switched to radio, it uses the same audio IC.
The IC is powered by a separate power supply, not from the TV flyback.
What am I missing??
BTW please see my previous post "Yoke Replacment" for info about the
previous repair.

Doug June 11th 05 03:30 AM

maybe static charge of crt to speaker or chassis.
Check crt grounding if ok and speaker is close to crt run a ground to
the speaker frame useing a resistor maybe 1 k.

James Sweet June 11th 05 04:09 AM

"Chris F." wrote in message
[...]

Did you check the voltage of the power supply at the IC?

Chris F. June 11th 05 03:04 PM

That's what I'm wondering too, since it only seems to fail on powerup. I
will check that out.

oups.com...

James Sweet June 11th 05 07:13 PM

"Chris F." wrote in message
That's what I'm wondering too, since it only seems to fail on powerup. I
will check that out.

Did you check the voltage at powerup too to make sure it doesn't spike?
Unlikely but possible.