Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default PSpice Netlisting/Template Trick

Just discovered (or re-remembered :-), in PSpice...

To just have the color of an LED showing in the schematic (I hate
over-klutzy drawings), I just enter color and the template collects
the model name...

Template= X^@refdes %1 %2 My\@COLOR\@LED
COLOR=RED
LED=LED

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 13:01:58 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Just discovered (or re-remembered :-), in PSpice...

To just have the color of an LED showing in the schematic (I hate
over-klutzy drawings), I just enter color and the template collects
the model name...

Template= X^@refdes %1 %2 My\@COLOR\@LED
COLOR=RED
LED=LED

...Jim Thompson

Sounds like you're simulating my "LED differential pair" circuit.

It works, doesn't it.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Just discovered (or re-remembered :-), in PSpice...

To just have the color of an LED showing in the schematic (I hate
over-klutzy drawings), I just enter color and the template collects
the model name...

Template= X^@refdes %1 %2 My\@COLOR\@LED
COLOR=RED
LED=LED

...Jim Thompson

Sounds like you're simulating my "LED differential pair" circuit.

It works, doesn't it.

That simulation takes a loooong time to run.
Mikek :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Just discovered (or re-remembered :-), in PSpice...

To just have the color of an LED showing in the schematic (I hate
over-klutzy drawings), I just enter color and the template collects
the model name...

Template= X^@refdes %1 %2 My\@COLOR\@LED
COLOR=RED
LED=LED

...Jim Thompson

Sounds like you're simulating my "LED differential pair" circuit.

It works, doesn't it.

That simulation takes a loooong time to run.
Mikek :-)

"Sounds like"??? The netlist I provided is that of the PSpice
schematic I published earlier...

Where I PATCHED Larkin's not-so-well-thought-out circuit, then ran it
both on PSpice and LTspice.

The reason is takes a "loooong time to run" in LTspice has nothing to
do with run time, but is all about the poor library handling in
LTspice. Watch the message tray in LTspice to see what is happening.
I posted a separate message addressing this library (mis)behavior.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Hi Jim,
I don't have a clue if it really takes a long time to run.
I was just picking on you, Larkin tried to drag you into an argument
and it had been 4 days with no response.
Guess you were just being the bigger man. Good job!
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Actually it seems to... but all the excess time is taken up by
only the location of the components used, then runs. LTspice checked
_every_ component in my library, then barfed because a component not
even being used by the schematic, had a syntax LTspice didn't
understand... like my digital behavioral stuff. So I had to pare down
MyLib.lib to MyLibLTC.lib, containing only LTC-syntax-compatible
components. It's still "slow" because of LTspice checking _every_
component.

Maybe I can figure out a trick to get around that... like create a
schematic-specific library on the fly

I was just picking on you, Larkin tried to drag you into an argument
and it had been 4 days with no response.
Guess you were just being the bigger man. Good job!
Mikek

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

[snip]

Aha! Solution right under my nose... PSpice has a compression utility
that "packages" _only_ the needed components and models. (Conceived
originally to allow passing a schematic to another PSpice user, who
has his own symbols and models.)

So, a little klutzy, but it'll work... compress, uncompress, and the
..CIR file will now library only the required components.

Thus I can address quickly circuit questions that come up here, by
doing my solutions in PSpice, but conveying the content easily to the
LTspice user.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson Inscribed thus:

wrote:

[...]

Neat !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

LTspice to PSpice Conversion? Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 0 February 12th 10 05:41 PM
PSpice Logic Levels Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 0 September 4th 08 11:26 PM
Dovetail template Max Woodworking 1 February 19th 08 07:41 PM
Convert HSpice Diode Model to PSpice? Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 4 March 31st 07 10:10 PM
ORCAD Pspice (student version) TomH Electronics 3 February 8th 05 01:27 AM