Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default PDF reader.

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 21:12:37 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit. google for "pdf reader" to find it, and lots of others.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI Vancouver BC
peterbb (at) telus.net

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

news.com...
wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the
post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit. google for "pdf reader" to find it, and lots of others.

Thanks - that may be the one that was mentioned.

In the past, I've found some dodgy things by doing a general "pdf reader"
search.

Staying with Adobe would be preferable - but I've heard rumours they're
going to start charging fees.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the
post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit.

Thanks - that might be the one that was mentioned.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit.

I use foxit too. No problems
version 5.1
FoxitReader514.0104_enu_Setup.exe

I looked at the newer version, but was turned off, but don't
remember why. May have been additional crap they wanted to install.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but
the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit. google for "pdf reader" to find it, and lots of others.

Thanks - that may be the one that was mentioned.

In the past, I've found some dodgy things by doing a general "pdf
reader" search.

Staying with Adobe would be preferable - but I've heard rumours they're
going to start charging fees.

NO rumor.
Adobe has been demanding, from what they deemed to be business
customers, "fees" on a yearly or monthly basis depending on subscription
level chosen.
They get away with it via their "update" that replaces an old
reliable freebie with a new freebie that demands a subscription else it
will die.
This has been going on for at least 3 months now.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

The W10 upgrade seems to include a PDF reader in the browser, but it is not
in any way satisfactory.

Usually I download stuff on the W10 machine, its reader is just about good
enough to see whether the document is worth moving to my XP box for further
study.

Maybe I'll just put up with that, but sounds like if I need something
better - Adobe is worth giving a miss.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the
post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit.

I use foxit too. No problems
version 5.1
FoxitReader514.0104_enu_Setup.exe

I looked at the newer version, but was turned off, but don't
remember why. May have been additional crap they wanted to install.

Copying that into the search bar - the first site I clicked, triggered a
reported unsafe warning.

Downloaded from Tucows, the file I got is about 14Mb - is that the full
redistributable install file?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-29, Ian Field wrote:

Copying that into the search bar - the first site I clicked, triggered a
reported unsafe warning.

Downloaded from Tucows, the file I got is about 14Mb - is that the full
redistributable install file?

possibly you clicked a "Download now" advertisement and not the actual
file link.

--
\_(ツ)_

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but
the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit.

I use foxit too. No problems
version 5.1
FoxitReader514.0104_enu_Setup.exe

I looked at the newer version, but was turned off, but don't
remember why. May have been additional crap they wanted to install.

Copying that into the search bar - the first site I clicked, triggered a
reported unsafe warning.

Downloaded from Tucows, the file I got is about 14Mb - is that the full
redistributable install file?

AFAIK everything now is an "installer" no matter the verbage "full".

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-29, Ian wrote:

Copying that into the search bar - the first site I clicked, triggered a
reported unsafe warning.

Downloaded from Tucows, the file I got is about 14Mb - is that the full
redistributable install file?

possibly you clicked a "Download now" advertisement and not the actual
file link.

Those F-ing links seem to be all over most software sites, seemly
dozens on the web page, with the true link almost impossible to find.
And there is no way to get that (being VERY polite) **** to stop.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but
the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit.

I use foxit too. No problems
version 5.1
FoxitReader514.0104_enu_Setup.exe

I looked at the newer version, but was turned off, but don't
remember why. May have been additional crap they wanted to install.

Copying that into the search bar - the first site I clicked, triggered a
reported unsafe warning.

Downloaded from Tucows, the file I got is about 14Mb - is that the full
redistributable install file?

AFAIK everything now is an "installer" no matter the verbage "full".

The reason I ask is; I may take it over to my XP box which has no internet
access.

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable CD
with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but
the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit.

I use foxit too. No problems
version 5.1
FoxitReader514.0104_enu_Setup.exe

I looked at the newer version, but was turned off, but don't remember
why. May have been additional crap they wanted to install.

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable
CD with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

Lots of the boot disks on the web have the ability. This one is
dedicated: Darik's boot and nuke
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but
the post
expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

I use Foxit.

I use foxit too. No problems
version 5.1
FoxitReader514.0104_enu_Setup.exe

I looked at the newer version, but was turned off, but don't remember
why. May have been additional crap they wanted to install.

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable
CD with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

Lots of the boot disks on the web have the ability. This one is
dedicated: Darik's boot and nuke

The page I found offered a demo or a paid for version.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-29, Ian wrote:

Copying that into the search bar - the first site I clicked, triggered a
reported unsafe warning.

Downloaded from Tucows, the file I got is about 14Mb - is that the full
redistributable install file?

possibly you clicked a "Download now" advertisement and not the actual
file link.

Those F-ing links seem to be all over most software sites, seemly
dozens on the web page, with the true link almost impossible to find.
And there is no way to get that (being VERY polite) **** to stop.

linux has distros where full of curated free software, yeah this is
trading a little freedom for convenience. but there's nothing
stopping me from installing third-party stuff if I really want to.

--
\_(ツ)_
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian Field wrote:

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable CD
with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

A guy at work swars by "dban" same dude also thinks spinrite is a good thing to
run on failing media, so take that with a grain of salt.

Personally I find the debian installer has enough (for non-paranoid
erasure), either by switching to the command-line or by selecting the
"overwrite" option during partitioning.

--
\_(ツ)_
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian Field wrote:

Lots of the boot disks on the web have the ability. This one is
dedicated: Darik's boot and nuke

The page I found offered a demo or a paid for version.

No, that's Blancco. the DBAN download link is in the header.

it seems that Darik pays for his domain by advertising
for a competitor...

--
\_(ツ)_
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian Field wrote:

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable
CD
with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

A guy at work swars by "dban" same dude also thinks spinrite is a good
thing to
run on failing media, so take that with a grain of salt.

ATM: I'm not trying to sort out flaky media - and I have Spintite 6 for when
I do.

It works well most of the time, but gets tangled up on 1Tb or bigger.

It also gave a clean bill of health to a Samsung 500Gb drive that had a
habit of misplacing allocation chains.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian Field wrote:

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable
CD
with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

A guy at work swars by "dban" same dude also thinks spinrite is a good
thing to
run on failing media, so take that with a grain of salt.

ATM: I'm not trying to sort out flaky media - and I have Spintite 6 for when
I do.

It works well most of the time, but gets tangled up on 1Tb or bigger.

It also gave a clean bill of health to a Samsung 500Gb drive that had a
habit of misplacing allocation chains.

If the media's dying spinrite will just wear it out.
a better plan is to use with one of the programs
called ddrescue to copy everything onto stable media.

--
\_(ツ)_

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 10/27/2015 5:12 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the
post expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

Foxit.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Get Parted Magic 2013_05-07 which AFAIK is the most recent one NOT
locked by mandatory nagware (and it is hell to modify a CD).
I may have the ISO on my HD...yes, i have 2 copies, one named
pmagic_2013_05_07.iso 320512KB downloaded/created 5/6/3013 and the other
same name and date, just a different folder.
If you want, i can FTP that and other 2013 versions to a folder on my
Oil 4 Less(R) .ORG website if you ask.
Otherwise i will assume you have found and downloaded it.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian wrote:

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a bootable CD
with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

A guy at work swars by "dban" same dude also thinks spinrite is a good thing to
run on failing media, so take that with a grain of salt.

Personally I find the debian installer has enough (for non-paranoid
erasure), either by switching to the command-line or by selecting the
"overwrite" option during partitioning.

Err... I have found that SpinRite does indeed fix up a failing HD by
recovering "soft" bytes and "soft" sectors.
I was lax on one HD, which became unbootable and parts unreadable,
and was a challenge for SpinRite; it is now bootable and everything i
needed became available afterwords.
I had another HD with similar problems that i had to put in the
freezer for a while to make it readable for SpinRite; is perfectly good
and reliable now.
In fact,it is good to use SpinRite on a regular basis to keep a HD in
good shape.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian Field wrote:

[...]

I wanted to find out if that Samsung was stable media - Spinrite said it
was, despite the fact that it wasn't.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2015-10-30, Ian wrote:

While on the subject of software - I'm looking for an ISO for a
bootable CD with HDD wipe utilities.

So far my searches have only found demos and paid versions.

A guy at work swars by "dban" same dude also thinks spinrite is a
good thing to run on failing media, so take that with a grain of
salt.

ATM: I'm not trying to sort out flaky media - and I have Spintite 6
for when I do.

It works well most of the time, but gets tangled up on 1Tb or
bigger.

It also gave a clean bill of health to a Samsung 500Gb drive that
had a habit of misplacing allocation chains.

If the media's dying spinrite will just wear it out. a better plan is
to use with one of the programs called ddrescue to copy everything
onto stable media.

Horse manure.
There is no wear on the media - there is NO CONTACT.
If bytes are hard to read, multiple reads with track re-positioning
and heuristic recovery would beat whatever "ddrescue" may do.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 10/27/2015 5:12 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the
post expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

Foxit.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

What bugs me is that Foxit insists on getting some kind of "addon" at
times, and then cannot find the website.
2 cases so far..1) want to type in (fill out) something; 2) want to
do digital signature.
Does that useless query at first character case 1.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

One or more uploaded at http://www.oil4lessllc.org/ISO/; full size
about 310Mbytes; taking forever. Ignore shorties about 7Mbytes, the
transfer died early so i will have to retry later.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Took a number of hours.
See http://www.oil4lessllc.org/ISO/ .

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Robert Baer wrote:
What bugs me is that Foxit insists on getting some kind of "addon"
at times, and then cannot find the website.
2 cases so far..1) want to type in (fill out) something; 2) want to
do digital signature.
Does that useless query at first character case 1.

I never get that because I stick with v2.3. It doesn't seem to have any
relevant limitations.

Maybe oldversion.com has it.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Robert Baer wrote:
What bugs me is that Foxit insists on getting some kind of "addon"
at times, and then cannot find the website.
2 cases so far..1) want to type in (fill out) something; 2) want to
do digital signature.
Does that useless query at first character case 1.

I never get that because I stick with v2.3. It doesn't seem to have any
relevant limitations.

Maybe oldversion.com has it.

They do. Hope their note that version is Win2K compatible; they have
a habit of telling lies WRT compatibility.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the
post expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

On Linux, at least, there's evince. It seems to now handle all flavors of
documents, and is faster than Adobe's reader.

Jon
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 15:15:36 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ian Field wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the
post expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

On Linux, at least, there's evince. It seems to now handle all flavors of
documents, and is faster than Adobe's reader.

Jon

I have the professional level Foxit PhantomPDF, but I believe there's
a free Foxit reader.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Ian Field wrote:

Someone mentioned a free alternative to Acrobat on this group, but the
post expired before I took notes.

Could someone remind me please?

Thanks.

On Linux, at least, there's evince. It seems to now handle all flavors of
documents, and is faster than Adobe's reader.

Jon

I've been surprised, recently, how Ghostview still manages to tackle
PDFs that choke the free readers of the bigger Acrobat and Foxit
players.

Sometimes just determining that a document's contents is crap, is good
enough to save further time or effort. There's an awful lot of it
floating around.

An old Acrobat 4 install (on W98, W2K or XP) seems to ignore some
forms of password protection, after an upgrade in another OS suddenly
applied protection to docs that had been in unrestricted use for a
decade or more.

RL

Newsgroup reader gregz Home Repair 3 March 10th 13 05:14 AM
Hi all…. ebook reader Rosis Electronics Repair 0 July 7th 09 07:10 AM
introducing new reader here tom koehler Woodturning 22 November 3rd 08 05:42 PM
news reader for Mac [email protected] Woodworking 9 April 5th 07 07:49 PM
new reader john s Woodworking 3 March 29th 05 01:26 AM