Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Default Telephone question

Anyone have a clever solution to this problem...

I have a one-line telephone, but two telephone lines in the house.

Is there some way, perhaps with relays to recognize which line is
ringing and have the one-line phone connected to the ringing line?

(It's a honey-do problem... you know... "pretty phone, don't throw it
away" :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Anyone have a clever solution to this problem...

I have a one-line telephone, but two telephone lines in the house.

Is there some way, perhaps with relays to recognize which line is
ringing and have the one-line phone connected to the ringing line?

(It's a honey-do problem... you know... "pretty phone, don't throw it
away" :-)

Radio Shack used to sell such a device. IIRC it's basically a
latching relay with the coil(s) activated by the ringing current.

Dunno if they or anyone else still markets something like this... I
bought ours back in the late 1980s.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:06:57 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson
wrote:

Anyone have a clever solution to this problem...

I have a one-line telephone, but two telephone lines in the house.

Is there some way, perhaps with relays to recognize which line is
ringing and have the one-line phone connected to the ringing line?

(It's a honey-do problem... you know... "pretty phone, don't throw it
away" :-)

...Jim Thompson

Search for "2-line switch".

These guys in Taiwan have one that looks to meet your request, and
apparently they'll ship.

http://www.mycomsolutions.com/ax520/ax520.htm

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have a clever solution to this problem...

I have a one-line telephone, but two telephone lines in the house.

Is there some way, perhaps with relays to recognize which line is
ringing and have the one-line phone connected to the ringing line?

(It's a honey-do problem... you know... "pretty phone, don't throw it
away" :-)

...Jim Thompson

Search for "2-line switch".

These guys in Taiwan have one that looks to meet your request, and
apparently they'll ship.

http://www.mycomsolutions.com/ax520/ax520.htm

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks, Spehro, Looks perfect!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:06:57 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Anyone have a clever solution to this problem...

I have a one-line telephone, but two telephone lines in the house.

Is there some way, perhaps with relays to recognize which line is
ringing and have the one-line phone connected to the ringing line?

(It's a honey-do problem... you know... "pretty phone, don't throw it
away" :-)

...Jim Thompson

The ring signal is a strong (I think the specification is 96V p-p) 20Hz
AC signal on top of the 48V DC to the phone. It's got enough oomph
behind it to ring real, physical bells in several phones at once (or in
my case, one honkin' big bell that can be heard all over my 5 acres when
the shop door is open).

When you pick up the phone, about 48V/1200ohms flows through the phone,
providing power to the phone and a signal to the central office that the
phone is picked up.

Surely you can figure it out from there?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services