Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default ReRAM ??

An interesting question came up on the LTspice List this morning
concerning Spice modeling a ReRAM, a resistive element something like
a Memristor, but "different" ;-)

The OP seemed over his head and couldn't quite vocalize how the ReRAM
device behaves.

I tried surfing and ran into the hurdles that any real information is
locked behind the IEEE fiasco.

All other links seemed more like Popular Science reviews than facts.

Anyone know the V-I behavior of these device?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In sci.electronics.basics Jim Thompson wrote:
An interesting question came up on the LTspice List this morning
concerning Spice modeling a ReRAM, a resistive element something like
a Memristor, but "different" ;-)

The OP seemed over his head and couldn't quite vocalize how the ReRAM
device behaves.

I tried surfing and ran into the hurdles that any real information is
locked behind the IEEE fiasco.

All other links seemed more like Popular Science reviews than facts.

Anyone know the V-I behavior of these device?

speaking of, can anybody clearly explain a memristor in about 3 sentences
or less?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:
An interesting question came up on the LTspice List this morning
concerning Spice modeling a ReRAM, a resistive element something like a
Memristor, but "different" ;-)

The OP seemed over his head and couldn't quite vocalize how the ReRAM
device behaves.

I tried surfing and ran into the hurdles that any real information is
locked behind the IEEE fiasco.

All other links seemed more like Popular Science reviews than facts.

Anyone know the V-I behavior of these device?

speaking of, can anybody clearly explain a memristor in about 3
sentences or less?

1: It's really cool.
2: It's phenomenal.
3: It's revolutionary.

There -- isn't that easy?

OK, you're going to get all anal retentive and tell me that you didn't
want the manager's overview. Fine. Here's my understanding of a
memristor:

It is a device that acts like a resistor whose resistance is proportional
to the integral of all of the current that has ever flowed through the it.

Oops. That's only one sentence. Sorry.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 22:00:20 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

In sci.electronics.basics Jim Thompson wrote:
An interesting question came up on the LTspice List this morning
concerning Spice modeling a ReRAM, a resistive element something like
a Memristor, but "different" ;-)

The OP seemed over his head and couldn't quite vocalize how the ReRAM
device behaves.

I tried surfing and ran into the hurdles that any real information is
locked behind the IEEE fiasco.

All other links seemed more like Popular Science reviews than facts.

Anyone know the V-I behavior of these device?

speaking of, can anybody clearly explain a memristor in about 3 sentences
or less?

Bwahahahahahaha :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:
[...]

So the resistance INCREASES and approaches some asymptotic limit?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 11/15/2012 5:00 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
In sci.electronics.basics Jim wrote:
An interesting question came up on the LTspice List this morning
concerning Spice modeling a ReRAM, a resistive element something like
a Memristor, but "different" ;-)

The OP seemed over his head and couldn't quite vocalize how the ReRAM
device behaves.

I tried surfing and ran into the hurdles that any real information is
locked behind the IEEE fiasco.

All other links seemed more like Popular Science reviews than facts.

Anyone know the V-I behavior of these device?

speaking of, can anybody clearly explain a memristor in about 3 sentences
or less?

If you can't get them, does it matter? I'll wait for the spec sheet.

What I want to know on the theory level, is how it is a "fourth" element
of basic electronics that was predicted by theory? I've heard that
claim, but it was never explained in any detail at all.

Rick
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 18:40:09 -0500, rickman wrote:

[...]

Google memristor Leon Chua

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In sci.electronics.basics flipper wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Well, it does if the current is going ---- thata way. If it's going
----- thisa way it decreases.

The sign matters.

...Jim Thompson

so it truly is as meaningless as it sounds.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In sci.electronics.basics John Larkin wrote:
[...]

doing that or reading any other story about them just makes them think I'm
listening to some beggar with a sob story about how they need money to get
a train ticket. None of it stacks up or makes any sense.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 00:23:18 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

[...]

Chua's latest definition of memristor would include fuses, antifuses,
and anything that burns out when you run current through it.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 18:26:06 -0600, flipper wrote:

wrote:
[...]

You have very little imagination. It makes a very nice non volatile
memory, to name but one use.

Yep. But the stated behavior is quite vague, and my surfing today
indicates that planned roll-out in 2013 has been delayed to at least
"mid-decade" whatever that means.

Sounds like a wet dream that turned out to be **** running down your
leg... sort of like Chris Matthews' "thrill" :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Sort of sounds like that review-accepted IEEE paper that was about a
piece of wire.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 11/15/2012 7:24 PM, flipper wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 18:40:09 -0500, wrote:

On 11/15/2012 5:00 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
In sci.electronics.basics Jim wrote:
An interesting question came up on the LTspice List this morning
concerning Spice modeling a ReRAM, a resistive element something like
a Memristor, but "different" ;-)

The OP seemed over his head and couldn't quite vocalize how the ReRAM
device behaves.

I tried surfing and ran into the hurdles that any real information is
locked behind the IEEE fiasco.

All other links seemed more like Popular Science reviews than facts.

Anyone know the V-I behavior of these device?

speaking of, can anybody clearly explain a memristor in about 3 sentences
or less?

If you can't get them, does it matter? I'll wait for the spec sheet.

Next year.

What I want to know on the theory level, is how it is a "fourth" element
of basic electronics that was predicted by theory? I've heard that
claim, but it was never explained in any detail at all.

It's an 'element' because it cannot be constructed from the other
'elements'.

I don't care about the label "element". I care about the idea that it
fills a gap in the general electronics theory as a "fourth element".
I've never found exactly what that is supposed to mean.

Rick
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:
[...]

yeah, something that can barely be described and doesn't even exist is a
great type of memory.

at least bubble memory exists.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

anybody interested in my room temperature superconducting cold fusion
memristor technology?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Only if it includes a global warming component, and some stem cells.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:35:39 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

An interesting question came up on the LTspice List this morning
concerning Spice modeling a ReRAM, a resistive element something like
a Memristor, but "different" ;-)

The OP seemed over his head and couldn't quite vocalize how the ReRAM
device behaves.

I tried surfing and ran into the hurdles that any real information is
locked behind the IEEE fiasco.

All other links seemed more like Popular Science reviews than facts.

Anyone know the V-I behavior of these device?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Lots of worthless PhD stuff out there. Weaned to engineering level, I
found people addressing modeling...

http://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitst...iKerur2010.pdf
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/c..._210_214-4.pdf
http://www.roznovskastredni.cz/biole...es/eds10_1.pdf
http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.3210
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/~goster/pdfs/Memristor.pdf

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

It has that too, it uses fuzzy logic.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

An interesting question came up on the LTspice List this morning
concerning Spice modeling a ReRAM, a resistive element something like
a Memristor, but "different" ;-)

The OP seemed over his head and couldn't quite vocalize how the ReRAM
device behaves.

I tried surfing and ran into the hurdles that any real information is
locked behind the IEEE fiasco.

All other links seemed more like Popular Science reviews than facts.

Anyone know the V-I behavior of these device?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Lots of worthless PhD stuff out there. Weaned to engineering level, I
found people addressing modeling...

http://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitst...iKerur2010.pdf

exciting stuff there, can't wait to see the meminductor and memcapacitor.

I call shots on the memsuperconductor.

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/c..._210_214-4.pdf
http://www.roznovskastredni.cz/biole...es/eds10_1.pdf
http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.3210
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/~goster/pdfs/Memristor.pdf

...Jim Thompson

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Powered by a fuel cell.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

"flipper" wrote in message

The 'elements' fit in the formed quadrants. Going clockwise you
have in the lower left an inductor. Upper left is the resistor and
upper right is the capacitor. The lower right is either 'missing'
or a 'memsistor'.

(view fixed font)

voltage
^
resistor | capacitor

current ---------+------------ charge

inductor | ?????
flux

Its a "flux capacitor"!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeLorean_time_machine

It might also be modeled by a battery or a motor. Instead of *dissipating*
power as voltage and current (resistor), it *stores* power in the form of
flux and charge, either by chemical reaction or by rotational inertia.

Paul

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

"P E Schoen" wrote in message
It might also be modeled by a battery or a motor. Instead of
*dissipating*
power as voltage and current (resistor), it *stores* power in the form
of flux and charge, either by chemical reaction or by rotational
inertia.

Not necessarily. The antidiagonal entries on the plot of four quantities
store energy, while the upper-left, at least, dissipates power. Perhaps
the entire main diagonal dissipates.

- Resistance is the ratio of voltage to current; the product is power
(real dissipation, nonconservative).
- Capacitance is the ratio of charge to voltage; the product is energy
(stored, conservative).
- Inductance is the ratio of flux to current; the product is energy
(stored, conservative).
- Memristance is the ratio of charge to flux (or the inverse, whichever);
the product is technically energy * time, or momentum * length. Doesn't
really make sense.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 15:16:14 -0600, flipper wrote:

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 20:37:27 -0500, "P E Schoen"
wrote:

"flipper" wrote in message
. ..

The 'elements' fit in the formed quadrants. Going clockwise you
have in the lower left an inductor. Upper left is the resistor and
upper right is the capacitor. The lower right is either 'missing'
or a 'memsistor'.

(view fixed font)

voltage
^
resistor | capacitor

current ---------+------------ charge

inductor | ?????
flux

It’s a "flux capacitor"!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeLorean_time_machine

It might also be modeled by a battery or a motor. Instead of *dissipating*
power as voltage and current (resistor), it *stores* power in the form of
flux and charge, either by chemical reaction or by rotational inertia.

Paul

The units for a memristor is said to be Ohms. It dissipates just like
a resistor. This has been used to argue it's not a new fundamental
device since, it is claimed, a new fundamental device would require a
new unit of measure. I'm not saying that's 'true', just that it's an
argument made. Note, however, that they're both a ratio of (in
generalized terms) 'quantity vs potential' with the difference being
one is the differential of the other. e.g. dq-idt. It might be better
to call the memristor unit Rt, or OhmT, to accommodate the 'memory'
function.

Or, put another way, it strikes me that saying 'ohms' for a memristor
is akin to noting the volt and current of an inductor or capacitor at
a specific moment in time. It's valid for that moment but is different
at others and the same goes for the memristor's 'Ohms'. It changes
over time, depending on flux and charge, so Ohms is an insufficient
measure of it's overall, time variant, characteristic.

A battery is not a passive device and a motor is not fundamental as it
can be modeled by fundamental devices.

Someone mentioned the diagonal. Yes, the inductor-capacitor diagonal
are energy storage elements. The resistor-memristor diagonal are
dissipative elements.

From considerable searching I conclude that the ReRAM is something
your door-to-door sweeper salesman might be hawking. Lots of claims.
Little do. Those who _were_ going to do non-volatile RAM with it are
"delaying" entry into the market for several years.

Even ran across a thesis and several papers where the "demonstrated"
Spice model had dangling nodes ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |