DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   PS2 plays DVD with dim picture (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/107408-ps2-plays-dvd-dim-picture.html)

moonlite May 26th 05 01:54 AM

PS2 plays DVD with dim picture

Hi- I have an older model Playstation 2 that plays DVD movies but with
a twist: the picture keeps fluctuating from a nice bright picture to
dim, very dim. When it becomes dim it lasts for about 13 seconds then
it brightens up nicely again for a few seconds only to dim again for 13
seconds and the cycle continues. I thought it was the TV, but it does
the same thing on every TV I try. The games play just fine. I only
experience this problem with DVD movies. Has anyone seen this before ?
Thank you.

moonlite

NSM May 26th 05 02:26 AM

"moonlite" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi- I have an older model Playstation 2 that plays DVD movies but with
a twist: the picture keeps fluctuating from a nice bright picture to
dim, very dim. When it becomes dim it lasts for about 13 seconds then
it brightens up nicely again for a few seconds only to dim again for 13
seconds and the cycle continues. I thought it was the TV, but it does
the same thing on every TV I try. The games play just fine. I only
experience this problem with DVD movies. Has anyone seen this before ?
Thank you.

Sounds a bit like Macrovision protection.

moonlite May 26th 05 04:39 AM

Thanks ! Macrovision ? But the same DVD's play fine if I use a regular
DVD player.

moonlite

NSM May 26th 05 05:29 AM

"moonlite" wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks ! Macrovision ? But the same DVD's play fine if I use a regular
DVD player.

Just a guess but Macrovision screws with the AGC system on VCRs and may do
the same to your Playstation.

[email protected] May 26th 05 03:10 PM

Try hooking your PS2 directly to a different television. If you have
it hooked into the A/V input jacks of a VCR or a VCR-TV combo you are
probably seeing the result of a copy protection scheme like
Macrovision.
electricitym
..
..
..

moonlite May 26th 05 04:40 PM

Thank you very much. You were right, especially you electricitym ! I
had the PS2 hooked up to a TV/VCR combo. I tried a regular TV (not a
combo) and the picture is fine. I said earlier I tried the machine on
several television and now I'm realizing they were ALL combo units.
Thanks again for your time !

moonlite