DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   timer question (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/102090-timer-question.html)

scott canale April 8th 05 11:51 PM

timer question

o.k., so now i have a timer that will let me adjust between 1 minute and 23
hours and 59 minutes. but now...
when the timer turns off, i need to ring an alarm, a loud and annoying
alarm such as an old fire drill alarm or to signal an alarm that can be tied
into the intercom system at the business. any ideas?????

Dave Plowman (News) April 9th 05 12:35 AM

In article ,
scott canale wrote:
o.k., so now i have a timer that will let me adjust between 1 minute and
23 hours and 59 minutes. but now... when the timer turns off, i need to
ring an alarm, a loud and annoying alarm such as an old fire drill
alarm or to signal an alarm that can be tied into the intercom system
at the business. any ideas?????

The simple way is to use a relay with change over contacts. Feed the coil
off the timeswitch, and when it switches off it makes a connection between
the common and normally closed contacts on the relay.

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

NSM April 9th 05 11:29 PM

"scott canale" wrote in message
. com...
o.k., so now i have a timer that will let me adjust between 1 minute and

23
hours and 59 minutes. but now...
when the timer turns off, i need to ring an alarm, a loud and annoying
alarm such as an old fire drill alarm or to signal an alarm that can be

tied
into the intercom system at the business. any ideas?????

Connect it to the NC contacts.

Comteck April 12th 05 05:51 AM

"scott canale" wrote in
. com:

o.k., so now i have a timer that will let me adjust between 1 minute
and 23 hours and 59 minutes. but now...
when the timer turns off, i need to ring an alarm, a loud and
annoying
alarm such as an old fire drill alarm or to signal an alarm that can
be tied into the intercom system at the business. any ideas?????

Your timer should have 2 sets of contacts; N.O. (Normally Open), and N.C.
(Normally Closed). Those contacts simply act as a switch. Connect to the
N.O. contacts, so that when the timer changes state it will close, thus
turning on whichever circuit you may be connected to.

Travis

NSM April 12th 05 06:21 AM

"Comteck" wrote in message
45...
"scott canale" wrote in
. com:

o.k., so now i have a timer that will let me adjust between 1 minute
and 23 hours and 59 minutes. but now...
when the timer turns off, i need to ring an alarm, a loud and
annoying
alarm such as an old fire drill alarm or to signal an alarm that can
be tied into the intercom system at the business. any ideas?????

Your timer should have 2 sets of contacts; N.O. (Normally Open), and N.C.
(Normally Closed). Those contacts simply act as a switch. Connect to the
N.O. contacts, so that when the timer changes state it will close, thus
turning on whichever circuit you may be connected to.

You mean NC. NC are closed after the timer runs out.