Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default Some of my design work in action...

Some of my design work in action...

http://tinyurl.com/mra4o2j

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 1/23/2014 10:23 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Some of my design work in action...

http://tinyurl.com/mra4o2j

...Jim Thompson

You build lighting for bus stop shelters? :-)
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:33:11 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 1/23/2014 10:23 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Some of my design work in action...

http://tinyurl.com/mra4o2j

...Jim Thompson

You build lighting for bus stop shelters? :-)
Mikek

The LED drivers in the billboard.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

amdx wrote in :

On 1/23/2014 10:23 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Some of my design work in action...

http://tinyurl.com/mra4o2j

...Jim Thompson

You build lighting for bus stop shelters? :-)
Mikek

And British are using it?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 1/23/14 8:47 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:33:11 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 1/23/2014 10:23 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Some of my design work in action...

http://tinyurl.com/mra4o2j

...Jim Thompson

You build lighting for bus stop shelters? :-)
Mikek

The LED drivers in the billboard.

...Jim Thompson

What kind of power does that thing draw?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 09:04:04 -0800, Daniel Pitts
wrote:

On 1/23/14 8:47 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:33:11 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 1/23/2014 10:23 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Some of my design work in action...

http://tinyurl.com/mra4o2j

...Jim Thompson

You build lighting for bus stop shelters? :-)
Mikek

The LED drivers in the billboard.

...Jim Thompson

What kind of power does that thing draw?

I don't know the exact numbers, but it is in the multi-KW range. But
it's "efficient" with switchers regulated to supply just the exact
amount of forward drop required by each LED grouping.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 1/23/2014 11:23 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Some of my design work in action...

http://tinyurl.com/mra4o2j

...Jim Thompson

Wow, I knew you predated them, but I never knew you actually _invented_
bricks. Awesome!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 13:06:07 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 1/23/2014 11:23 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Some of my design work in action...

http://tinyurl.com/mra4o2j

...Jim Thompson

Wow, I knew you predated them, but I never knew you actually _invented_
bricks. Awesome!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 1/23/14 9:23 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 09:04:04 -0800, Daniel Pitts
What kind of power does that thing draw?

I don't know the exact numbers, but it is in the multi-KW range. But
it's "efficient" with switchers regulated to supply just the exact
amount of forward drop required by each LED grouping.

...Jim Thompson

Do you also have a constant current in the design, or do you just supply
"exactly the right voltage"?

I was actually thinking about this, is there such a thing as a switching
constant-current source, rather than a switching voltage source?
Wouldn't that be pretty efficient?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:20:32 -0800, Daniel Pitts
wrote:

On 1/23/14 9:23 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 09:04:04 -0800, Daniel Pitts
What kind of power does that thing draw?

I don't know the exact numbers, but it is in the multi-KW range. But
it's "efficient" with switchers regulated to supply just the exact
amount of forward drop required by each LED grouping.

...Jim Thompson

Do you also have a constant current in the design, or do you just supply
"exactly the right voltage"?

Controlled currents via video. "Exactly the right voltage" is in the
patent application process, so I can't comment.

I was actually thinking about this, is there such a thing as a switching
constant-current source, rather than a switching voltage source?
Wouldn't that be pretty efficient?

The trick is the get the voltage at the tops of the LED's to be
_exactly_just_enough_ that the (switching) mirrors don't run out of
head-room.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Daniel Pitts wrote:

I was actually thinking about this, is there such a thing as a switching
constant-current source, rather than a switching voltage source?
Wouldn't that be pretty efficient?

Sure, there is a whole raft of chips made specifically as constant
current switching supplies for LED lighting.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 1/23/2014 10:23 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Some of my design work in action...

http://tinyurl.com/mra4o2j

...Jim Thompson

Only some? The rest of them do not?