Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default I'd guess that NY State will ban 3D printers...

I'd guess that NY State will ban 3D printers...

http://tinyurl.com/azk5no7

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 1/30/2013 11:42 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I'd guess that NY State will ban 3D printers...

http://tinyurl.com/azk5no7

Now you need a license for the lower receive.
I think there will be more licenses for gun part.

Besides that publishing of 3D ready gun models will be prohibited.

3D printing service companies will get fines if they print gun parts.
The owner of the 3D printer will be liable for damages imposed by there
products.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 15:42:15 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I'd guess that NY State will ban 3D printers...

http://tinyurl.com/azk5no7

...Jim Thompson

There's no limits to stupidity when you use emotion to manipulate and
control people; it has worked for politicians and popes for
centuries..

Smelting iron should be illegal by that logic, and charcoal?

Index fingers...
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 01/31/2013 10:10 AM, tuinkabouter wrote:
On 1/30/2013 11:42 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I'd guess that NY State will ban 3D printers...

http://tinyurl.com/azk5no7

Now you need a license for the lower receive.
I think there will be more licenses for gun part.

Besides that publishing of 3D ready gun models will be prohibited.

There's a practical plan--look how well it worked for the music industry.

3D printing service companies will get fines if they print gun parts.
The owner of the 3D printer will be liable for damages imposed by there
products.

Good luck with that one too. It's not like you can run a ballistics
test on a plastic magazine, and 3D printers go out of adjustment so fast
that it's really unlikely you could identify the individual machine the
way Ellery Queen et al. used to do with typewriters.

Anyway, you take a USB key down to your local hackerspace, and print
whatever you like. What are they going to do, post sentries?

The problem is people who have lost the will to live, and don't fear the
consequences because they aren't going to leave the scene alive anyway,
and don't believe in an afterlife. Even if there were no semiautomatic
weapons, anyone can make a pipe bomb. This is not a uniquely American
or even modern phenomenon--not just suicide bombers and anarchists. The
Jewish-Roman historian Josephus records that King Herod the Great was so
concerned to prevent public rejoicing over his death that he ordered a
mass execution of prominent citizens to take place upon his demise.
(Fortunately this order was not carried out.)

A flurry of ill-advised lawmaking and outbursts of hatred at perceived
political enemies will not help. Life is dangerous, and ultimately fatal.

I share the deep desire that such things as Newtown should never happen,
but we live in a fallen world, and we ourselves are all evil at some
level. We can't fix that by even the wisest laws, or by our own moral
effort, though we should work for wise laws and strive to treat others
better. (Try obeying your conscience _exactly_ for a month, and you'll
see what I mean. It's impossible.)

That's the bad news that makes the Good News good.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

I'd guess that NY State will ban 3D printers...
http://tinyurl.com/azk5no7
...Jim Thompson

"No technology can be considered successful until it is abused."
(Me, approx 1975)

I guess 3D printing can now be considered successful.

Home gun fabrication is nothing new. Anyone with a knowledge of lost
wax casting, powder metallurgy, or foundry techniques can cast weapon
parts. Same with anyone that has access to numerical control machines
or a small hydraulic stamping press. Cast metals are not easily heat
treated, so there will be limitations on what can be made. For
example, I would not try to fire live ammunition in a cast aluminum
barrel or chamber. If the government really wanted to prevent
do-it-thyself gun making, they would need to also close down all the
machine shops, foundrys, sheet metal stamping shops, etc.

I'm not terribly worried about people cloning conventional firearms.
The design of these weapons has been fairly well optimized over the
years. Building these from inferior materials or using marginal
fabrication techniques is just not going to work. What worries me is
that 3D printing now allows anyone to make creative adaptations, such
as Gyrojet clones, pocket rockets, small rail guns, guided
projectiles, and other non-conventional weapons that don't require
high strength meterials. The only reason such alternative weapons
have not become popular is that currently cheap and available
ammunition makes them economically unattractive.

Please fasten your seat belts. The road ahead is going to be a rough
ride.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

I doubt that it'll be much different. It's the basic goodwill and
instinct for self-preservation that most of us share that keeps us as
safe as we are now. Why would homemade railguns change that?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Damn..I guess...I guess Im one too! Steve B[_9_] Metalworking 0 April 19th 10 05:22 PM
Printers Ken G. Electronics Repair 0 March 11th 07 04:39 PM
Printers Dave Home Repair 5 November 11th 06 01:19 AM
USB PRINTERS West Midlands, UK. UK diy 9 February 9th 05 09:37 PM