Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default .STEP FIle ??

Got a request for quoting IBIS model creation, and the potential
client sent his data in .STEP file format.

I have no clue what that is.

I've made IBIS models from PWL files (which I suspect .STEP might be a
form of) and, of course, Spice files.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 16:19:48 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Got a request for quoting IBIS model creation, and the potential
client sent his data in .STEP file format.

I have no clue what that is.

I've made IBIS models from PWL files (which I suspect .STEP might be a
form of) and, of course, Spice files.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

STEP is usually a 3D solid-model mechanical file. It's ASCII and
typically huge. Things like SolidWorks can open STEP files.

It would be very weird for anything electrical to be expresssed in a
STEP file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_file

(unless someone reused the filename extension)

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In article , To-Email-Use-
says...

Got a request for quoting IBIS model creation, and the potential
client sent his data in .STEP file format.

I have no clue what that is.

I've made IBIS models from PWL files (which I suspect .STEP might be a
form of) and, of course, Spice files.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

http://www.ida-step.net/components/viewers/basic

There is a free app at the bottom you can down load to view
those files. you Also need to install the component they are
harping about..

read to the end..

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Got a request for quoting IBIS model creation, and the potential
client sent his data in .STEP file format.

I have no clue what that is.

I've made IBIS models from PWL files (which I suspect .STEP might be a
form of) and, of course, Spice files.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

STEP is usually a 3D solid-model mechanical file. It's ASCII and
typically huge. Things like SolidWorks can open STEP files.

It would be very weird for anything electrical to be expresssed in a
STEP file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_file

(unless someone reused the filename extension)

Yep. Methinks customer expects that an electrical model can be made
from a mechanical drawing.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Got a request for quoting IBIS model creation, and the potential
client sent his data in .STEP file format.

I have no clue what that is.

I've made IBIS models from PWL files (which I suspect .STEP might be a
form of) and, of course, Spice files.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

STEP is usually a 3D solid-model mechanical file. It's ASCII and
typically huge. Things like SolidWorks can open STEP files.

It would be very weird for anything electrical to be expresssed in a
STEP file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_file

(unless someone reused the filename extension)

Yep. Methinks customer expects that an electrical model can be made
from a mechanical drawing.

...Jim Thompson

STEP is usually mechanical, but the file format is sufficiently
abstract that it might be used for other things. I've never seen it
used for anything but 3D mechanical models.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Got a request for quoting IBIS model creation, and the potential
client sent his data in .STEP file format.

I have no clue what that is.

I've made IBIS models from PWL files (which I suspect .STEP might be a
form of) and, of course, Spice files.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

Yep, thats a CAD interchange format.
Maybe the schematic was drawn in a 3d cad package.

CHeers
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Got a request for quoting IBIS model creation, and the potential
client sent his data in .STEP file format.

I have no clue what that is.

I've made IBIS models from PWL files (which I suspect .STEP might be a
form of) and, of course, Spice files.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

Yep, thats a CAD interchange format.
Maybe the schematic was drawn in a 3d cad package.

CHeers

Stranger things have happened, like using Autocad to lay out PC
boards.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 16:19:48 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson
wrote:

Got a request for quoting IBIS model creation, and the potential
client sent his data in .STEP file format.

I have no clue what that is.

I've made IBIS models from PWL files (which I suspect .STEP might be a
form of) and, of course, Spice files.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

Here's the standard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_10303

Here's what part of the header of a STEP file I made recently in
SolidWorks looks like:

ISO-10303-21;
HEADER;
FILE_DESCRIPTION (( 'STEP AP214' ),
'1' );
FILE_NAME ('LTST_C230_Lite_On_Reverse_Mount_LED_Blue.STEP',
'2014-02-26T05:13:30',
( '' ),
( '' ),
'SwSTEP 2.0',

(and another 230K of stuff)

It is a 3D color solid model of an LED package. Unfortunately, it does
not seem to preserve transparency.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

That's useful, an opaque LED.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

It's just a model to see what the PCB will look like and to make sure
there are no collisions with the case features. But you knew that.

The real LEDs are water clear, but I tinted them the color of the
emitted light.

http://www.speff.com/LED.JPG

Don't know why they put the die off-center. I guess it doesn't much
matter if there is no lens.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:
Got a request for quoting IBIS model creation, and the potential
client sent his data in .STEP file format.

A list of programs that can view it.

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/step

--

Reply in group, but if emailing, add a zero and remove the last word.