Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default The $147.25 Caramel

Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it developed
a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the dentist
cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today... total charge
$147.25.

The dentist admitted to recently having a case where he couldn't get a
crown to release.

He solved to problem by softening a Jolly Rancher in warm water,
sticking it to the crown, then hardening it with air spray, then
pulling... came right off ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 1/14/2013 6:09 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it developed
a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the dentist
cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today... total charge
$147.25.

The dentist admitted to recently having a case where he couldn't get a
crown to release.

He solved to problem by softening a Jolly Rancher in warm water,
sticking it to the crown, then hardening it with air spray, then
pulling... came right off ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Lucky you, I bit a on chip of bone and broke a tooth, cost $750.
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 10:52:44 -0600, amdx
wrote:

On 1/14/2013 6:09 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it developed
a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the dentist
cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today... total charge
$147.25.

The dentist admitted to recently having a case where he couldn't get a
crown to release.

He solved to problem by softening a Jolly Rancher in warm water,
sticking it to the crown, then hardening it with air spray, then
pulling... came right off ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Lucky you, I bit a on chip of bone and broke a tooth, cost $750.
Mikek

I did that in 2009, but I think it only cost me around $450... but I
just broke off a corner.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:
Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it developed
a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the dentist
cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today... total charge
$147.25.

A movie popcorn cost me over $6000.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:59:25 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it developed
a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the dentist
cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today... total charge
$147.25.

A movie popcorn cost me over $6000.

Wow! What happened? Did you break a bridge?

I'm fine today, except for a little soreness... they scraped and
sanitized the gum-line before seating the crown.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:24:07 -0800, Tom Biasi
wrote:

On 1/15/2013 12:59 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:
Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it developed
a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the dentist
cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today... total charge
$147.25.

A movie popcorn cost me over $6000.

Once I bit a 500 Ohm 10 watt ceramic resistor.

When I smoked, I regularly bit off the pipe stems.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:
Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it developed
a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the dentist
cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today... total charge
$147.25.

A movie popcorn cost me over $6000.

Once I bit a 500 Ohm 10 watt ceramic resistor.

When I smoked, I regularly bit off the pipe stems.

...Jim Thompson

That was just my warped sense of humor replying with something on topic :-)

Maybe I was warped as well... I'd be leaning over a breadboard,
soldering iron in hand, biting down on the pipe stem to keep it from
falling out of my mouth... crunch :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:
Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it developed
a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the dentist
cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today... total charge
$147.25.

A movie popcorn cost me over $6000.

Once I bit a 500 Ohm 10 watt ceramic resistor.

When I smoked, I regularly bit off the pipe stems.

...Jim Thompson

That was just my warped sense of humor replying with something on topic :-)

When younger I used to open beer bottles with my teeth. Then I learned
that teeth can actually break... not by experience thankfully. I still
have all that I intended to keep.

Rick

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

A correction;
The first crown (caused by the bone chip) was over thirty years ago,
and cost only $450 not $750. I have not had a bit of trouble that would
make me think I have a crown.
5 or 6 years ago I had 2 crowns, each cost $750, those things hurt
for two years before settling down.
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Generally I've had a root canal on the "remains" before applying the
crown... thus no pain, but lots of $$ :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it developed
a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the dentist
cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today... total charge
$147.25.

A movie popcorn cost me over $6000.

EWWWW!!! That stuff is older than Jim!
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

Maybe I was warped as well...

Was there ever any question? You design Electronics, how can you be
anything else?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:
Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it developed
a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the dentist
cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today... total charge
$147.25.

A movie popcorn cost me over $6000.

Once I bit a 500 Ohm 10 watt ceramic resistor.

Wimp! Let us know when they are at least 600W and finned aluminum.!

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it
developed a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the
dentist cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today...
total charge $147.25.

A movie popcorn cost me over $6000.

Wow! What happened? Did you break a bridge?

Cracked a molar right in half. It was weakened by an earlier root canal.
The remaining part gave off-center support to a crown, so it kept falling
off. I didn't want to destroy the perfect teeth next to it for a bridge, so
an implant was the only choice.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

Maybe I was warped as well...

Was there ever any question? You design Electronics, how can you be
anything else?

Two of a kind make a twisted pair.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

Maybe I was warped as well...

Was there ever any question? You design Electronics, how can you be
anything else?

Two of a kind make a twisted pair.

I've met lots of EEs and no two were alike. Even the Davis brothers.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it
developed a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the
dentist cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today...
total charge $147.25.

A movie popcorn cost me over $6000.

Wow! What happened? Did you break a bridge?

Cracked a molar right in half. It was weakened by an earlier root canal.
The remaining part gave off-center support to a crown, so it kept falling
off. I didn't want to destroy the perfect teeth next to it for a bridge, so
an implant was the only choice.

I had a similar event... vertical crack down thru a root.

Since it was all the way in the back I elected to just have it pulled.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

I had a similar event... vertical crack down thru a root.

Since it was all the way in the back I elected to just have it pulled.

I should also mention that it was during Stallone's 'Cliffhanger'. Then
while watching his 'Daylight' my car was stolen, so I avoid Stallone movies.

zero, and remove the last word.