DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   AC shaded pole single phase induction pole motor (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/104194-ac-shaded-pole-single-phase-induction-pole-motor.html)

[email protected] April 25th 05 06:20 AM

AC shaded pole single phase induction pole motor

Sir/Madam

i have a dayton a.c. shaded pole single phase motor with 1/150HP,
3000
RPM, 230 V, 60 Hz frequency and Full Load Amps
0.24 . I want to control the torque of this motor through program.For
that i have feedback from motor is current to the motor . I want to
control the torque use this current as feedback.for that I need a
equation connecting torque and the current.

Asimov April 25th 05 04:01 PM

" bravely wrote to "All" (24 Apr 05 21:20:34)
--- on the heady topic of "AC shaded pole single phase induction pole motor"

an From:
an Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:46513

an Sir/Madam

an i have a dayton a.c. shaded pole single phase motor with 1/150HP,
an 3000
an RPM, 230 V, 60 Hz frequency and Full Load Amps
an 0.24 . I want to control the torque of this motor through program.For
an that i have feedback from motor is current to the motor . I want to
an control the torque use this current as feedback.for that I need a
an equation connecting torque and the current.

RPM of this motor type is dependant on frequency. Altering the voltage
will only give approximately 10% practical change in torque.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Engineers do it to maximum stress loads.

Sam Goldwasser April 25th 05 11:00 PM

"Asimov" writes:

" bravely wrote to "All" (24 Apr 05 21:20:34)
--- on the heady topic of "AC shaded pole single phase induction pole motor"

an From:
an Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:46513

an Sir/Madam

an i have a dayton a.c. shaded pole single phase motor with 1/150HP,
an 3000
an RPM, 230 V, 60 Hz frequency and Full Load Amps
an 0.24 . I want to control the torque of this motor through program.For
an that i have feedback from motor is current to the motor . I want to
an control the torque use this current as feedback.for that I need a
an equation connecting torque and the current.

RPM of this motor type is dependant on frequency. Altering the voltage
will only give approximately 10% practical change in torque.

While most induction motors are run at nearly constant speed, for shaded
pole motors with a light load like a fan, the torque and thus speed can vary
from near zero to almost synchronous speed based on input voltage. I use a
Variac to control my window fan. It works very well.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

James Sweet April 26th 05 04:39 AM

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Asimov" writes:

[...]

As will a simple light dimmer in most cases, though some don't like driving
inductive loads. Speed controllers for shaded pole motors are widely
available and they're nothing more than a triac dimmer circuit.

NSM April 26th 05 06:48 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sir/Madam

i have a dayton a.c. shaded pole single phase motor with 1/150HP,
3000
RPM, 230 V, 60 Hz frequency and Full Load Amps
0.24 . I want to control the torque of this motor through program.For
that i have feedback from motor is current to the motor . I want to
control the torque use this current as feedback.for that I need a
equation connecting torque and the current.

Try to find an old book, the "GE SCR Manual". See also
http://www.unusualresearch.com/

N Cook April 26th 05 08:36 AM

"Asimov" writes:

[...]

I tried this once with as a mod to drying fans in a photographic print
processor
and there was a cyclic revving / slowing effect rather than constant
RPM.

Sam Goldwasser April 26th 05 02:56 PM

"James Sweet" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

While most induction motors are run at nearly constant speed, for shaded
pole motors with a light load like a fan, the torque and thus speed can

vary
from near zero to almost synchronous speed based on input voltage. I use

Variac to control my window fan. It works very well.

As will a simple light dimmer in most cases, though some don't like driving
inductive loads. Speed controllers for shaded pole motors are widely
available and they're nothing more than a triac dimmer circuit.

Though they will probably have some slighlty modified phase characteristics
when called a motor controller. For a very small shaded pole motor load,
a normal light dimmer may behave strangely.

[email protected] April 27th 05 02:08 PM

could u please suggest me a sensor ,to measure the speed of the rotor
in an easiest way

James Sweet April 28th 05 04:53 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
could u please suggest me a sensor ,to measure the speed of the rotor
in an easiest way

Paint half the shaft black and epoxy a reflective opto sensor or an IR LED
and photodiode next to each other on top of the motor so you get a pulse
every time the shaft goes around.

NSM April 28th 05 06:49 AM

Paint half the shaft black and epoxy a reflective opto sensor or an IR LED
and photodiode next to each other on top of the motor so you get a pulse
every time the shaft goes around.

Or epoxy a small magnet and use a hall sensor.

James Sweet April 28th 05 06:57 AM

--

That would work too, though I would be concerned the magnet would fly off or
cause vibration. It is less sensitive to dirt though. A metal gear or other

NSM April 28th 05 07:41 AM

That would work too, though I would be concerned the magnet would fly off

or
cause vibration. It is less sensitive to dirt though. A metal gear or

other
toothed object on the shaft (cooling fan in the motor?) and a reluctance
pickup might work too.

The magnet has been used on autos for a long time. You could also drill the
shaft and drive a roll pin through it - 2 pulses per revolution to a
reluctance pickup. But we still don't know why the OP wants to do this.

James Sweet April 28th 05 05:38 PM

"NSM" wrote in message news:6I_be.8261$HR1.3763@clgrps12...

"James Sweet" wrote in message

That would work too, though I would be concerned the magnet would fly

off
or
cause vibration. It is less sensitive to dirt though. A metal gear or

other
toothed object on the shaft (cooling fan in the motor?) and a

reluctance
pickup might work too.

The magnet has been used on autos for a long time. You could also drill

the
shaft and drive a roll pin through it - 2 pulses per revolution to a
reluctance pickup. But we still don't know why the OP wants to do this.
--

Speed regulation on a shaded pole motor I'm assuming, though they're usually
used in fans and such that don't need regulation but it shouldn't be hard to

Although they're horribly inneficient I do like many aspects of shaded pole
motors.

NSM April 29th 05 04:37 AM

Speed regulation on a shaded pole motor I'm assuming, though they're

usually
used in fans and such that don't need regulation but it shouldn't be hard

provide it.

Although they're horribly inneficient I do like many aspects of shaded

pole
motors.

They're OK for a lot of jobs. Another choice is PSC.