tempus fugit

Default Replacing those 'can' type electros

Hey all;

I've got an old tube amp with a lot of hum so I am going to replace the
filter caps. The problem is, they are in a can. The can says
10uF 350 (with a little trangle beside it)
10uF 350 (with a little square beside it)
2uF 350

I think I can figure that part out. The can has 3 terminals and is grounded
to the chassis. Can I assume from this that each of the terminals is the +
of the cap and the - is connected to ground? Also, how do I figure out which
terminal goes to which cap? What do the triangle and square mean?

Thanks

Sam Goldwasser

"tempus fugit" writes:

Hey all;

I've got an old tube amp with a lot of hum so I am going to replace the
filter caps. The problem is, they are in a can. The can says
10uF 350 (with a little trangle beside it)
10uF 350 (with a little square beside it)
2uF 350

I think I can figure that part out. The can has 3 terminals and is grounded
to the chassis. Can I assume from this that each of the terminals is the +
of the cap and the - is connected to ground? Also, how do I figure out which
terminal goes to which cap? What do the triangle and square mean?

On the bottom, you'll see corresponding triangles, squares, etc., to identify
the positive terminals. The negatives are the can unless otherwise indicated.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Mr. Land

There are 3 separate electrolytics in that can. As you guessed, all of
their negatives are tied together. If you look at the terminals you
should see the corresponding triangle and square, identifying the
postive terminals for the 10uF portions.

Good luck with the hum...

tempus fugit

Thanks a lot guys. That explains the shapes...

"Mr. Land" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are 3 separate electrolytics in that can. As you guessed, all of
their negatives are tied together. If you look at the terminals you
should see the corresponding triangle and square, identifying the
postive terminals for the 10uF portions.

Good luck with the hum...

Paint won't stick to Artex type ceiling Warren Owen UK diy 9 September 1st 05 09:53 PM
Replacing A LCD projector bulb with alternative Mike Kennedy Electronics Repair 10 December 21st 04 04:12 PM
MCB type B or C andrewpreece UK diy 6 December 17th 04 11:14 AM
New type of screws v older type John UK diy 8 December 16th 04 02:29 PM
Shower pump for can type shower head. steve UK diy 3 January 16th 04 11:38 AM