Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default Connector Question

Connector Question, What is this type of connector called, and where
do you get it...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/ConnectorQuestion.jpg

(in a ceiling fan)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

Connector Question, What is this type of connector called, and where
do you get it...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/ConnectorQuestion.jpg

(in a ceiling fan)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Those are hoojangers, sometimes called doohickeys.

They're in the hell box. ;-)

Lord Valve
Jiveass

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 09:51:05 -0700, Lord Valve
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Connector Question, What is this type of connector called, and where
do you get it...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/ConnectorQuestion.jpg

(in a ceiling fan)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Those are hoojangers, sometimes called doohickeys.

They're in the hell box. ;-)

Lord Valve
Jiveass

:-D

What I'm trying to do is cut lamps lose from the remote, so that the
lamps turn on and off via a wall switch.

Poking around in the guts I find a "DawnSun Power Limiter", which
might seem to be a dimmer (*). Anyone know about such things?

(*) Which seems sort of dumb... lamp is Halogen, and my understanding
is Halogen's when dimmed, suffer lifetime ??

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

You know - after taking another look, those sure do
remind me of one-pin Molex connectors. You don't
see 'em on modern stuff, but old SS guitar amps
are full of the damn things, especially Peaveys.

http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/003061011_sd.pdf

Ya think?

LV

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

They twist lock, but I don't need to find them anymore, I found
this...

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/building...iance_stds.pdf

The government sticks it nose up my ass... again :-(

I'll just cut it out, up-top, and add a separate feed wire from the
ceiling.

Problem solved.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 08:51:47 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Connector Question, What is this type of connector called, and where
do you get it...
http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/ConnectorQuestion.jpg
(in a ceiling fan)

...Jim Thompson

Those are the connectors usually used to power the light bulb at the
center of the ceiling fan. There's a lousy photo of the connectors
at:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2addafan#.UxIUSc4bC_8 (top photo)
The idea is to prevent you from doing a creative wiring job and
installing something like a wall outlet, oversized light fixture,
heater, or whatever else you're planning to hang from the fan.

I just happen to have a ceiling fan in a box handy. These are the
mating connectors:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/ceiling-fan-connector.jpg

No clue who made the connectors or where to buy them. You can
probably obtain the matching light figure, with connectors, from the
unspecified fan manufacturer for an outrageous price. You can also
cut off the connectors and use a crimp splice or insulated blade
connectors.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Hire an electrician. Anything much past 3.3 volts, you're a danger to the public
and yourself.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

You know - after taking another look, those sure do
remind me of one-pin Molex connectors. You don't
see 'em on modern stuff, but old SS guitar amps
are full of the damn things, especially Peaveys.
http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/003061011_sd.pdf
Ya think?

Nice find. I just compared the dimensions in the drawing with the
lamp base in my photo and found the mating parts to be identical. The
lengths are a little different, which doesn't really matter:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/ceiling-fan-connector.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Connector Question, What is this type of connector called, and where
do you get it...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/ConnectorQuestion.jpg

(in a ceiling fan)

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Those are hoojangers, sometimes called doohickeys.

They're in the hell box. ;-)

Lord Valve
Jiveass

:-D

What I'm trying to do is cut lamps lose from the remote, so that the
lamps turn on and off via a wall switch.

Poking around in the guts I find a "DawnSun Power Limiter", which
might seem to be a dimmer (*). Anyone know about such things?

(*) Which seems sort of dumb... lamp is Halogen, and my understanding
is Halogen's when dimmed, suffer lifetime ??

...Jim Thompson

Hire an electrician. Anything much past 3.3 volts, you're a danger to the public
and yourself.

PALwHUB :-(

BTW, My father was an electrician _before_ he got into the Radio & TV,
hardware store and apartment houses businesses... and I used to
function as his assistant on weekends when I was a kid :-}

Isn't it time you grew up?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Grow up? And spend my declining years at home, fixing broken wine racks and
rusty outdoor grilles? No thanks.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

You don't pay a lot of attention do you? Perhaps a reading
comprehension problem? I'm hardly "declining", I'm now experienced in
the use of Cadence Virtuoso Tools.

And the wine rack wasn't broken... I built up one, stained it to match
the butler pantry cabinets and installed it.

And the grille, double-dumbass, is stainless.

Isn't it time you grew up?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

In article ,
Jim Thompson

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Those power limiters prevent you from using a higher wattage lamp. I
guess they're cheaper than designing an enclosure that won't catch fire.
My house came with one and it's pretty accurate about what lamp it will
allow.

I recommend the current generation of LED lamps. No flicker, no delay,
good color balance, no burnouts from on/off cycles, and they're
extremely efficient with dimmers. Since they're so efficient, they
don't trip those power limiters either.

(Dimming halogen is harmless. The halogen doesn't work at low
temperatures but then the filament isn't evaporating at low temperatures
either. What you can't do is alter a halogen bulb's enclosure. The bad
part about dimming halogen bulbs is that the efficiency is especially
awful.)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 11:42:16 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

We're in a new house... came with those gawd-awful CFL's everywhere.

I'm gradually replacing everything with LED's.

The "broken" wine glass rack O:-) area originally had a CFL that stuck
down too far for me to properly place the glass rack, so I found some
flat profile LED's that produce twice as many Lumens, and you can't
even tell they are there... though they make the glassware just GLOW
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Connector Question, What is this type of connector called, and where
do you get it...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/ConnectorQuestion.jpg

(in a ceiling fan)

...Jim Thompson

Managed to cut out the power limiter, and do all rewiring top-side, so
no additional connector needed. Presently 100W Halogen, but a ton of
working room... I can probably fit the LED equivalent of light output
quite easily.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In sci.electronics.basics Jim Thompson wrote:
Connector Question, What is this type of connector called, and where
do you get it...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/ConnectorQuestion.jpg

(in a ceiling fan)

They look like some sort of automotive connector, although that's probably
wrong.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message

Connector Question, What is this type of connector called, and where
do you get it...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/ConnectorQuestion.jpg

(in a ceiling fan)

...Jim Thompson

Jim,

Indeed that was a single pin Molex, female. The black box marked Power
Limiter, is probable a "wattage limiter", required since 2009 by the DOE to
prevent ceiling fan lighting to exceed 190Watts. It originally was a method
to limit the wattage on multi-socket lights in which the consumer could use
higher wattage bulbs. Now we see them in single lamp halogen fixtures too.

If either the connectors or the limiter gives trouble, they can be removed.

Scott
Dunedin, FL

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 15:16:03 -0500, "ScottWW"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
.. .

Connector Question, What is this type of connector called, and where
do you get it...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/ConnectorQuestion.jpg

(in a ceiling fan)

...Jim Thompson

Jim,

Indeed that was a single pin Molex, female. The black box marked Power
Limiter, is probable a "wattage limiter", required since 2009 by the DOE to
prevent ceiling fan lighting to exceed 190Watts. It originally was a method
to limit the wattage on multi-socket lights in which the consumer could use
higher wattage bulbs. Now we see them in single lamp halogen fixtures too.

If either the connectors or the limiter gives trouble, they can be removed.

Scott
Dunedin, FL

Already done ;-)

...Jim Thompson