Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default ANN: Updated Models & Schematics on My Website

I have updated my Device Models & Subcircuits page. Comments invited.
I welcome suggestions of models you'd like to see created.

With years of benign neglect, I've accumulated more than 600
schematics on my S.E.D/Schematics page. So I'm busy indexing
everything... after two days of work I'm just up to "H" :-(

I'm also coalescing topics, so that sequential improvements, as
discussions of a problem evolved, will be combined and a descriptive
cover added where appropriate. Again, comments welcome.

Where possible, graphics from the OP's problem statement will be
added.

The names of OP's proven to be assholes will be rendered anonymous...
that is their names will be replaced with "some asshole" :-}

http://www.analog-innovations.com/

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Love means never having to say you're sorry.
Statistics means never having to say you're certain.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:31:10 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

August 31...

New updates to my Device Models & Subcircuits page.

New updates to my Simulation Tools & Macros page.

With years of benign neglect, I've accumulated more than 600
schematics on my S.E.D/Schematics page. So I'm busy indexing
everything...

after more work I'm now up to "O" :-]

Comments welcome. Also suggestions about what to add.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

August 31...

New updates to my Device Models & Subcircuits page.

New updates to my Simulation Tools & Macros page.

With years of benign neglect, I've accumulated more than 600
schematics on my S.E.D/Schematics page. So I'm busy indexing
everything...

after more work I'm now up to "O" :-]

Comments welcome. Also suggestions about what to add.

...Jim Thompson

Why not write a book and actually help the next generation (or the one
after that)?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

August 31...

New updates to my Device Models & Subcircuits page.

New updates to my Simulation Tools & Macros page.

With years of benign neglect, I've accumulated more than 600
schematics on my S.E.D/Schematics page. So I'm busy indexing
everything...

after more work I'm now up to "O" :-]

Comments welcome. Also suggestions about what to add.

...Jim Thompson

Why not write a book and actually help the next generation (or the one
after that)?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Perhaps introduce Jim to your publisher?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

August 31...

New updates to my Device Models & Subcircuits page.

New updates to my Simulation Tools & Macros page.

With years of benign neglect, I've accumulated more than 600
schematics on my S.E.D/Schematics page. So I'm busy indexing
everything...

after more work I'm now up to "O" :-]

Comments welcome. Also suggestions about what to add.

...Jim Thompson

Why not write a book and actually help the next generation (or the one
after that)?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Perhaps introduce Jim to your publisher?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

As long as he promises to be polite.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

August 31...

New updates to my Device Models & Subcircuits page.

New updates to my Simulation Tools & Macros page.

With years of benign neglect, I've accumulated more than 600
schematics on my S.E.D/Schematics page. So I'm busy indexing
everything...

after more work I'm now up to "O" :-]

Comments welcome. Also suggestions about what to add.

...Jim Thompson

Why not write a book and actually help the next generation (or the one
after that)?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

That's in the plan.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

August 31...

New updates to my Device Models & Subcircuits page.

New updates to my Simulation Tools & Macros page.

With years of benign neglect, I've accumulated more than 600
schematics on my S.E.D/Schematics page. So I'm busy indexing
everything...

after more work I'm now up to "O" :-]

Comments welcome. Also suggestions about what to add.

...Jim Thompson

Why not write a book and actually help the next generation (or the one
after that)?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Perhaps introduce Jim to your publisher?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

As long as he promises to be polite.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

I'm only impolite with idiots. Ask around. Engineers under 40 thinks
I walk on water. Those over 40 fear I'm after their job... I'm not,
I'm only interested in "fun with circuits" :-]

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

August 31...

New updates to my Device Models & Subcircuits page.

New updates to my Simulation Tools & Macros page.

With years of benign neglect, I've accumulated more than 600
schematics on my S.E.D/Schematics page. So I'm busy indexing
everything...

after more work I'm now up to "O" :-]

Comments welcome. Also suggestions about what to add.

...Jim Thompson

Why not write a book and actually help the next generation (or the one
after that)?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Perhaps introduce Jim to your publisher?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

As long as he promises to be polite.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Your publisher can be rude? ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

August 31...

New updates to my Device Models & Subcircuits page.

New updates to my Simulation Tools & Macros page.

With years of benign neglect, I've accumulated more than 600
schematics on my S.E.D/Schematics page. So I'm busy indexing
everything...

after more work I'm now up to "O" :-]

Comments welcome. Also suggestions about what to add.

...Jim Thompson

Why not write a book and actually help the next generation (or the one
after that)?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Perhaps introduce Jim to your publisher?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

As long as he promises to be polite.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Your publisher can be rude? ;-)

The old guy, George Telecki, retired about a year ago. He was
great--I'd been working with him since about 1998. I don't know the new
person yet.

I have a couple of projects underway, one for a third edition of BEOS,
and a small monograph on photon budgets that I may send to SPIE or
someplace like that if I ever get it done.

Most of Jim's NDAs must have expired by now, so he could write about
probably 90% of the things he's done if he wanted to.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Yes. I'd like to talk. It's offensive to me to endure certain
assholes who are fond of implying I haven't done anything. (But I
still need to get many releases... much of what I've done is current
technology... I still have patent applications in progress.)

I may be physically old, but I'm certainly not mentally.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Permission to publish isn't generally too hard to get, I wouldn't think.
Better get started if you're ever going to, though--if your experience
is like mine, it'll take you a solid year of writing and calculating,
even if you do it really truly full time.

(At IBM in the late 90s, I was blessed with very understanding managers.
When I went into my annual performance review for 1998, I somewhat
nervously told them that no, I really hadn't done any of what we'd
agreed to for that year, but then plunked down a binder containing my
nearly completed book manuscript. Not only did I survive, but they gave
me a nice raise.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Fortunately I now keep copious notes about my designs... provoked by
the Chrysler ignition controller fiasco... I looked back at a 40 year
old design and couldn't figure out how/why it worked... took me over a
week to reconstruct how/why I designed it that way :-]

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

That's good, but for the book to be useful it should IMO be a bit more
than just a Cooks' tour of Jim's designs, laid out for the admiring
multitude. That takes a fair amount of work.

Generalizing the design approaches to make the book more of an
apprenticeship-in-a-box does the most good, I think. There are lots of
books that talk about _what_ people have done, but not so many that talk
about _why_, and very few indeed that give much of a clue about which
ones to chose for a given problem.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Actually, I wrote (and presented) a series of seminars for ICE that
cover the nuts and bolts of bipolar design. I could modernize
something like that.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Most of the advanced amplifier books that I know about present things
like the f_T doubler as though they sprang from the forehead of Zeus,
and then analyze them. Something about all the messing around you have
to do in order to come up with a useful new topology would be really useful.

Hollister, which is the best of the bunch, has a sort of iterative
progression that I like a lot, but there's something about discovering a
new-to-you topology that makes it your own somehow. Increases the
confidence level, anyway. I reinvented some of the classical small
circuits before I knew that they were classical--I expect that many of
us who started out as hobbyists did.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Greetings Phil,
What you said about discovering something new to you makes a lot of
sense. Partly because you then understand it. When trying to
understand the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle I thought about it but
didn't really get it. But when I thought of a mechanism that
illustrated to me how it worked it all clicked. Sometime later I read
an article that used the same explanation that I had "invented". I was
not surprised of course. Good ideas, because they are good ideas, tend
to be discovered by lots of folks.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Why not write a book and actually help the next generation (or the
one after that)?

That's in the plan.

YAAAAAAYYYYY!

(As long as it doesn't cost as much as Phil's.)

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Why not write a book and actually help the next generation (or the
one after that)?

That's in the plan.

YAAAAAAYYYYY!

(As long as it doesn't cost as much as Phil's.)

Yo' mama.

Books on electronics, even analogue, have a much bigger potential market
than optics books. So far I've sold about one copy for every 3 members
of the Optical Society, but that's still only about 6000 copies.
Getting the same market penetration in the IEEE would be about 140,000
copies.

You have to amortize the cost over significantly smaller print runs.
Besides, mine's over 800 pages of small print!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Why not write a book and actually help the next generation (or the
one after that)?

That's in the plan.

YAAAAAAYYYYY!

(As long as it doesn't cost as much as Phil's.)

Yo' mama.

Books on electronics, even analogue, have a much bigger potential market
than optics books. So far I've sold about one copy for every 3 members
of the Optical Society, but that's still only about 6000 copies.
Getting the same market penetration in the IEEE would be about 140,000
copies.

You have to amortize the cost over significantly smaller print runs.
Besides, mine's over 800 pages of small print!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Hey! I bought a copy and I'm not even a member of the Optical Society
;-)

I'm somewhat cavalier when it comes to buying books... just one new
good idea acquired makes it worth the cost.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Agreed. Besides, I don't belong to the IEEE any more either.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Found, while cleaning up the website documentation...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SE...erIgnition.pdf

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Does anyone? The Benefit/Cost ratio has become _very_ poor.

Likewise I'm seeing rumblings on the MIT list... complaining about
alumni being excessively charged for library access.

...Jim Thompson