Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default High Side Driver

High Side Driver...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/HighSideDriver.pdf

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Sure, if you like flappy gates.

Also, who would buy an inductor when three BJTs does as well?

I did the inductor thing years ago, must've been like 2008ish. Plus a
transformer:
http://seventransistorlabs.com/Image...off_Driver.png
But I'd much rather spend a few cents and as many watts with a CCS turnoff
than a few bucks inductor. Better still, just use H bridge drive (TL598).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
High Side Driver...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/HighSideDriver.pdf

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 14:55:39 -0600, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

Sure, if you like flappy gates.

Also, who would buy an inductor when three BJTs does as well?

I did the inductor thing years ago, must've been like 2008ish. Plus a
transformer:
http://seventransistorlabs.com/Image...off_Driver.png
But I'd much rather spend a few cents and as many watts with a CCS turnoff
than a few bucks inductor. Better still, just use H bridge drive (TL598).

Tim

I guess you didn't observe the load current?

In general I'd guess your attention span is limited :-} The need is
for a high side driver, controlled by a 3.3V logic signal.

And the inductor is ~7 cents in the quantities used by my customer,
and he's very cramped for space.

(In addition, schematic has been munged to hide details... customer
only has +3.8V high-side supply, which must deliver 8 Amps to load
with minimal drop.)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 1/7/2014 10:47 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
High Side Driver...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/HighSideDriver.pdf

...Jim Thompson

I have a problem with Jim's pages, the lines are to thin to see,
I suspect my reader, and will try adobe. How do I pull up associations?
I've done it a dozen times but can't figure it out now.
The reader I use is Foxit (I think, I find no identifying info)
Thanks, Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 15:10:46 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 1/7/2014 10:47 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
High Side Driver...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/HighSideDriver.pdf

...Jim Thompson

I have a problem with Jim's pages, the lines are to thin to see,
I suspect my reader, and will try adobe. How do I pull up associations?
I've done it a dozen times but can't figure it out now.
The reader I use is Foxit (I think, I find no identifying info)
Thanks, Mikek

The free Adobe X Reader seems to work just fine.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

amdx wrote:

On 1/7/2014 10:47 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
High Side Driver...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/HighSideDriver.pdf

...Jim Thompson

I have a problem with Jim's pages, the lines are to thin to see,
I suspect my reader, and will try adobe. How do I pull up associations?
I've done it a dozen times but can't figure it out now.
The reader I use is Foxit (I think, I find no identifying info)

Right click on the file and choose: 'Open With', then select 'Choose
Program'. It will tell you what the default program is, and let you
change it.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

How clever of you, to change the supply voltage to 12, to conceal from us that
the actual voltage is 3.8.

Well done!

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Of course! I have to leave some tidbit for you to whine about.
Otherwise your sycophants will realize you're an idiot, and we can't
have that... at least not quite yet :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

So, how did you calculate the R and L values? I assume you did it twice, once
for 12 volts and once for 3.8.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Think about it JOHN! Fundamentals! Sheeeesh!

I'm sorry! I apologize! You're a victim of your Tulane kindergarten
education. My sincere apologies :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

OK, you can't do it.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

High Side Driver...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/HighSideDriver.pdf

...Jim Thompson

Doesn't the magic smoke come out if there's even a tiny bit of current
leakage draining away the voltage that L1 transferred to MN1's base? Or
if the control signal to MN2 has a bit of a bounce? At least in your
slightly obfuscated circuit, that would leave MN1 pumping out about 2
times its rated wattage.

PSpice needs a "circuit board in the tropics" mode.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

amdx wrote:

On 1/7/2014 10:47 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
High Side Driver...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/HighSideDriver.pdf

...Jim Thompson

I have a problem with Jim's pages, the lines are to thin to see,
I suspect my reader, and will try adobe. How do I pull up associations?
I've done it a dozen times but can't figure it out now.
The reader I use is Foxit (I think, I find no identifying info)

Right click on the file and choose: 'Open With', then select 'Choose
Program'. It will tell you what the default program is, and let you
change it.

Thanks, I had to save it before I could right click.
I looks much better using Adobe than it does Foxit Reader.
Anyone else have a problem seeing the lines...
hmm, now after saving the file and opening it with Foxit,
the schematic looks better with Foxit than Adobe.
Any time I want to view Jim's schematics, I'll save it first.
I think that was the solution.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 22:38:47 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

High Side Driver...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/HighSideDriver.pdf

...Jim Thompson

Doesn't the magic smoke come out if there's even a tiny bit of current
leakage draining away the voltage that L1 transferred to MN1's base? Or
if the control signal to MN2 has a bit of a bounce? At least in your
slightly obfuscated circuit, that would leave MN1 pumping out about 2
times its rated wattage.

PSpice needs a "circuit board in the tropics" mode.

For this application the drive is repetitive at ~2kHz square-wave.
Think of it as a one-cycle boost: When MN2 turns off, 0.5*L*I^2 gets
transferred to 0.5*C*V^2, turning on MN1. When MN2 turns back on, the
L is recharged and the gate of MN1 is discharged.

Except for "tropics" mode ;-) I believe it will hold up for
significantly lower rep-rates.

The link now includes a complete .CIR file suitable to run directly in
LTspice.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 22:38:47 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 09:47:23 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

High Side Driver...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/HighSideDriver.pdf

...Jim Thompson

0.5*L*I^2 = Qg*Vg (Qg = Total Gate Charge, from data sheet, at
gate voltage, Vg)

Not "L = R^2 * C"

"Close to it" (pretty close actually) would be...

0.5*L*I^2 = 0.5*C*V^2

It's all about energy transfer from magnetic storage to capacitive
storage... and boost converters rely on it.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

High Side Driver...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/HighSideDriver.pdf

...Jim Thompson

0.5*L*I^2 = Qg*Vg (Qg = Total Gate Charge, from data sheet, at
gate voltage, Vg)

[neglecting losses in diode and resistor, I'll include that RSN,
otherwise someone will have another hissy fit :]

Not "L = R^2 * C"

"Close to it" (pretty close actually) would be...

0.5*L*I^2 = 0.5*C*V^2

It's all about energy transfer from magnetic storage to capacitive
storage... and boost converters rely on it.

...Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

High Side Driver...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/HighSideDriver.pdf

...Jim Thompson

0.5*L*I^2 = Qg*Vg (Qg = Total Gate Charge, from data sheet, at
gate voltage, Vg)

Not "L = R^2 * C"

"Close to it" (pretty close actually) would be...

0.5*L*I^2 = 0.5*C*V^2

Good grief! Do the algebra!

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 1/8/2014 9:17 AM, amdx wrote:

amdx wrote:

[...]

Thank You! I had the same problem. After reading your
post, I saved it then opened it. Bingo! Now it's
readable.

Ed

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

---
Won't isn't the same as can't.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

He won't because he can't.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default High Side Driver - Interesting Tidbits

It appears the only valid data point for these power MOSFET's is the
"total gate charge", Qg. The capacitances listed are useless for
switch applications... their only value would appear to be if you were
designing an RF amplifier.

But here's the useful part...

Cgeffective = 2*Qg/Vg

This is the effective capacitance you must drive to reach your desired
Vg. (Caution, use the Qg graph, not anything in a table... Qg
increases with Vg.)

Even the schmuck-in-chief should find that useful :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 08:35:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

It appears the only valid data point for these power MOSFET's is the
"total gate charge", Qg. The capacitances listed are useless for
switch applications... their only value would appear to be if you were
designing an RF amplifier.

But here's the useful part...

Cgeffective = 2*Qg/Vg

This is the effective capacitance you must drive to reach your desired
Vg. (Caution, use the Qg graph, not anything in a table... Qg
increases with Vg.)

Even the schmuck-in-chief should find that useful :-}

...Jim Thompson

You said that you calculated the values in the circuit that you posted. Quit
dancing around and show us that calculation.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

It appears the only valid data point for these power MOSFET's is the
"total gate charge", Qg. The capacitances listed are useless for
switch applications... their only value would appear to be if you were
designing an RF amplifier.

But here's the useful part...

Cgeffective = 2*Qg/Vg

This is the effective capacitance you must drive to reach your desired
Vg. (Caution, use the Qg graph, not anything in a table... Qg
increases with Vg.)

Even the schmuck-in-chief should find that useful :-}

...Jim Thompson

You said that you calculated the values in the circuit that you posted. Quit
dancing around and show us that calculation.

Patience is a virtue. Are you not virtuous ?:-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

It appears the only valid data point for these power MOSFET's is the
"total gate charge", Qg. The capacitances listed are useless for
switch applications... their only value would appear to be if you were
designing an RF amplifier.

But here's the useful part...

Cgeffective = 2*Qg/Vg

This is the effective capacitance you must drive to reach your desired
Vg. (Caution, use the Qg graph, not anything in a table... Qg
increases with Vg.)

Even the schmuck-in-chief should find that useful :-}

...Jim Thompson

You said that you calculated the values in the circuit that you posted. Quit
dancing around and show us that calculation.

Patience is a virtue. Are you not virtuous ?:-}

...Jim Thompson

Competence is a virtue too. Are you competent?

I suspect you've never done it, as you claimed you had, and you're still
struggling and stalling.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

It's actually been "done" since around noon, but I've been hanging
paintings and doing other honey-do tasks.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default High Side Driver - Interesting Tidbits - BoostGateDrive_JT_2014_01_12.png

Here 'tis...

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Attached Thumbnails
High Side Driver-boostgatedrive_jt_2014_01_12-png

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Tried to post a PNG here and in A.B.S.E, but it wouldn't take, so go
here....

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/BoostGateDrive_JT_2014_01_12.pdf

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

So, on Jan 7, when you said "it was calculated", you lied. It took you almost a
week to figure it out.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

I didn't lie. I didn't have it all in a compact form, it required
iteration... now it doesn't, see...

Newsgroups:
sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.ele ctronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Subject: High Side Driver - Interesting Tidbits
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 17:58:03 -0700
You really do need to grow up.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 17:58:03 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Tried to post a PNG here and in A.B.S.E, but it wouldn't take, so go
here....

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/BoostGateDrive_JT_2014_01_12.pdf

...Jim Thompson

So, still no evidence that you calculated the values that you claimed to have
calculated.

Because you didn't. And apparently still can't.

You fiddled it in Spice, which was the sensible thing to do. So why lie about
having calculated it? Bizarre.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

You have never shown how you arrived at the values you posted, except to claim a
calculation that you won't reveal.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

It appears the only valid data point for these power MOSFET's is the
"total gate charge", Qg. The capacitances listed are useless for
switch applications... their only value would appear to be if you were
designing an RF amplifier.

But here's the useful part...

Cgeffective = 2*Qg/Vg

This is the effective capacitance you must drive to reach your desired
Vg. (Caution, use the Qg graph, not anything in a table... Qg
increases with Vg.)

Even the schmuck-in-chief should find that useful :-}

...Jim Thompson

Not completely useless. Qg includes Cdg contribution; you'll note that
the initial drain voltage has to be specified, for Qg limits. The
plateau on Qg accumulation occurs at the gate switching threshold.....

RL