DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dead JVC AV3589S 35" TV (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/105830-dead-jvc-av3589s-35%22-tv.html)

Ric May 10th 05 02:28 AM

Dead JVC AV3589S 35" TV

Got a dead JVC 35" (or maybe 36") TV.
Model AV3589S
I hear the relay click when power button is pressed.
No LED's light up on the front and no high voltage
felt on screen.
Haven't opened it up yet to check B+ or other supply
voltages (damn this thing is heavy).

Any repair tips would be appreciated.
..

AZ Nomad May 10th 05 03:55 AM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 01:28:40 GMT, Ric wrote:

Got a dead JVC 35" (or maybe 36") TV.
Model AV3589S
I hear the relay click when power button is pressed.
No LED's light up on the front and no high voltage
felt on screen.
Haven't opened it up yet to check B+ or other supply
voltages (damn this thing is heavy).

Any repair tips would be appreciated.
.

Step one: learn how to use a web browser.
Step two: learn how to have it go to a search site like google.
Step three: learn how to enter usefull search terms like
"sci.electronics.repair faq"

step four:
visit http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/

step five: look for stuff on repairing tv sets like:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/tvfaq.htm

Pay attention to the section about high voltages if you want to avoid a
painfull mistake.

Slim May 10th 05 04:21 AM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 02:55:18 GMT, AZ Nomad wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2005 01:28:40 GMT, Ric wrote:

Got a dead JVC 35" (or maybe 36") TV.
Model AV3589S
I hear the relay click when power button is pressed.
No LED's light up on the front and no high voltage
felt on screen.
Haven't opened it up yet to check B+ or other supply
voltages (damn this thing is heavy).

Any repair tips would be appreciated.
.

Step one: learn how to use a web browser.

I know how to use a web brower.

Step two: learn how to have it go to a search site like google.

Did many a Google search on the web and in the newsgroups before
posting here.

Step three: learn how to enter usefull search terms like
"sci.electronics.repair faq"

I have this repair faq.......doesn't tell me anything I don't already know.

step four:
visit http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/

This may be useful.....but doesn't give me anything model specific.

step five: look for stuff on repairing tv sets like:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/tvfaq.htm

Pay attention to the section about high voltages if you want to avoid a
painfull mistake.

I have many years of experience working on TVs and computer monitors.
You've told me absolutely NOTHING. Now what I have here is a dead
JVC TV with no service manual or schematics. I'm sure I could get in it
and familiarize myself, and eventually fix it, but in order to maybe save some
time and troubleshooting, I thought maybe someone had encountered
this problem before. Thanks for nothing.

[email protected] May 10th 05 02:08 PM

Doing a google search, I found three references to high esr capacitors
in the power supply taking out the regulator ic. Start there.