Old June 14th 16, 01:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default I'm available for projects

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 07:42:17 -0500, amdx wrote:

On 5/12/2016 1:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I sit here bored out of my skull with nothing to do but play Solitaire
until the next project start on July 5 ;-)

I'm noted for custom Analog/Mixed-Signal Design and Spice Behavioral
Modeling, but I also do designs using off-the-shelf components.

No project is too small... I've even done one-day designs from
time-to-time.

Drop me an E-mail (*)

(*) Do not include attachments in your first E-mail... An E-mail not
matching an entry in my addressbook and with an attachment drops your
E-mail into a black hole.

...Jim Thompson

Did you complete the audio compressor/limiter you were working on for
a bit?
Mikek

I don't even remember that ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Old June 21st 16, 04:04 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 6/14/2016 7:55 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

As I recall it was a personal project, you had ask a question here about it.
I'm interested because I use an FM transmitter to transmit my internet
radio audio around the house/yard. Some internet radio signals have high
volume some have low, and sometimes it's different between programs*.
I'd like to level this, without adjusting the transmitter input level
each time I switch internet stations.

Did you ever listen to these radio shows as a youngster?
Gunsmoke, William Conrad voices Matt Dillion, The Six Shooter with
Jimmy Stewart, Dragnet with Jack Webb, Bold Venture staring Humphrey
Bogart and Lauren Bacall, The Adventures of Philip Marlowe,
Our Miss Brooks with Eve Arden, and of course The Shadow?

* I often listen to Old Time Radio Programs, and there can be a level
difference between shows.

Mikek
Old June 21st 16, 04:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 10:04:15 -0500, amdx wrote:

[...]

I'm much older... I'm of "The Fat Man" and "The Lone Ranger" era.

I guess you missed this part of the compressor thread...

From: Jim Thompson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Best Audio Clipping Ind Circuit
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[snip]

Use a compressor instead, like...

http://tinyurl.com/4npqpcl

I use one to level everything out of my Roku Soundbridge before it
goes to my sound system... since streaming feeds on the Internet are
so variable in amplitude.

...Jim Thompson

From: Jim Thompson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[snip]

Use a compressor instead, like...

http://tinyurl.com/4npqpcl

I use one to level everything out of my Roku Soundbridge before it
goes to my sound system... since streaming feeds on the Internet are
so variable in amplitude.

...Jim Thompson

I did miss that part, or forgot it because I didn't want to spend that
much.
So I take it that's what you bought, and you are happy with it?

Yes the "Fat Man" and "The Lone Ranger" have also played on the Internet
stations I listen to, I'd rather listen to "Fat Man" than
"The Lone Ranger", Gunsmoke would probably be my favorite, but I enjoy
most of the detective stories, Dragnet and Philip Marlowe etc.

Went on a search and found this compressor.
https://www.amazon.com/rolls-SL33B-S...dio+compressor

I'll search a bit more but think I'll buy that one.

Mikek

From: Jim Thompson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[snip]

Use a compressor instead, like...

http://tinyurl.com/4npqpcl

I use one to level everything out of my Roku Soundbridge before it
goes to my sound system... since streaming feeds on the Internet are
so variable in amplitude.

...Jim Thompson

I did miss that part, or forgot it because I didn't want to spend that
much.
So I take it that's what you bought, and you are happy with it?

Yep. Works for radio, but not so well for TV movies which can have
significant pauses between speaking... thus the volume runs up and
down.

One reviewer of your selection comments short attack (good), short
decay (bad).

From: Jim Thompson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[snip]

Use a compressor instead, like...

http://tinyurl.com/4npqpcl

I use one to level everything out of my Roku Soundbridge before it
goes to my sound system... since streaming feeds on the Internet are
so variable in amplitude.

...Jim Thompson

I did miss that part, or forgot it because I didn't want to spend that
much.
So I take it that's what you bought, and you are happy with it?

Yep. Works for radio, but not so well for TV movies which can have
significant pauses between speaking... thus the volume runs up and
down.

One reviewer of your selection comments short attack (good), short
decay (bad).

I noted that, also saw it was the only review like that. If it is
objectionable, I'll return it, if it works reasonably well it can always
be tweaked.
If it wasn't for buying enclosures, variable resistors and connectors,
it would be cheap to build. :-) There is a schematic online, although
someone said it has a few errors.

From: Jim Thompson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[...]

I designed a compressor for a hearing aid about 48 years ago...
testing it before I got it working correctly... blew a hole in my left
eardrum :-(

...Jim Thompson

From: Jim Thompson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[...]

Bummer about the eardrum!
I reviewed again that negative review on Amazon, she said by adding
10uf to 100uf cap from emitter to collector of Q1 eliminated the raspyness.
Only problem is, as I see it the units has 1 single IC and no
transistors. I wonder if it she has an older or newer unit.
Her review is recent, the published schematic is May 2009.
I think she just may be confused.
Mikek

From: Jim Thompson

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[...]

I need to apologize to the reviewer.
I received the Rolls SL338 program Limiter.
It has a schematic and shows the unit has been revised from their
original schematic that was posted online. The new schematic has a
couple of optoisolators, and most important, one transistor labeled Q1!
I have it hooked up, but I'm not ready to make any comments yet. I
need to solve some hum and breakthrough problems, possibly caused by the
FM antenna to close to the limiter.
Listening to Dragnet, Jack Webb is advertising Chesterfields. :-)
Also an ad asking for blood donations to get gamma globulin to help
fight polo.
It also had an ad for Fatima cigarettes, that's one I never heard of.
http://graphic-design.tjs-labs.com/s...?id=1174783428

Mikek

diy projects to do. happy zombie jebus on the cross UK diy 28 August 26th 13 11:42 AM
Two Projects Sonny Woodworking 20 February 15th 13 09:15 PM
Need some new projects? Jerome Cooper Woodworking 3 March 10th 11 01:34 AM
do all projects end like this? Nate Nagel Home Repair 35 December 5th 07 03:29 AM