Junior Member

Question Panasonic NV-FS100B /FS100 PSU fault

Hi, i have a fault with my (Panasonic S-VHS NV-FS100B) VCR in the PSU, the PSU makes a squeaking sound for about 2 seconds when switched on from cold, and the VCR remains dead. I have replaced all the capacitors with long-life Panasonic ECG type, but it still makes the noise. I notice that the connector pins give off the right voltages (i cross-referenced these with someone on eBay who had a service manual), but as soon as a load is placed on the PSU (by reconnecting the edge connector), the squeak happens again! and all output voltages fall to zero (protect/ shut down?)
I suspect a Zener diode is bad - is a squeaking noise usually associated with this type of component? or is there a mouse residing in my VCR somewhere?

Also, some notes on the g-deck mech that this VCR (and some Philips vcr's use), if you get humming on the audio in mono, try adjusting the tension on the smaller orange band on the bottom of the deck, also try cleaning the capstan as this sometimes helps. I normally dismantle most of the top of the deck and relubricate the cassette loader and gear as well - best to do it all in one go. The tape loader arm and housing can dry out over time and tapes sometimes become stuck when inserting them, and slow on eject.
The G-deck mechanism is also used by some Philips models (VR712, VR716, VR813 - i know these for sure), so you can substitute parts with these models as they are almost identical.

NST1