Neo

Default Goot Soldering Station

I am about to purchase a temperature controlled soldering station.

Seems that the Hakko936 are very well known.

However, I have been unable to find any feedback on Goot stations.

These are sold in Australia by Jaycar.

https://secure2.vivid-design.com.au...x=&SUBCATID=627

Anybody tried these?

How do they measure up to Hakko's?

TIA,
Neo.

Roger Lascelles

"Neo" wrote in message
I am about to purchase a temperature controlled soldering station.

Seems that the Hakko936 are very well known.

However, I have been unable to find any feedback on Goot stations.

These are sold in Australia by Jaycar.

https://secure2.vivid-design.com.au...x=&SUBCATID=627

Anybody tried these?

How do they measure up to Hakko's?

TIA,
Neo.

I bought a GOOT 240V iron and was disappointed. Temp was very low, when I
opened it up to try and tweak the internal trimpot, I discoverted the guts
were shoved down the handle so that reassembly was difficult. Thing went
bang and I binned it. Low voltage types may be good, though

Roger

David L. Jones

Neo wrote:
I am about to purchase a temperature controlled soldering station.

Seems that the Hakko936 are very well known.

However, I have been unable to find any feedback on Goot stations.

These are sold in Australia by Jaycar.

https://secure2.vivid-design.com.au...x=&SUBCATID=627

Anybody tried these?

How do they measure up to Hakko's?

TIA,
Neo.

Go for the Hakko. You'll be guaranteed to get spares in the future
along with a whole range of tips and accesories. The Hakkos are very
reliable too, you simply cannot go wrong buying a Hakko.

Anything Jaycar sell will certainly be inferior to the Hakko.

Dave

Ray L. Volts

"Neo" wrote in message
I am about to purchase a temperature controlled soldering station.

Seems that the Hakko936 are very well known.

However, I have been unable to find any feedback on Goot stations.

These are sold in Australia by Jaycar.

https://secure2.vivid-design.com.au...x=&SUBCATID=627

Anybody tried these?

How do they measure up to Hakko's?

TIA,
Neo.

Dunno bout Goot, but if you can find Weller stations in Oz, they won't
disappoint. Depending on where you buy, Weller stations can cost a bit more
than others, but in my experience they've proven very durable and reliable
over the decades.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...g%20Station s

James Sweet

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

"Neo" wrote in message
I am about to purchase a temperature controlled soldering station.

Seems that the Hakko936 are very well known.

However, I have been unable to find any feedback on Goot stations.

These are sold in Australia by Jaycar.

https://secure2.vivid-design.com.au...x=&SUBCATID=627

Anybody tried these?

How do they measure up to Hakko's?

TIA,
Neo.

Dunno bout Goot, but if you can find Weller stations in Oz, they won't
disappoint. Depending on where you buy, Weller stations can cost a bit

more
than others, but in my experience they've proven very durable and reliable
over the decades.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...g%20Station s

Weller has made excellent stuff in the past, though lately their quality has
slipped. I'd second the recommendation for a Hakko, we have a 936 in the lab
at work and it's excellent.

Terry Given

David L. Jones wrote:
Neo wrote:

I am about to purchase a temperature controlled soldering station.

Seems that the Hakko936 are very well known.

However, I have been unable to find any feedback on Goot stations.

These are sold in Australia by Jaycar.

https://secure2.vivid-design.com.au...x=&SUBCATID=627

Anybody tried these?

How do they measure up to Hakko's?

TIA,
Neo.

Go for the Hakko. You'll be guaranteed to get spares in the future
along with a whole range of tips and accesories. The Hakkos are very
reliable too, you simply cannot go wrong buying a Hakko.

Anything Jaycar sell will certainly be inferior to the Hakko.

Dave

go for the Hakko 942. The tips are hot-pluggable (pun intentional), and
the iron performs almost as well as my Metcal (but cost 10x less).
Dynamic thermal response is excellent, as the temperature sensor and
heater are right at the probe tip.

Cheers
Terry
Alex Gibson

"Neo" wrote in message
[...]

Hakko or Xytronic both very good and can get spares easily.

Have a Xytronic 988D sitting on my desk , has worked flawlessly.

For tip cleaning , the dry type tip cleaners (look like left overs from
turning copper)
work well and avoid needing a wet sponge or replacement sponges.

Alex

dmm

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:23:41 +1000, "Alex Gibson" wrote:

snip

Hakko or Xytronic both very good and can get spares easily.

Have a Xytronic 988D sitting on my desk , has worked flawlessly.

For tip cleaning , the dry type tip cleaners (look like left overs from
turning copper)
work well and avoid needing a wet sponge or replacement sponges.

Alex

Alex, does the solder waste stick to the dry tip cleaners? Is it easy
to clean the solder from the "swarf", ie shaking it?

Leonard Caillouet

Hakko is discontinuing the 936 in favor of one with a digital display, which
otherwise looks the same. I found a supplier of what appears to either be
an exact copy or the same unit made by Atten in China. The company is
Acifica and sells the 936 for about half ($48.00) of what you will find the
Hakko. Even the internal parts list for the tips was identical, so I wonder
if these folks are making them for Hakko. The parts seem to interchange
fine.

Leonard

"Neo" wrote in message
I am about to purchase a temperature controlled soldering station.

Seems that the Hakko936 are very well known.

However, I have been unable to find any feedback on Goot stations.

These are sold in Australia by Jaycar.

https://secure2.vivid-design.com.au...x=&SUBCATID=627

Anybody tried these?

How do they measure up to Hakko's?

TIA,
Neo.

Dunno bout Goot, but if you can find Weller stations in Oz, they won't
disappoint. Depending on where you buy, Weller stations can cost a bit

more
than others, but in my experience they've proven very durable and

reliable
over the decades.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...ist=1&att_id=W
EL003&att1=Soldering%20Stations&att2=Industrial%20 Soldering%20Stations

Weller has made excellent stuff in the past, though lately their quality

has
slipped. I'd second the recommendation for a Hakko, we have a 936 in the

lab
at work and it's excellent.

Alex Gibson

"dmm" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 14:23:41 +1000, "Alex Gibson" wrote:

snip

Hakko or Xytronic both very good and can get spares easily.

Have a Xytronic 988D sitting on my desk , has worked flawlessly.

For tip cleaning , the dry type tip cleaners (look like left overs from
turning copper)
work well and avoid needing a wet sponge or replacement sponges.

Alex

Alex, does the solder waste stick to the dry tip cleaners? Is it easy
to clean the solder from the "swarf", ie shaking it?

Yes. They clean up pretty well.
Depends how much excess solder you use.

Alex

repair Weller EC2001 soldering station Jim Babcock Electronics Repair 2 July 13th 05 05:07 PM
Soldering T&E Nick Atty UK diy 20 May 24th 05 06:45 PM
ADV: All-Spec Limited Time Sale - $89 Weller Soldering Stations Glen Electronics 0 December 2nd 04 06:21 AM
Help fixing Weller EC2002A Soldering Station **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** Electronics Repair 4 September 18th 04 04:35 AM
Recommendations for soldering station and Desoldering station or rework station. Z Electronics Repair 0 May 9th 04 04:15 AM