Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
andy12345

Default HAS DOMESTIC MAINS EARTH FAILED AT SOME POINT?

Hello,
It has come to my attention recently - after using computer
communications voice software that I can reduce the hum of the
microphone recording by lightly touching my pc case.
I was always under the impression that the earthing worked in my room.
However, I have bypassed the psu earth temporarily simply by
connecting a wire from a clamp in the pc case(unpainted surface) to
the earth contact hole of the mains socket.
This does not reduce the hum at all. However, by touching the case
and touching the floor with the other hand I can reduce the hum on
the signal. Therefore, is the earthing failing at some point in the
house or is there something that I am ignorant of?

I can supply any information if you require more detail.
thanks
goodbye

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 17 December 8th 03 10:57 PM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 10 October 29th 03 01:27 AM
Ceiling fan earth Andy Wade UK diy 5 August 11th 03 04:16 PM