Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Default Voltage-Variable Phase Shifter

Anyone have ideas regarding how to implement a voltage-variable phase
shifter useable at 210MHz?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson
Wrote in message:
Anyone have ideas regarding how to implement a voltage-variable phase
shifter useable at 210MHz?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |

Do you remember the MXR Phase 90? It was a guitar effects pedal
that used a chain of op amp all-pass filters:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-pass_filter

as a phase shift network and a JFET as a voltage variable
resistance in parallel with the resistor to ground to vary the
phase.

Could one build something similar just for a higher frequency,
maybe? 500 MHz GBW op amps are not terribly expensive these days;
use PHEMTs as the variable resistance elements?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 13:17:32 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Anyone have ideas regarding how to implement a voltage-variable phase
shifter useable at 210MHz?

...Jim Thompson

Do you want to buy it as a part, or build it into one of your IC
designs? How much phase shift do you need?

There are tons of analog IQ modulator chips around, some with a
built-in 90 degree phase shifter. They can do full the 360 degrees if
you apply sin/cos multiplier inputs.

Small phase shifts can be done with a varicap RC or LC network. Or an
RC or LC shifter and a multiplier or two.

Extreme: an inductor-varicap variable-delay transmission line. The
HP8133A had several, insanely long ones.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 1/13/2015 3:17 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone have ideas regarding how to implement a voltage-variable phase
shifter useable at 210MHz?

...Jim Thompson

I've used a variation of the normal op amp all-pass filter for this,
except with a high frequency diff amp:

*---------------*
| |
0-----*-----RRRR-------*----| |
| | | |
| R | Diff amp |
| Gain of 0.5 R | |
| R | *-----Out
| | | |
| | | |
| GND | |
| | |
*-----RRRR--*----*----| |
| | | |
| | *---------------*
L |
L |
L |
L --- Varactor
| ^
| |
| *---RRRR----0 V_phi |
| |
| CCC
| CCC big C
| |
GND GND

You pick the voltage divider to have a gain of 0.5; the series L
resonates the varactor just past the low-voltage end of V_phi;
and the shunt inductor resonates the series combination just past the
high end of V_phi. You can get about 150 degrees in one stage, with
linearity of +- a few degrees. Good medicine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 14/01/2015 7:17 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone have ideas regarding how to implement a voltage-variable phase
shifter useable at 210MHz?

Pair of AD834 multipliers adding complementary (sine and cosine)
variable proportions of in-phase and a quadrature signals?

http://www.analog.com/static/importe...eets/AD834.pdf

http://www.analog.com/static/importe...tes/AN-212.pdf

If Analog Devices has been able to make the AD834 since the late 1980's,
Jim should be able to put together something fairly quickly.

Getting the in-phase and quadrature components may not be trivial if the
frequency range involved isn't just 210 MHz, but "The Art of
Electronics" talks about wide-band quadrature networks (originally
developed for single-side-band radio) which can cover a respectable
range of frequencies.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 14/01/2015 07:17, Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone have ideas regarding how to implement a voltage-variable phase
shifter useable at 210MHz?

...Jim Thompson

It would be helpful if you indicated whether your input signal was a
constant sinusoid, square wave or some arbitrary signal (in which case
it would also be helpful if you indicated the signal bandwidth, as this
makes a difference). It would also be useful to know whether the phase
shift should be proportional to the voltage, or the time delay through
the circuit should be proportional to the voltage, or whatever the
control function should be. Also the linearity of the control input
would be an important spec. as well as any requirement on the phase
noise introduced (e.g. if there is noise added to the phase control signal).

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 19:18:37 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 1/13/2015 3:17 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone have ideas regarding how to implement a voltage-variable phase
shifter useable at 210MHz?

...Jim Thompson

I've used a variation of the normal op amp all-pass filter for this,
except with a high frequency diff amp:

*---------------*
| |
0-----*-----RRRR-------*----| |
| | | |
| R | Diff amp |
| Gain of 0.5 R | |
| R | *-----Out
| | | |
| | | |
| GND | |
| | |
*-----RRRR--*----*----| |
| | | |
| | *---------------*
L |
L |
L |
L --- Varactor
| ^
| |
| *---RRRR----0 V_phi |
| |
| CCC
| CCC big C
| |
GND GND

You pick the voltage divider to have a gain of 0.5; the series L
resonates the varactor just past the low-voltage end of V_phi;
and the shunt inductor resonates the series combination just past the
high end of V_phi. You can get about 150 degrees in one stage, with
linearity of +- a few degrees. Good medicine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

That's what the customer is currently using except for a capacitance
multiplier made with an AD834(?)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have ideas regarding how to implement a voltage-variable phase
shifter useable at 210MHz?

...Jim Thompson

Do you want to buy it as a part, or build it into one of your IC
designs? How much phase shift do you need?

There are tons of analog IQ modulator chips around, some with a
built-in 90 degree phase shifter. They can do full the 360 degrees if
you apply sin/cos multiplier inputs.

Crikey! Why didn't I think of that... marvelous! Thanks for the
pointer!

Small phase shifts can be done with a varicap RC or LC network. Or an
RC or LC shifter and a multiplier or two.

Extreme: an inductor-varicap variable-delay transmission line. The
HP8133A had several, insanely long ones.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On 1/13/2015 3:17 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone have ideas regarding how to implement a voltage-variable phase
shifter useable at 210MHz?

...Jim Thompson

I've used a variation of the normal op amp all-pass filter for this,
except with a high frequency diff amp:

*---------------*
| |
0-----*-----RRRR-------*----| |
| | | |
| R | Diff amp |
| Gain of 0.5 R | |
| R | *-----Out
| | | |
| | | |
| GND | |
| | |
*-----RRRR--*----*----| |
| | | |
| | *---------------*
L |
L |
L |
L --- Varactor
| ^
| |
| *---RRRR----0 V_phi |
| |
| CCC
| CCC big C
| |
GND GND

You pick the voltage divider to have a gain of 0.5; the series L
resonates the varactor just past the low-voltage end of V_phi;
and the shunt inductor resonates the series combination just past the
high end of V_phi. You can get about 150 degrees in one stage, with
linearity of +- a few degrees. Good medicine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

That's what the customer is currently using except for a capacitance
multiplier made with an AD834(?)

...Jim Thompson

For small phase shifts, you could bias a jfet or something, with a d-g
feedback cap, and vary Vgs (ie, transconductance) to change the phase
shift. Dirt cheap. An inductor somewhere might be interesting.

People used to make FM modulators like that, with toobs. Pre-emphasis
made phase shift into frequency shift. Reactance tube modulator,
something like that.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On 1/13/2015 3:17 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone have ideas regarding how to implement a voltage-variable phase
shifter useable at 210MHz?

...Jim Thompson

I've used a variation of the normal op amp all-pass filter for this,
except with a high frequency diff amp:

*---------------*
| |
0-----*-----RRRR-------*----| |
| | | |
| R | Diff amp |
| Gain of 0.5 R | |
| R | *-----Out
| | | |
| | | |
| GND | |
| | |
*-----RRRR--*----*----| |
| | | |
| | *---------------*
L |
L |
L |
L --- Varactor
| ^
| |
| *---RRRR----0 V_phi |
| |
| CCC
| CCC big C
| |
[...]

My go-to toob book, "Electron Tube Circuits", by Samuel Seeley,
second edition 1958
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On 1/13/2015 3:17 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone have ideas regarding how to implement a voltage-variable phase
shifter useable at 210MHz?

...Jim Thompson

I've used a variation of the normal op amp all-pass filter for this,
except with a high frequency diff amp:

*---------------*
| |
0-----*-----RRRR-------*----| |
| | | |
| R | Diff amp |
| Gain of 0.5 R | |
| R | *-----Out
| | | |
| | | |
| GND | |
| | |
*-----RRRR--*----*----| |
| | | |
| | *---------------*
L |
L |
L |
L --- Varactor
| ^
| |
| *---RRRR----0 V_phi |
| |
| CCC
| CCC big C
| |
[...]

second edition 1958, has a section on reactance tube
modulators:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yojzh3ztmp...24122.jpg?dl=0

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On 1/13/2015 3:17 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone have ideas regarding how to implement a voltage-variable phase
shifter useable at 210MHz?

...Jim Thompson

I've used a variation of the normal op amp all-pass filter for this,
except with a high frequency diff amp:

*---------------*
| |
0-----*-----RRRR-------*----| |
| | | |
| R | Diff amp |
| Gain of 0.5 R | |
| R | *-----Out
| | | |
| | | |
| GND | |
| | |
*-----RRRR--*----*----| |
| | | |
| | *---------------*
L |
L |
L |
L --- Varactor
| ^
| |
| *---RRRR----0 V_phi |
| |
| CCC
| CCC big C
| |
[...]

Sorry, something weird going on with my Android newsgroup reader.
Anyway, I was going to say that the book has a section on